Ranged Combat discussion

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Dennis

Ranged Combat discussion

Post by Dennis »

We discussed ranged combat and how the only supported ranged combat at the moment is really just stealth ranged combat. We also discussed that the variety or engagement isn't there, so we all chipped in suggestions on abilities that could be implemented to make a ranged warrior specialization or to make ranged more engaging for everyone. I think we all agreed that a form of open ranged combat would be nice. Shot can be interchanged with cast.

I'm going to categorize them as balance spenders, tactics, and other.

Balance Spenders
stagger shot: A pinning shot with stagger even on block, but not dodge.
tripping shot: A shot aimed at the person or the environment to trigger a trip.
quick shot: loose a shot with reduced rt
mighty shot: a ranged attack with extra accuracy and damage.

Tactics
hawkeye: Tactic that passively improves the person's ability to aim at body parts.
guerilla: Tactic that assists with remaining at distance from melee attackers.
quarrel-shooter: tactic that allows the reloading of two one-handed ranged weapons like a pneumatic pistol or hand-crossbow without needing a free hand. Gun-Kata!

Other
A ranged feint to cause the enemy to unbalance
follow-up shot: If you succeed on an attack by more than 50% you get to fire off a second, weaker shot with your ranged weapon mid-RT. Automatic or quicktime (but people will probably just script it, so... automatic.)
An active command to peel away from melee
A channeled skill or stance to temporarily weight ranged attacks so they roll higher.
Attribute Perception to improve ranged attacks somehow.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Rias
DEV

Re: Ranged Combat discussion

Post by Rias »

One of the struggles I have with ranged is that ranged users want (understandably) to stay at range while they fire at melee foes, but I don't want melee to be reduced to pretty much "don't bother with ranged attackers because closing to melee is an exercise in frustration." The position system also comes with some other unintended side effects like "dangerous" areas not actually being dangerous at all to travel through as long as they don't have ranged attackers, because people can just zip right by melee foes without giving them any chance to get close enough to attack.

I know the more RNG-based system of The Other Game with avoid/ranged/melee positioning could be frustrating for ranged users, but I did like that at least it meant nobody could feel completely safe strolling through an area full of nasty beasts because there was always that chance they'd get a lucky approach roll and get a melee attack right off the bat. Currently here in COGG, you're pretty much guaranteed safety in the vast majority of supposedly dangerous areas thanks to that generous window of a few melee approach attempts after which you can just walk away.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Re: Ranged Combat discussion

Post by Acarin »

What about adding a fixed or skill based moderate chance for melee attackers to bridge the distance and be able to attack in the same round... so in some cases, it requires bridge attempts but every once in a while, something just moves in quickly. Maybe add some additional charge type abilities or things like shadow step to quickly bridge distance or re-establish the gap (depending on what side of the exchange you're on). A general ability or two and maybe some additional specialization specific warrior abilities may help with this.

Or...alternatively... a rush command could be added to the general arsenal of circle/feint... so one could choose to gain advantage through circle/feint while advancing more slowly or just get to the target immediately. A retreat command could be added for ranged users as well so they can try to re-establish distance at the cost of time.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.