Random comments, responses, clarifications, and tidbits

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Random comments, responses, clarifications, and tidbits

Post by Rias »

This thread is for when I go through the backlog of chat or see comments elsewhere or things like that, and want to make a response or comment or clarification that I think would be good for the playerbase at large to know. I'm locking this thread so it can remain an information stream rather than a back and forth discussion about any one topic brought up here, but I encourage anyone with comments or questions on any of the stuff brought up here to make a new topic about it so we can discuss.

==========

Virtually all crafted items are automatically priced. The calculation takes into account the following:
- The primary material of the item (iron is worth more than copper)
- The animal type where applicable (wechuge leather worth more than elk leather)
- The number of repetition steps required to craft the item
- The skill required to make the item
- All of the above factors for any components of the item

This generally means the harder something is to make or the longer it takes, the more expensive it will be. It also means an item made with cheap minor components will be worth less than an item made with expensive minor components, even though minor components currently have no mechanical effect (other than affecting price). All that said, the calculation isn't perfect and some processes may have been overlooked regarding their time/effort value, so please do report oddities or bugs.

==========

Like many weapon terms, the word "rapier" has represented multiple types of sword in various media and even in historic records. In COGG, the rapier is a long-bladed double-edged civilian sword that is lighter and thinner than heavier blades used in war and battlefield situations such as the longsword, but still plenty sturdy.

This is not to be confused with the occasional representation of a "rapier" in some media that are the bendy wobbly needle-pointed pokey swords that often hold no edge for slashing and are frequently seen in sport fencing - I would call these an "epee" or a "foil" were they to be added to the game.

(Note: I am neither a historian nor an expert on weapons. I did some internet researching and what we have in COGG is a result of that Herculean effort.)

==========

COGG Armor Categories Explained:

- "Light" armor is supple and flexible and has minimal impact on movement and maneuverability. It provides protection primarily by absorbing blows.
- "Heavy" armor consists specifically of fully rigid pieces that would ideally turn blows aside rather than absorb the full force of them, but due to its inflexibility it has a far greater impact on movement and maneuverability while wearing it. Hence even "just leather" is considered "heavy" armor when it's treated to become rigid and gain this additional useful armor property of being able to turn blows aside when used well.
- "Medium" armor are protective garments that take a bit from both worlds - the base is generally cloth or leather that is plenty flexible, but rigid pieces (such as small metal plates in brigandine) are added on for greater protective absorption. Or in the case of chainmail, an attempt to make a more rigid material (metal) into a more flexible form.

None of the three armor types should be considered inherently better or worse than the other - they're just all used in different ways with different tactical approaches. (Again: I'm neither a historian nor an expert on combat, though I do try to do some honest internet research and then keep that in consideration when I apply a liberal helping of "gaming balance" mechanics.)

==========

"Parren" is indeed not an option for character race in this game like it was in The Other Game. Parr is a geographic location with a rich mix of races and cultures and can be chosen as a homeland at character creation, and anyone who does so is free to proudly refer to themselves as a Parren rather than (or in addition to) their biological race.

==========

Holding a light source in hand will make it virtually impossible to move about unseen in stealth mode. I'll look into adding some messaging to make that more obvious because we get quite a lot of bug reports about it, but for now here's this PSA about it.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO