Reclamation services

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
nobody

Reclamation services

Post by nobody »

I've been thinking about how to restore to characters the ability to reclaim scrap metal since using the furnace to do so was prone to bugs. I'd love to have a service in the workyard akin to repair to `reclaim` or `scrap` a held object. The service would check:
- If the object is a container, check that it is empty of both solids and liquids
- If the object has components, check which are made of valid metals if any (and take their materials and weights)
- If the object doesn't have components, check if the item is made of a valid metal (and take its material and weight)

If all of that checks out and you use the command a second time to confirm, the NPC takes your item and gives you a bloom or an ingot that weighs an appropriately rounded amount for a fee, or an appropriately reduced amount for no fee (whichever makes the most sense to code up, I'd prefer a fee to keep as much rare materials in game as possible, but I'm not sure how that lines up with design goals). If there are multiple metals, maybe spawn a package, and then spawn multiple ingots/blooms in the package to hand over would again be my ideal, but if design goals are different maybe only reclaim the metal with the highest weight.

And last, a concern - I do not know how this should function with registered items, but I think the nicest thing would be to have the NPC somehow check that and decline to scrap/reclaim registered items.