What other town tasks should be added?

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

What other town tasks should be added?

Post by Rias »

I glanced over the task system earlier, and I'd love to expand it soon. What kind of tasks can be added to a generic "town tasks" pool that the town will send you off to do, and you get paid for and get some experience as a reward? Here's what I've got so far:

- Gather firewood
- Clear paths of overgrowth
- Provide basic woodworking components/goods
- Provide basic metalworking goods
- Deliver message/package/crate

I'd like to eventually have some tasks available for all the different skills, so everyone can feel useful and have a "job" to fall back on when they've got nothing else to do.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Arphaxad

Re: What other town tasks should be added?

Post by Arphaxad »

That looks like a pretty good start for basic town tasks.

I would recommend adding to the tutorial tasks to help folks get familiar with the game and maybe an intro to some of the specific lore that everyone would naturally know or be aware of.

Having only a few town/general tasks will be fine. Depending on the skill, you may want to focus on tasks aligned to skills or skill sets. This would help folks practice some of the more obscure or difficult skills. Not to turn things into a grindfest, but to provide some reasonable alternatives to monster smashing or more traditional training. For example, any skills under the performing set could be practiced in an inn or town square, not to be confused with any guild tasks but viable for a generalist?

Arphaxad
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

-Linguists translating texts and teaching students.
-Climbers, trackers, riders, and bushcrafters rescuing lost travelers.
-Stealthy individuals scouting dangerous territory without engaging in combat.
-Physickers travelling to a known location of wounded individuals in need of help.
-Teaching lore to townsfolk or cataloguing lore in a library.
-Traders assessing goods, or helping manage shipment routes and destinations.
-Fighters training militia and guards at the barracks.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

A few more ideas:

- Construction tasks (not just parts, but completed pieces or more long-term projects that people can work on)
- Clothing drives for the homeless/orphans
- Town healer requesting certain herbs/unguents
- Town market requesting a crop of the week
- Ranchers requested to supply x amount of animal byproduct (milk, eggs, honey) to y location
- Cooks asked to donate baked goods or meals to a shelter
- Hunters being asked to gather a certain amount of meat or pelts for a trade caravan or winter stores
- Smiths supplying the militia with armor/weapons/bullets
- Town group tasks such as culling or donation type tasks that require people with different specialties to work together for the completed goods
- Find a lost child in town and send them home
- Recover lost livestock
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Yay necro - I was thinking it might be nice for some of the outlying "destination" locations for long-distance deliveries to have things to do while there until you can take a delivery to the next place. That way you're not doing this long distance delivery with nothing to do on the way back - potentially spending much of the riln you just earned just on feeding yourself for the trip to and from. While I understand it might be the intent to keep the population in/around Shadgard for RP, it could also be helpful to give people reasons to hang around these other destinations and interact with others who frequent them. Also a lot of the tasks suggested in this thread were never implemented so I wanted to bring attention back here anyway. Here's an older list of ideas from another thread that Jescat posted just to keep things together:
1. Cleaning tables in the inn common room.
2. Stirring dye vats, which could be a skill task for whatever skill will allow us to make dyes. This would also put more dyes on the market maybe, which we really need.
3. Spin thread that people can buy from the market. This is good for up and coming tailors or weavers that may not be able to buy wool, and for people who don't have the time to spin thread.
4. Cleaning the streets, because someone's got to do it right?
5. Some sort of apprentice blacksmith task, again probably skill based
6. Organized caravans that check to see what recipes you have, and tell you to make certain amount of everything you can.
7. Help organize reports at any of the administrative places in town. This could help with linguistics.
8. Some sort of task related to leather working.
9. A cooking task by which you supply the inn with different foods, skill based of course
10. Some sort of milling task.
Here's some other ideas for delivery destinations to have their own task hubs (mostly based on what's already in the game) - obviously there's some crossover.

New Emberlight:
- Local delivery
- Participate in the local fishing contest
- Long-Distance Delivery (Stormholdt, Library, Shadgard)
- Short-Distance Delivery (to the logging camp)
- Clean stables
- Do dishes in tavern

Stormholdt (some might require guild access)
- Clean stables
- Local delivery
- Long-Distance Delivery (logging camp, Shadgard, New Emberlight)
- Short-Distance Delivery (Library)
- Do dishes in kitchen
- Clean sparring area
- Stock shelves in the supplies shop
- Clean/sharpen weapons/armor

Library
- Clean stables
- Shelve books (already in)
- Long Distance Delivery (logging camp, Shadgard, New Emberlight)
- Short Distance Delivery (Stormholdt)
- Stock shelves in the supplies shop