MetaPrefixes

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

MetaPrefixes

Post by Rias »

The new MetaPrefixes option has been added. It's off by default, and can be toggled via the OPTIONS command. If a player turns the option on, it will show that player (but not others) prefixes in front of specific actions like uses of the SAY command, the EMOTE command, and room-to-room movement messaging. This is to aid in setting up handy triggers or plugins or other such stuff. Finally, I can have movement sounds in my soundpack!

Examples:

==========

emote does a little dance
::EMOTE:: Rias does a little dance.

::MOVEMENT:: Tester arrives from the southeast, carrying a branch.

'#cheerfully Hello there!
::SAY:: You cheerfully exclaim, "Hello there!"

::SAY:: Tester angrily snaps, "Get lost."

==========

If anyone has any suggestions on what else might have a meta prefix, let me know here.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: MetaPrefixes

Post by Rias »

MetaPrefixes can now be toggled individually via the METAPREFIXES (or MPF) command. The option is obsolete and has been removed, so people who were using MetaPrefixes before will want to use the new command to enable the ones they want to use.

I've also added the RoomID MetaPrefix option, which will display a room's unique ID on its own line before the name/description/etc. I figure this will be handy for automapping and travel scripts and the like. Do note that some unique circumstances like mazes or other room-based puzzle stuff might have room IDs not show, or show deliberately incorrectly, to prevent meta-ing through said puzzles.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Could we get Metaprefixes for the ESP network, please?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Serity

Post by Serity »

Also, for canned socials in general, please. Whether someone responded in the affirmative or negative because they did 'nod' or 'shake' definitely changes the meaning of the words around it.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Serity wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:32 pm Also, for canned socials in general, please. Whether someone responded in the affirmative or negative because they did 'nod' or 'shake' definitely changes the meaning of the words around it.
I've been pondering this on a few minutes (since it was brought up in #Technical), but I wonder if a way to tag any visible/audible (emotes, says, canned socials, attacks, etc.) output from another entity (maybe limited to JUST people you have remembered/named?) with a MPF would be a clean, alternative way of handling this.

edited to add: I've since pondered on this
Last edited by Lexx416 on Fri May 20, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

A metaprefix for death or defeat would be greatly appreciated. Something to the effect of:

::DEFEAT:: A restless skeleton falls to the ground with a clatter, small tendrils of ebon mist rising from the bones.

::DEFEAT:: A rotting raven has been defeated.

::DEFEAT:: A mossy shambler falls into a lifeless heap of broken twigs and dead leaves.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Serity wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:32 pm Also, for canned socials in general, please. Whether someone responded in the affirmative or negative because they did 'nod' or 'shake' definitely changes the meaning of the words around it.
Not sure how complicated 'MPF's are supposed to be, but how about the following?

Code: Select all

> smile
::SOCIAL{SMILE}:: Maya smiles.

> smile self
::SOCIAL{SMILE}:: Maya smiles quietly to herself.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Perhaps this is a bit, ahem, meta, but a way to tell apart GM sent messages rather than simple room echoes would be nice. Sometimes it really is hard to tell, and it sucks emoteing at an autorepeating timer
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.