Pricing adjustment

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
nobody

Pricing adjustment

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Virtually all crafted items are automatically priced. The calculation takes into account the following:
- The primary material of the item (iron is worth more than copper)
- The animal type where applicable (wechuge leather worth more than elk leather)
- The number of repetition steps required to craft the item
- The skill required to make the item
- All of the above factors for any components of the item

This generally means the harder something is to make or the longer it takes, the more expensive it will be. It also means an item made with cheap minor components will be worth less than an item made with expensive minor components, even though minor components currently have no mechanical effect (other than affecting price). All that said, the calculation isn't perfect and some processes may have been overlooked regarding their time/effort value, so please do report oddities or bugs.
I have a question for clarification and two recommendations.
- For the number of repetition steps, is the roundtime for those steps taken into account? I haven't done every craft, so I don't know if all the crafts that use steps use the same roundtime, but it seems a 5-second RT step should be worth more than a 3-second RT step.
- I think energy consumption should also be taken into account in the pricing, albeit it would be a very minor adjustment in value for perhaps a significant amount of labor. The current break-even price on energy is 0.0275 riln per energy, and would perhaps make the largest difference for construction and metalworked copper goods that could have been metalcast. It would also help to provide more value to miners and loggers, for whom it is often more beneficial to gain a second skill to process the raw material than it is to just sell the raw materials.
- Reduce the price of branches (and subsequent woodworked items) based on the ease of being able to forage for a suitable branch (usually within 1 to 3 steps to find a large straight branch even with no bushcraft). Shift the value of felled trees that was lost on branches into the large logs, as those are the vastly more scarce resource.

Edit to add: On the riln for energy, I should mention that 0.055 riln per energy is the more generous break even point. If you use that, you'll be paying people a bonus when they sit to rest, though that incentive is there whether there is riln for it or not, so I specified the lower break-even rate assuming people will sit or lie most of the time.
Last edited by nobody on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
nobody

Re: Pricing adjustment

Post by nobody »

And more stuff that I've remembered:
- Have a luxury tag (or tiered set of luxury tags) for some items that push up the market's selling price without pushing up the market's buying price, particularly for better than average quality goods. This would add more economic incentive for both buyers and sellers to seek direct sales for higher quality items and also serve to disincentivize market flooding for higher quality goods. That last part will matter more once crafters are able to create higher quality items and also after they have some degree of control over the quality of their final products.
- It may be beneficial to reduce the markup rate on raw materials as the value of raw materials are increased (if energy and full roundtime of steps are included, it would necessarily increase the value of mined blocks as noted previously) if the current rate is higher than break-even.
nobody

Re: Pricing adjustment

Post by nobody »

And just remembered this morning:
- I think that finished object pricing should also include the cost of wear on tools. I know of two ways to figure that out as a player (converting the roundtime and energy of repair to riln value or using the tool until it breaks and then dividing the tool cost in riln by the output) and zero ways to figure that out as a dev.