Ignore command for ESP pendants

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Talyn

Ignore command for ESP pendants

Post by Talyn »

Moreever thought it was a good idea, to have an ignore command to ignore certain auras that you don't want to have in your esp pendant for those who find someone overly annoying. Something like a list in your blackbook that you could review so you could unignore them. If they're in said list it would mute their line of text from the ESP but no one elses. I know it's just as easy to remove your pendant but it was a pretty interesting idea
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Onasaki

Re: Ignore command for ESP pendants

Post by Onasaki »

This idea just further isolates the playerbase, and allows people to twink-ignore people. Ignore functions in a game are never a good function, in OOC or IC. It creates a culture where people can just shut down anyone they don't like. I also, personally think the pendants don't have pinpoint control like that. They're not cellphones. While I understand wanting something like this, in practice it just creates more drama then necessary, and it wouldn't be a healthy function for the game as a whole. Especially when Rias wants to cultivate a cooperative community.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
alila

Post by alila »

Hi,

It is of course only an opinion, but there seems little enjoyment to be found in mechanically implementing an in-character way of limiting interaction like this. There was a paragraph or three here mostly running off on concerned tangents, but in summary: it feels like a very multi-dimensional and unpleasant kind of drama-magnet. If your character is maybe not the nicest person then they should be perfectly capable of making the decision not to respond to someone they dislike, but a coded way to cut someone off from interaction with you and purposefully make it harder for their character to find avenues of rp feels awful? Maybe there are some comparisons to be made to the theft-as-hook versus theft-as-griefing discussion which is around here somewhere, and most who posted there seemed largely in agreement that theft should be carried out in the purpose of story and not in the spirit of depriving a character of agency. I will admit, however, this is a mostly instinctually repulsed reaction; it could be my first impression is making it difficult to think of reasonable or engaging cases where this would not detract from the game. We will already soon have faction and location-imposed restrictions on esp. Providing specific-character-targeting tools for exclusion feels wholly unnecessary.

I am really sorry if any of this reads as overly harsh or critical. It is not denying my overall sentiment is opposed to it, but please feel free to contest any of these points or present some of your own.

-Alila
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm not against a means of temporarily ignoring another aura color, perhaps through a Twilight Eye service similar to aura selection and network attunements. The way I imagine it, the ignorer would still see a brief muted pulse of the ignored aura on communications, but not hear what they actually said. And it would last only for X amount of time.

I can think of reasons I would want to ignore someone for a while, and I'm sure others can as well. If someone was doing nothing but make innuendo puns, or were doing the excessive "stream of consciousness" updates, or spewing some kind of blind verbal vitriol - plenty of reasons out there why my character might want to just not hear it from that person for a while.

ESP is not the be-all-end-all of roleplay and interaction, and I don't think it would be bad for the more chaos/conflict-sowing types of characters to have a reason to possibly temper themselves and their communications a tad in order to ensure they are heard by an audience, if they care about that.

Those are my own thoughts, and I'd like to hear more from other players on this subject.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

As an antagonistic character, I personally do not want to be ignored. You don't like my character or what he says that's up to you, but remove the pendant. I 100% understand oh I shouldn't have to mentality but that's life. It's a game and I know everyone deserves to have fun but when you police and limit my RP cause it hurts your feelings or makes you emotional I think you need to take a step back, breath, and understand all-in-all it's a game. We all deserve to have fun, I don't want to police your RP just like I wouldn't want you to police mine. Though whatever the decision is made for this addition is ultimately up to Rias and I'll continue playing on as is. If it's a Twilight Eye service I think it being a riln sink wouldn't be a horrible idea. IF it's added. In truth, I think everyone is antsy and now knowing there's a possible 'home' for them if they cause conflict. The conflict characters are coming out of their holes. Once the other faction is up and running and people are able to separate the ESP will be fine, plus if they dislike what they're hearing over the 'gray' channel they can tune to their faction channel instead.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I think as a temporary (riln sink) service, this would be fine.

I'm pretty firmly against permanent color-ignoring, because it could be used as a means of metagaming - mostly, the fact that colors can change, so if you were able to forever-ignore a color, what then happens when it changes to be someone else's color because that person changed it? Does the ignore function follow the PC, or the color itself? If it's the latter, what would that mean for a shelved or retired PC, and then someone else grabbing that color when it frees up?

If it's temporary (I'd probably have it last a few bells), that becomes much less problematic.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Zombilicious

Post by Zombilicious »

I think temporary ignoring from an in-character standpoint is reasonable, hard agree. I agree with Talyn that no one should be trying to limit our RP, but I also don't feel that the choice to block a color temporarily if they are being frustrating very long-term -- particularly without having to completely suspend yourself from engaging with others -- is the same as "limiting RP". For instance, sometimes Zahra is a lot and I imagine people would love to turn her off. Sometimes I get frustrated hearing responses from people who seem to be trolling. Maybe Black's talk of heaving bosoms is finally getting to me. Who knows.

I do think it should require riln to do, and only last a couple days, and be reversible if you decide you've changed your mind.
:verungnr_tentacles: :vodr_trident:
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

My only concern with the free-for-all "if you don't like it, leave (take your pendant off)" mentality is that these types of communities tend to end up boiling down to the loudest and most disruptive individuals who don't care about how they impact the rest of the community they're in. Nobody's being muted network-wide, individuals would just be given the option to not have to hear specific other individuals for a while. They'd of course then also have to deal with not knowing what's going on when those muted individuals are significant contributers to whatever's going on at the moment.

Just to clarify: This would only mute the target to the person doing the muting, of course. These are not network-wide mutes.

If a character is particularly forward and open about voicing controversial and potentially offensive or disruptive communications, I don't see why individuals who don't want to hear it shouldn't be able to pay for a service to temporarily tune that out of the voices in their head (and then have to deal with the problems that result from that kind of solution). If the character voicing the communications really wants to be heard by that specific individual, they can then try and find them in person and have a face-to-face discussion about it.

Important clarification: When I say things like "disruptive" I'm talking about characters and in-character actions and topics. I'm not saying I think any players are trying to be OOC disruptive to the community. Conflict between characters is very much a part of these types of games, and I enjoy that kind of thing (hence the Shadgard/Caer Ioan thing we've got starting up now). I'm just referring to characters who are intentionally designed to stir the pot more, or are aligned with more controversial causes and enjoy making that a prominent part of who their character is. These types fall on both sides of the alignment/faction spectrum divide.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

Fair enough! As I said, I love the game, I'm going to continue playing the game with any changes that happen. I just know that my character is going to do what my character does. If he gets muted he gets muted. I don't typically act the loudest out of the group so we'll see what happens!
-NotRias
alila

Post by alila »

Maybe a few bells is okay, if it strongly pushes the idea of something temporary while hot tempers, sharp wits, loudly voiced opinions, simmer down, and not a way to more or less permanently ignore someone simply because you find them even minorly annoying for whatever reason. I still personally strongly dislike a mechanic for this, but can accept it is out of personal bias and feelings, and maybe not much else.
Rias wrote: Important clarification: When I say things like "disruptive" I'm talking about characters and in-character actions and topics. I'm not saying I think any players are trying to be OOC disruptive to the community. Conflict between characters is very much a part of these types of games, and I enjoy that kind of thing (hence the Shadgard/Caer Ioan thing we've got starting up now). I'm just referring to characters who are intentionally designed to stir the pot more, or are aligned with more controversial causes and enjoy making that a prominent part of who their character is. These types fall on both sides of the alignment/faction spectrum divide.
However, I will add that the three-paragraph tangent on the previous post, ultimately redacted for convoluted longwindedness, was about concerns related to this exact kind of conflating and the drama which might arise from it: players feeling ignored and trying to circumvent it or feeling offended by it, the ones ignoring it becoming upset someone is trying to circumvent their esp ignores, a subtle encouragement to form cliques which might isolate specific players, or the way an in-character ignore feature might result in arguments over the harassment policy. ESP is not all of social interaction, this is true, but it is a respectable amount of it. ESP is also frequently where most of the non-ESP social gatherings originate. The fact someone else felt the need to make an important clarification along similar lines is not super reassuring in this regard.

This being said, and maybe repeating myself some so as to not end on a rude note, maybe a very short duration, on the order of bells and chimes, would hopefully ameliorate much of this by emphasizing it is intended as a tool of present circumstance and not meant for long-term use on a single person.