Death discussion

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Dennis

Death discussion

Post by Dennis »

We were discussing death mechanics in chat since CvC conflict has been a big interest item for the population recently and I wanted to summarize some of those points here.

1. concern: in CvC areas too, right now someone gets killed then runs right back in immediately as if nothing happened.

2. suggestion: Time to bring back the ol' temporary skill reduction via timer or xp gain to keep people from running back out as if nothing's wrong. Nothing permanent, just enough to say "how about you take a breather for now"

3. remark: current death is forgiving so people are able to provide more feedback on systems and encourage testing, but with introduction of CvC zones and factions might have need to be looked at.
addendum: it was about a minute before a recent CvC death had an individual back in the room with the other party where the individual was more or less unphased by their death.

4. regarding temporary skill reduction via timer or xp gain: a temporary skill debuff would very well dissuade me from running right back out to my doom. Only downside is if I want to run to grab my belongings and gtfo, if I head in with reduced skills I'm probably looking to leave a second corpse behind. Though, perhaps it's not a bad thing to wait a short bit, or take that risk.

4. suggestion: How about jail time immediately after death, forcing people to stay in towns to gather their wits before they can run back out there?

5. discussion: Eh, think I'd rather have a "do not leave the city" instead of "do not leave this room" Gives me a chance to talk to folks, possibly visit the Physicker, get some spare gear from my vault, etc. like a 'don't leave the town with this effect' effect rather than a "here's a hard timeout for dying".

6. suggestion: How about a 5 minute effect after death where the guards will stop the person from leaving town. They might tell them they look pale and should get some rest... And won't let them out through the gate. Less a debuff and more NPCs just going, "No, dude, please, I'll get fired if I let you out looking like that." 5 minutes isn't a long time to wait... it just prevents you from rushing back out and doing the same thing and you know your corpse will still be there waiting for you.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."