extra workrooms

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
tacos

extra workrooms

Post by tacos »

Hi,
I
yesterday while me and a few others were in the workyard, we all had to use the furnace and since there was only one furnace it slowed down what I had to do. I was thinking either we get more furnaces in the current workyard or we add more rooms to the workyard. If more workrooms were added for blacksmithing everyone would get their own space. If more furnaces were added to the current workyard everyone can do what they need to do without slowing down production. I was also thinking the same for leatherworking rooms too.
Marcuson

Re: extra workrooms

Post by Marcuson »

As someone whose character does a lot of crafting, I do sympathize with the frustration of the overcrowded workrooms in Shadgard, but my worry is that everyone will want their own private workroom. That's not actually something I want - I think it's more interesting for characters to be forced to interact with each other and negotiate over the limited availability of equipment. (And thieves and spies need to make a living, too, I guess.)

I think the problems with the overcrowded workrooms in Shadgard will go away once Caer Ioan is opened up.

That said, it'd be nice if the smithy in Stormholdt Castle could be improved. The quenching trough is definitely bugged - it only has a capacity of 1 - and the facilities there could benefit from the addition of ingot molds and a grinding wheel. We could turn that into an in-game thing, with characters contributing labor and supplies to help improve the castle's smithy.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'll consider the possibility of an additional smelting furnace. Like Marcuson, I prefer to keep the facilities public rather than having personal or private work areas where people will hide away from the rest of the playerbase with no chance of interaction. I get that sometimes people just aren't in the mood to interact - I'm that way plenty myself - but I think it's good for people to still at least see each other. It helps the game maintain that feeling that it's alive and there are players playing it and seeing each other around town. Even if some interactions are limited to just a mere nod to acknowledge one another, I think that simple acknowledgement and seeing other people around is good for a community-oriented game.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Maina

Post by Maina »

I don't play a crafter, but could the furnace be instanced like the tub for leatherworkers? Would that fix the issue?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Maina wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:57 pm I don't play a crafter, but could the furnace be instanced like the tub for leatherworkers? Would that fix the issue?
The furnace won't work as an instanced container because it does more than just contain items, with all the heating and cooling time and the pouring lever and the alloying and all that fun stuff. And I do think there's actually some value in occasionally having to bump into and work around other people with some functions. That said ...
tacos wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:02 am I was also thinking the same for leatherworking rooms too.
A change as of a few days ago went in so you don't actually have to put things on the tanning frames anymore. You can clean and scrape pelts from anywhere in your inventory or the room now, as long as there's a tanning frame in the room. I don't believe there's anything leatherworkers need to do that would get in the way of each other at this point, but let me know if I'm forgetting something!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO