Stump removal

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

Stump removal

Post by Rias »

It is now possible to HITCH a mount to a stump to make an attempt to remove the stump. Rope is required, and the rope will take durability damage from each attempt. Any group members will automatically lend their aid to attempts, as long as they have enough energy and are not disabled by some effect, sitting or lying down, etc.

The following conditions factor into how much progress is made per attempt:
- Mount strength (very heavily factored)
- Strength of each group member, with special messaging so those particularly strong members can show off their remarkable might.
- The Constitution attribute helps a little bit - again with some special messaging so they can show off their remarkable stamina.

Now if only there were some way someone could jump-start some new growth with all that additional space made available by stump removal ...
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Stump removal

Post by Rias »

P.S. Due to the complicated nature of potentially involving multiple people (and mounts), this is a single large chunk of energy loss and roundtime. It may be upgraded to an auto-repeating function sometime, but that would be a lot of effort for a very niche case. Maybe sometime when more large group efforts like this are implemented and it becomes more widely applicable.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Today, we uprooted a stump and grew a new sapling. It was incredibly satisfying to perform and the result was greaet as well! Thank you for this great update.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Dennis wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:16 pm Today, we uprooted a stump and grew a new sapling. It was incredibly satisfying to perform and the result was greaet as well! Thank you for this great update.
This is a little thing that makes a big difference. Really cool.
"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

You mentioned "multiple mounts" but in a recent test, my mule didn't help out when someone was having their workhorse pull the stump (or at least it didn't reflect that it was assisting in any way). Are secondary mounts in the group supposed to be assisting the primary?
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I tried this a bit this morning and wanted to point out a few things and ask some questions:
- I noticed that the rope degrades from new to well-worn after a single stump - even at fine quality. Since rope costs so much thread/riln and doesn't currently have a way to be repaired, it might be a good idea to either reduce the rate of degradation or add something like chain or the opportunity to make a thicker rope specifically for this type of task that will last longer.
- Is it intended that the removed stump just disappears? There is no byproduct from it to chop up or haul away which I found a little odd. This also then means there's a great deal of effort made and resource use for no return.
- If there is not a druid present, will regrowth still begin naturally given enough time?
- Do the trees that grow back match the variety previously present in the room? The ones I saw so far as saplings are all pine so I wanted to make sure not all regrowth will be pine.
- Is it intended that there is no bucket-fill from stump removal? (at least not that I noticed)

Thanks for this amazing addition by the way. I'm so glad we can finally get rid of all those stumps and help regrow the forests.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hey Irylia,

Stump removal is very much a "mass group activity" that you're not going to be able to appreciate performing alone. In the 2 tests I was able to be part of last night, we had a group of 3 people and 1 horse, and were able to remove approximately 1 to 2 stumps per rope depending on the group setup. Assuming a larger group of people provides more power = more progress = more stumps per rope.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I was able to remove a large stump in about 5 "pulls" and still have rope left to use. I didn't have any issues with performing the task with just me and my horse. I'm merely pointing out a concern that maybe rope should last a little longer given current restrictions and availability.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Dennis wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:05 am You mentioned "multiple mounts" but in a recent test, my mule didn't help out when someone was having their workhorse pull the stump (or at least it didn't reflect that it was assisting in any way). Are secondary mounts in the group supposed to be assisting the primary?
Sorry, I meant multiple people, plus the mount used by the person initiating the process. I could make multiple mounts possible, but then I'd be a little sad at someone just bringing a bunch of mounts and uprooting stumps solo (player-wise), instead of getting a group of actual player characters together to help and making it a more of a social thing.
Irylia wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:36 am - I noticed that the rope degrades from new to well-worn after a single stump - even at fine quality. Since rope costs so much thread/riln and doesn't currently have a way to be repaired, it might be a good idea to either reduce the rate of degradation or add something like chain or the opportunity to make a thicker rope specifically for this type of task that will last longer.
Chain is planned (inspired by this stump removal feature), but for now people will just have to decide whether it's worth using rope or not. The amount of wear is just a flat rate per attempt, so for more efficient use of rope you'll want to utilize a strong mount for pulling and get as many group members to help as possible. But hey, now rope has another use and people have more reasons to craft and buy/sell it. I count that as a win.
- Is it intended that the removed stump just disappears? There is no byproduct from it to chop up or haul away which I found a little odd. This also then means there's a great deal of effort made and resource use for no return.
I didn't want to over-complicate things, and wanted to release this before I wrapped up my COGG development for the day. I figure you're out in the wilderness in a forest, there's sure to be old rotting logs and stuff out there that are implied but not actually mechanically there - add uprooted stumps to that. One less thing going toward item bloat, and contributing to litter annoyance because I imagine a lot of people would just leave them in the room for others to take care of.
- If there is not a druid present, will regrowth still begin naturally given enough time?
Yes.
- Do the trees that grow back match the variety previously present in the room? The ones I saw so far as saplings are all pine so I wanted to make sure not all regrowth will be pine.
Yes, it uses the same mechanics that were used to originally seed the areas with flora.
- Is it intended that there is no bucket-fill from stump removal? (at least not that I noticed)
Yes.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Thanks for the answers. Good to know what's intended or not and why, as usual :)