Riln Sinks

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Re: Riln Sinks

Post by Rias »

Wish wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:05 am Various scented candles
hair services for horses. You can end up with braided manes and tails, or flowers woven into manes- the hairstyles 'fall out' after a certain amount of time.
Oooh, these are good ones. Cosmetic stuff with a shelf life is great for riln-sinking.

And yeah, long-distance deliveries might need a little tweaking, whether it's lower payout or increased cooldown between tasks. They're good for getting people to learn where other outposts are, but they're probably a little too good for making money/experience considering, as mentioned, they involve literally no skill and virtually no risk, even if lore-wise traveling outside town is considered very scary and dangerous in the Lost Lands. Hmm, that last part makes me think maybe keep the good pay because it's ICly quite difficult to find couriers willing to risk the Lost Lands roads, so the payout -should- be pretty good, and just make the cooldown period longer in order to tone down how effective they are in the effortless experience/riln meta.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Serity

Post by Serity »

Lexx brought this up in the Discord:
Re: expensive festival items - that is why I fully believe participating in labor + combat should cause minor wear and tear to clothing items, so we'll have reasons to get repairs on a regular basis.
My first instinct for wear and tear to clothing items was to be a small - very, very small - fraction of a percentage of durability damage to a random worn piece of clothing for near-any roundtime action, with exclusions where it makes sense (studying, for example), with an additional similar percentage of durability damage to worn footwear for travel time when un-mounted.

Without putting too much thought into it, perhaps somewhere in the realm of 0.001% per second of round time to a random worn piece of clothing, or 0.001% to footwear per second of unmounted travel time. For example, a six second roundtime attack would either add 0.006% durability damage to one random item, or perhaps 0.001% to six random items. The example value of 0.001% puts durability damage at 86.4% per full day of roundtime (86400 seconds), distributed randomly over all the clothing you're wearing (or not, if you're unlucky with RNG).

Obviously, having multiple outfits being switched between would offset how quickly it would take before clothing mending would be urgent, for people who would dislike bothering for repairs so often.
Last edited by Serity on Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I'm actually very much into this. I think this, especially if this was increased to also do a good little hit of durability damage to some clothing items in combat, would both help with riln stuff, and also make some people wear less clothing in general. But that's just a personal dislike.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Tenoji

Post by Tenoji »

Not sure if this has been suggested already as I only skimmed the thread, but have temporary tasks been considered? Or simply tasks that don't return any riln. For example, with recent developments in shadgard, tasks to help beef up town security and/or provide arms/ammunition to the local militia could be a time/riln sink that has some tangible effect beyond directly beefing up the player and/or the player's ability to make riln. Temporarily outfit the militia in better gear, add additional fortifications and so on.

If player-housing ever became a thing, tasks that increase town loyalty/fame could be a pre-requisite to gaining citizenship and eventually the ability to own houses. Maybe even allow for semi-permanent stalls that are separate from the market. While it'll provide riln income down the line, it's something to strive for and can provide incremental riln-sinks along the way and afterwards in the form of permits, maintenance fees, and taxes paid.