Rogues and staggering abilities

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Verel

Rogues and staggering abilities

Post by Verel »

Hi!

I know this is my first topic, so I hope I can convey what it is I'm hoping for.

Rogues are weak in combat. This makes perfect sense. They're not a warrior based guild, and I fully understand this.

This being the case, I think since they're generally weak in combat, they need some real advantages. Not just increased dodge and a very minor dirty trick that does basically nothing to help out those rogues who, knowing they're going to be weaker than a warrior, decide to fight anyway.

There's got to be some kind of ability that staggers the opponent long enough t get a strike in. Dirty trick doesn't provide for this because it only lasts a few seconds and by the time you need to get a strike in, they're not staggered and are fully capable of punishing your attempt.

There's got to be something out there, perhaps an increased chance to aim for the legs to knock down your opponent, to make it so that a rogue can run, hide, or attack if they wish to do so.

Right now, rogues have almost no chance against something harder than a vagrant at the infested Tarueka without help from plenty of people out there. And I don't know if its just me, but I'd not like to be always bogged down by the presence of others if I can solo my way through tons of combatants and gain the share of the loot for myself.

just my thoughts.
ThresherAle

Re: Rogues and staggering abilities

Post by ThresherAle »

Verel wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:57 am I'd not like to be always bogged down by the presence of others if I can solo my way through tons of combatants and gain the share of the loot for myself.
It sounds like you're wanting more of a Nightblade experience than a Rogue one. Rogues, especially with Thief's Tricks and Treasure Scavenge, have a great efficient and consistent loop of sneaking hidden through combat zones, getting riln and experience without having to fight by stealing instead, scavenging lockboxes, and popping those stationary boxes that spawn in combat zones. It feels a lot more roguish to me to sneak unseen into a dangerous place and then back out again a little later laden with loot without anyone ever knowing I was there, rather than going in and murdering everyone and walking out covered in their blood and gore.

Not that I'm against Rogues getting more dirty tricks, because I think dirty tricks should be a big part of the Rogue's feel and identity. I just don't think they need to get to the point of allowing Rogues to easily solo through tons of combatants, because then Rogues are just Nightblades with better locksmithing and artifice, and without the need for sorcery buffs.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."