minor clothing things

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
alila

minor clothing things

Post by alila »

These are at best tangentially related, but:

Would it be reasonable for padded jackets to be called padded vests instead, since they do not cover the arms? I understand this is most likely to keep the armor check penalties fair across the armor types by having separate arm and torso pieces, but a jacket would suggests sleeves whereas a vest would not.

Padded pants also seem to break a little with belts, especially when something is attached to the belt. It is possible to wear padded pants over regular pants, and both of them are visible wen LOOKing at someone, too.

Finally, is there any chance cloaks could cover a little more for purposes of warmth somehow? Currently, they only cover the back.

Thank you,
-Alila
Onasaki

Re: minor clothing things

Post by Onasaki »

You know, I never noticed that cloaks only covered the back. This sounds like a sort of bug, because you should also be able to *close* a cloak to some extent too. You can pull your arms inside of one, and hold it closed. Or you use a brooch. I noticed that only certain coats can open and close too. Usually the ones you buy from an NPC store, which also have hoods to boot.

However, I can't close a fur longcoat, either.

I imagine the difference between a cape and a cloak should be more then just the time it takes. A cape, makes sense to only cover the back. While a cloak, should definitely cover the shoulders, back, arms, chest, and maybe the legs depending on how long cloaks are imagined to be in this setting.

I think most of us imagine the Lord of the Rings, or Game of Thrones style cloak. With the hood, and the long cape. But there are multiple definitions of 'cape' 'cloak' and 'mantle'. Which are all similar garments, but differ in size, make, and what parts of the body they actually cover.

A mantle gets the shoulders, and the upper arms. Occasionally there's a hood. In some cultures these are also called capes, or cloaks.
A cloak is the hooded cape, that drapes around the shoulders and often comes to the back of the heels, or ankles. Occasionally they're mistaken for 'hooded capes' or simply 'capes'.
A cape a unhooded bit of cloth that one ties around their neck via a brooch or other means. They generally do not cover all of one's body, despite media depiction. They hang along the back, and are generally meant for I think parties, and social gatherings, rather then actual travel.

I'd have images with these things, but the forum doesn't allow images over 1 pixel high. XD
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
Teyarflow

Re: minor clothing things

Post by Teyarflow »

Cloaks keeping arms and chest also warm would be great, even if we have to close them to get it. I might argue abdomen and legs too, but I understand not wanting cloaks to be overpowered warmth wear.

Related to warmth, I feel like we warm up too fast going indoors. I got cold while exploring tonight and took shelter in a ruined cottage and I almost immediately got the messages about no longer being cold. There wasn't even a fire. It might not be a popular request, but I think it would be more interesting if we warmed up more slowly, especially if it's only shelter and no source of heat. Then I would have more reason to build a campfire for warmth purposes.