The BACKSTORY command

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

The BACKSTORY command

Post by Rias »

The BACKSTORY command, which can rather amusingly be abbreviated to "BS", is now live and can be used to manage your character's backstory in-game. It's far from a fancy full-fledged text editor, but I think it has some decent management options for an in-game tool. In addition to being able to append, edit, reorder and remove individual segments (paragraphs) one at a time, you can also enter Recording Mode, which will take any line you sent to the MUD and append it to your backstory instead of parsing them as regular commands - until you turn Recording Mode back off. This should be particularly useful for pasting multi-line backstories from a text editor or something.

I've never implemented anything like the Recording Mode thing before, so hopefully it doesn't catastrophically break the game or anything. Please report bugs in-game with the BUG command or here on the BBS, and feel free to post any suggestions for further refinement of this system.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: The BACKSTORY command

Post by Rias »

I wanted to remind everyone that this is a thing! I was just thinking how fun it would be to have two particular player characters vaguely recognize each other since their backstories would believably allow them to have seen or heard of each other at some point, and it made me want to know more PC backstories. The Lost Lands can be a small world compared to the outside, and having PCs recognize faces from their past would be an awesome way to nudge people into interacting and forming stories.

So, if you haven't entered any of your backstory yet, please consider doing so! I'm always happy to help players flesh some things out with their backstories, so don't be afraid to ask. (Though I do insist on being a helper only - your character's story is your own to write, I'm just here to provide the stage and potentially some minor guidance if desired.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Frisbee

Re: The BACKSTORY command

Post by Frisbee »

Damn. Mine is just sitting unfinished... probably in some forgotten folder on this computer. I should get to finishing it up. Thank you for this post.

Re. Two characters vaguely recognising each other, I think I've had that happen, once. A true Shadgardian no-nonsense protective girl I know may or may not have been helping street kids like my main out when they were both younger. hasn't been brought up much, though, which is sad.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.