Recipe Command QOL and Suggestions

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Irylia

Recipe Command QOL and Suggestions

Post by Irylia »

For recipe "known" would it be possible to add an identifier on the end so you don't get every recipe your character has ever learned in a massive list every time? For instance: recipe known weave, recipe known build, recipe known woodwork, etc. or, alternatively, recipe known all. It could be similar to how aura works where you can either see the full list or just the available ones. Then maybe if you just type "recipe known" by itself you can get a prompt that gives a list of what the categories are.

Same for recipe "list" when in a room where you can learn recipes. It would be nice to be able to see a list of only the type you're interested in at that moment. It might also be neat if the "list" command gave an indication of what the numbers in parentheses mean. I think most people probably know by now that it's points and skill, but it might be helpful to have it stated anyway.

Recipe "info" command is currently misleading because of the way components are listed. The problem is it states "The following additional components are required to craft this item:" and then gives a list, but it doesn't also say the initial item which must be held in hand, or be on the ground, to start the project. If you're holding something in hand and try to make the project then it makes sense for it to tell you what additional components are needed, but if you're just using the "info" command by itself, it doesn't work out as well. So for instance the recipe for cloth says the additional components are "a skein of white wool thread (x3)", but doesn't say that you also need to have a piece of thread in hand already to even start. If someone is trying to calculate how much cloth they can get for their thread, they're going to potentially misunderstand what they'll end up with. It might be better to either change the "additional components" line to be just "the following components" and give the full list of items, or to add a line that says what item you need to start the process and then keep the additional components as-is.

Also with recipe info - sometimes the additional components materials are too specific or not specific enough. Going back to the cloth example - it says "white wool thread", but any color thread will work and it doesn't necessarily have to be wool that you use. Yet the bowstring recipe states components are also "white wool thread" and wool isn't even allowed to be used for bowstrings, cordage is. It might be good to change the components list to be more simplified and less specific (thread, cordage, cloth etc.), and then add another line that lists materials acceptable to use (wool vs thornleaf, copper vs iron etc.).

Anyway, just some things to consider. If anyone else has ideas about this please post. Feedback is always appreciated.
nobody

Re: Recipe Command QOL and Suggestions

Post by nobody »

I would also like to see the future item description (or part of it) in recipe info to give more info about what that item is. I learned the spindle recipe today thinking I was learning how to make a drop-spindle for spinning thread. I ought to have known better, but alas, one spindle later I was like, "Oooooh! Thaaat kind of spindle."

Edit to add: I feel like the item descriptions also need a shout out for how exceptionally helpful they are. After I examined that spindle, I knew exactly what it was for. I had a similar experience with the small stopper item, and the first time I read the crossbow nut / trigger nut description it blew my mind. In short, the item descriptions are great!
Last edited by nobody on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Definitely agree with this. I've had issues with that a few times where I look at a recipe and I'm like - what is that even for? Is it a component of something else? Knowing what an item might be part of or used for or even defining what the item is in relation to COGG would be great.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

nobody wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:36 pm I would also like to see the future item description (or part of it) in recipe info to give more info about what that item is.
Great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. This is now a thing!
>recipe info spindle
Information on the spindle recipe (woodwork):
Sample description: A thin length of pine wood, used with a fireboard to kindle fires.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO