Speech in emotes

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
notgreg

Speech in emotes

Post by notgreg »

It would be crazy helpful for my old eyes if the emote command could detect when you use quotes and highlight those bits in a different color! Just in terms of keeping up with what people are saying.
Lexx416

Re: Speech in emotes

Post by Lexx416 »

Honestly, same. I'd maybe make this a toggle/option, just in case folks don't want that highlighted/color difference for whatever reason. But it'd be super helpful - this is something I struggle with, especially in rooms that have 4 or 5 or more people all doing a mix of Says and Emotes
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

This would be quite epic.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Any color suggestions? Limited to the few ANSI colors available seen elsewhere in the game.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Perhaps colouring the action dark-grey and keeping the text white may work?
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

I'd possibly go with the "green" that is currently used for "XYZ says,"?
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Onasaki

Post by Onasaki »

The Green for Says works, but I like the idea of a Dark Grey to contrast with the white.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
nobody

Post by nobody »

While the speech in emotes is being worked on, could I request that that speech also get picked up with UYTO. It's soooo inconvenient when I'm eavesdropping and am missing half of the conversation.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I played around with the colors a bit. Dark gray action text get lost too easily in the black background. Keeping the action text bright white and making the speech text either plain white or "speech green" didn't seem to work well with my brain. I eventually settled on having it match the coloring of the SAY command, so action text is in the bright green and speech text is in default white. My mind seems to like that better, equating it with just a fancier say and matching up nonverbal action text with the green and the actual verbal speech text with the default white just like in SAYs.

That worked for me anyway, but I'm happy to hear feedback. This is of course one of those things that may come down to a simple matter of taste so it will likely simply stay how it is unless there's an overwhelming majority who prefer another specific color combination.
nobody wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm While the speech in emotes is being worked on, could I request that that speech also get picked up with UYTO.
Done! And the speech bits are also extracted and shown to nearby listeners if they can't visually see the emoter (hiding, room is dark or extremely foggy, etc).
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Zombilicious

Post by Zombilicious »

Having it resemble the SAY command will probably be beneficial. Also, regarding the new changes to say in stealth, perhaps we could set a modifier that we feel adequately suits our characters' voice (perhaps from a pre-determined list) to replace the number with. Would it work perfectly, no, but some people _do_ sound the same IRL and it would at least give variation.
:verungnr_tentacles: :vodr_trident: