Books

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

Books

Post by Rias »

Books are now a thing! It was a tad more complicated than I originally thought, but here are the book features:

- Use the PAGE (or TURN) command to interact with a book's pages. If you're holding it, PAGE FORWARD, PAGE BACK will work. If it's an item in the room and not in your hands, you can target with PAGE TOME FORWARD, PAGE GRIMOIRE BACK, etc.
- When turning pages, only closing/opening the book is displayed in third-person messaging. This is to cut down on page-turning spam.
- Each page can have its own language. Page 1 could be in Common, page 2 in Giganti, page 3 in Viali, etc. (Note: Use the LANGUAGE command to set your current speaking/writing language)
- For editable books, like normal writing items you can WRITE on a page multiple times to keep adding to it. Note that if the writer is not the same person who wrote what's already there, a change in the handwriting will be noted before the new entry.
- For editable books, use PAGE ADD to add a new blank page to the end of the book. There is currently no limit, but will be soon because as I write this I'm imaging some goober trying to make a book with a zillion pages just to do it.
- For editable books, use PAGE RIP to rip the current page out of the book. This will remove the page from the book and put it in your hand as an individual item. This is irreversible, and there is a confirmation to do so.
- The PAGE command is mentioned when a book-like item is LOOKed at or EXAMINEd, to help people know how to interact with these items.
- The available PAGE subcommands are listed if one simply types PAGE while holding a book-type item.

There are currently journals for sale in the Library of Qamar public shop (inside the library itself, not the annex). As I mentioned, this ended up being more complicated than I thought, so please please report the bugs that are sure to exist when you find them. Use the BUG command in-game to do so, or post them here if it seems too complicated to write up in-game.

Todo: A way to dog-ear specific pages and turn directly to the next/previous dog-eared page of a book.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Jaster

Re: Books

Post by Jaster »

As you said, this was more complicated than you thought so maybe you planned for this, but then couldn't make it work:
- Being able to turn a certain number of pages - like PAGE FORWARD 10 or TURN FORWARD 10 will turn forward by 10 pages.
- Being able to turn to specific page - Like PAGE #10 or TURN #10 will turn to page 10.
- And also BURN BOOK command, to match the soon to be added political climate of Notshadgard. Perhaps this will grant a character a boost to their social credit score.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Jaster wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:21 am - And also BURN BOOK command, to match the soon to be added political climate of Notshadgard. Perhaps this will grant a character a boost to their social credit score.
No, no, the FAQ says it is NOT part of the dominion.

On a more serious note, I feel like these should cost more (in part because bug #3188). I'd have paid 3k each for the ones I bought. It's not as cheap as 500, but it's still less than a hard leather breastplate.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I was trying to think of a good way to page to a specific ... page ... while not muddying up the syntax too much. I'm not sure why I didn't make a simple "PAGE #" work. Like PAGE 10 to go to page 10. I'll see if I can make that work, or if diving back into the code reminds me why I didn't do it in the first place.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
shoryuujo

Post by shoryuujo »

Any chance we could use any sort of color codes while writing in books that could simulate using colored inks? Also, nothing major, but might books be loaded for sale into the book shop in shadgard?