Copying Documents

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Lexx416

Copying Documents

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be nice to be able to copy documents game-side, instead of having to rely on copy/pasting everything (and then reformatting with ^s as necessary).

Ideally this would eventually extend to books, but for now just being able to make a copy of a single page document would be handy - I would suggest it have a little bit of RT involved, something like 3 or 5 RT (or maybe basing it off of the amount of text being copied).

Additionally, I think that normal writing should also incur that same amount of RT (either a static 3-5, or an increasing amount based on what's being written down).

A nice bonus to Linguistics could be shortening the RT in both cases.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Taliaferro

Re: Copying Documents

Post by Taliaferro »

That'd be good! And in "that's a good simple idea; here's a needlessly complicated hijack of a good, simple request" news...

I'd like to see a print shop in Shadgard. I get that it's a one-horse frontier town, but if it's sort of a moderate trading hub with industry and a steam engine and stuff, I don't think a printing press would be implausible.

For a fee you could pay to have however many copies of your handbill/book/pamphlet/playbill/whatever set and printed on the press. Specify the binding and size of your book. Folio, quarto, sexto, octavo, duodecimo, and so on, calfskin, parchment, unbound, vellum, marbled endpapers, gilt edges...

Sorry. I'm going down a rabbit hole designing my own personal Early Modern Printing MUD, I guess. It's gonna be the next big thing. Anyway.

Some early printing presses were converted winepresses, which seems to me like it'd fit with the rustic theme of Shadgard:

https://inkandblood.com/index.php/proje ... -printing/

I'd like to see in the description of the book/document/whatever that it's set in print rather than hand-written. Also, it'd be neat letters that you write had -- like, "Hand-written in black/brown/blue/whatever ink" or pencil or what have you. Maybe you could even have a personal style of penmanship that you could customize, like, "an elegant copperplate" or "a childish scrawl with some of the R's written backwards."

Also, Jefferson famously had one of these doohickeys, for which I can't think of a practical use in the game, but it's neat:

https://www.monticello.org/site/researc ... /polygraph

Further random writing stuff:
Sealing wax with custom seals/signet rings/watch-fob swivel seals or generic designs bought off the shelf.
Folding a letter and addressing it, as was done before envelopes were more common.
Envelopes!
Invisible ink for espionage!

Could be some of this stuff is in game already. I'm green!