Death questions

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
ocayucos

Death questions

Post by ocayucos »

What will death be like? Are we still undying and can get resurrected? Will we lose experience or money or items when we die? A recent changelog mentioned sanity loss, what does that mean? Will there be any chance or risk of permadeath?
Rias
DEV

Re: Death questions

Post by Rias »

What will death be like?
Still up in the air on some of the nitty-gritty, but I can answer your more specific questions.
Are we still undying and can get resurrected?
Yes, player characters are considered Undying and will be able to come back to life after a death. I've flip-flopped on this a bit because people tend to not take death very seriously when it's little more than a minor inconvenience. I decided that ultimately I want this to be a fun game to play, even casually, and I feel that a constant looming threat of permadeath wouldn't work for that.
Will we lose experience or money or items when we die?
I'm trying to make death have a significant enough sting that people take it at least somewhat seriously and try to avoid it. So yes, characters will definitely lose experience when they die. Money or items ... possibly. It may depend on the circumstance and certain factors not yet settled on.
A recent changelog mentioned sanity loss, what does that mean?
There's a wiki/help article on sanity. View it here or type HELP SANITY in-game.
Will there be any chance or risk of permadeath?
I want there to be a risk of permadeath in certain circumstances, but also make those circumstances completely avoidable with a little effort. This will hopefully help drive home the fact that even Undying are at risk of not coming back from death in some situations. How exactly this will be achieved is still up in the air.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

You could do like GS, where you build up something like deeds and if you die without one, it's a permadeath. Make PVP kills not count though.

I think dropping your inventory when you die would be a good sting. That could make PVP get real ugly, though... so not sure. Make it so it can't be looted for an amount of time? That way you have to go and retrieve your things, and it means extremely dangerous areas have an extra danger element because if you died in there with all your equipment, it'd be even worse trying to go back in there without it to find your stuff. Then you could get friends together to help and make an adventure out of it. Instead of going to rescue a corpse, you go to rescue your lost items?
Keleran

Post by Keleran »

Forgive my ignorance if this has been talked about: Perhaps death and sanity are tied together. The more you die the more insane you go until you seek professional treatment. There is the MEDICAL SOOTHE command for medics to calm people down to heal them(need to get that working though). There could be some psychology command to help cure sanity. This is a game, so suspended reality on how quick treatments are to what it takes in real life. But if you die and continue to do so without treatments there will start to be mental affects on your ability to fight and do other life activities.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Yeah, that's a good idea. Death causes a huge amount of sanity loss already, beyond the point where sanity will restore on its own. I think what I'll do is have it so a medical ability (some kind of counselling) can be used on a target once every so often, and rather than it being immediate, it'll cause an effect where sanity restores slowly over time. Anything that would cause further sanity loss would cancel the effect.

With more counselling affinity, the ability's effectiveness could increase and maybe be used more frequently without that cooldown period.

There could be various concoctions able to be crafted that could help increase the rate at which sanity is restored, but don't do any actual restoration on their own.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rastaban

Post by Rastaban »

Will the Rook Parlour be able to perform resurrections?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Signs point to "yes."
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO