A different kind of NPC mail

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
nobody

A different kind of NPC mail

Post by nobody »

I've been thinking for a while it would be nice to have a means of writing to NPCs that are backstory relevant rather than world/game relevant. If I recall correctly, npcmail is not a thing here because in the past that kind of command has created inaccurate expectations and excessive work. To be clear, I'm not asking for *that* kind of mail. Instead, I'm asking for something that allows our characters to mail a letter to our parents in Ivial, our sibling in Parr, our rival in Tol Rhun, our mentor in Tatlhuecatn, or our lover in Nuum, with the expectation that most mail sent out of the Lost Lands isn't going to make it there, and even if it does, return mail likely won't make it back, and even if it does, who knows how long it will take? In other words, it would create an opportunity for our characters to send a communication that GMs could read and could reply to, but for which there is no actual expectation that the letters are ever read.

Mailing COD should be disabled for these addresses.

Minimal implementation:
Set up a post box for "outside lost lands mailing" at 99999 and then maybe put up a sign.

A more robust implementation:
Set up mailboxes by place:
99999 Ivial
99998 Tol Rhun
99997 Sirak Drauth
99996 Karnath
99995 Ancient Lands
99994 Nuum
99993 Parr
99992 Tyr-Gwyrd
99991 Khaldea
99990 Lost Lands
99989 Tatlhuecatn

Set varied mailing cost multipliers based on distance/risk and maybe add an auto-delay feature so if a GM reads a letter and decides to reply they could write it up and have it arrive two weeks later or three months later or whatever.
Rias
DEV

Re: A different kind of NPC mail

Post by Rias »

Hmmmm, I could see this possibly being a thing. It'd be a fun way for GMs to learn a little more about PCs.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO