Tips and advice for newer players [serious only]

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Lexx416

Re: Tips and advice for newer players [serious only]

Post by Lexx416 »

The GOALS system/set of commands is a great way to plan out your total skill allotment/build, without having to do the math for increasing skill costs!

Additionally, you can use COMBAT to see your current rolls in combat, and COMBAT GOALS to see what those rolls would be if you had reached all of your set skill goals.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Onasaki

Post by Onasaki »

Asking an npc about 'chat' brings up some basic rumors and lore tidbits!
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Onasaki wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:30 pm Asking an npc about 'chat' brings up some basic rumors and lore tidbits!
Most NPCs that respond to this command have multiple statements, so ask more than once! As you read the responses, think about other topics the NPC might be able to tell you about, you can `ask npc about <anything>` but each NPC will only talk about certain topics.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Item-Related Commands
  • You can use "right" and "left" to target whatever you're holding in your right or left hand. For example: "put left in my backpack" will put whatever's in your left hand into your backpack.
  • You can use "other" as a synonym for "second"! If you have a backpack with five items in it, "get other from backpack" will get the second item in the backpack, no matter what it is.
  • It's possible to retrieve items at random from containers! Just use "get random from container".
PC/NPC Interaction Commands
  • It's possible to target yourself when talking; just use "say @me" and the game will output, "Speaking to yourself, you say..."
  • Similarly, it's also possible to target inanimate objects when talking. For example, "say @shrine I wonder who built you?".
  • You can "shout" things instead of saying them, and people in adjacent rooms will hear you. (Probably a good idea not to do this too much, though!)
  • The "name" command doesn't just work on player characters - it also works on NPCs and animals! For example, if someone tells you the name of their horse, you can use the command to remember their horse's name!
Travelling Commands
  • It's possible to queue up travelling on wilderness roads and trails by using multiple directions in the same command. For example: "travel n ne w" would get you from Shadgard to the abandoned canyon village.
Miscellaneous Commands
  • You can use the "time" command to get a rough idea of the in-game time. You can also use the "calendar" command to remind yourself of the in-game names for days of the week and calendar months.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Primary Attributes - If you're ever interested in some of things Primary Attributes do, you can head to the What Links Here portion of the wiki (https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... LinksHere/), input the attribute into the search box, and click go. That will bring up anything on the wiki that links to that attribute - which is a great way for finding out what skills, abilities, and systems an attribute interacts with.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Zombilicious

Post by Zombilicious »

For those interested in roleplay who may be delving into their first roleplay sessions, don't be afraid! Though some people may be intimidating with large freeform emotes and complex says, no one will turn you away for using "canned socials" or basic says either; they exist, after all, for a reason! Everyone moves at their own pace, and you never have to apologize for being new to it -- we all started somewhere, and we're happy to help you learn and grow your abilities as a roleplayer (or even just a writer in general)!

The emote command is your friend; don't fear it, embrace it! Though it's easy to smile with a simple command, it brings a lot more character to your ... well, character ... to perhaps not smile the same way as everyone else. The @ symbol can be used to target other people, items (use @@ if you want to remove the 'a' or 'an' in front of an item!) both on your person and in the room or description, and even yourself! Play around with it, and be willing to make some mistakes in the learning process!

When using say, you can attach a tone and mannerism to replace the say verb. Supposedly you can do it at any point in the command, too! At the end. In the middle. At the beginning -- which is how I personally choose to do it because years of habit putting all syntax before what I want shown has been ground into me. Whichever one is best for you, or whichever one you can remember best! This means that say #merrily $chirp Hi there! and say Hi there! #merrily $chirp and say Hi #merrily there! $chirp should all come out looking the same on the other end, which can be incredibly beneficial if you're only realizing you want something to be said a certain way.

It's also OK not to use those! Sometimes, you're just talking without a ton of emphasis, after all. Using these building blocks, some time, and your own determination, you'll be an expert in no time!

(There are some other fun things you can look into for further characterization: pose and think!)
:verungnr_tentacles: :vodr_trident:
Prism

Post by Prism »

Curious about command functionality, but can't find a help file?

Try typing the command by itself without any other argument to receive greater elaboration on the command's use. For example type "pose" by itself to have the features of the pose command explained in game!
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Help your allies during combat! You can "pull" someone to their feet if they get knocked down. If they get mesmerized, you can attempt to "shake" them out of it.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Combat is tiring! Keep an eye on your energy levels! Remember, attacking eats energy, even if you proc an extra attack from something like 'Side by Side,' 'Followup Punch,' et cetera. You also lose energy from avoiding attacks via 'Combat Avoid,' and you take energy damage equal to the physical damage taken from an attack. You die at -100 energy, and fall unconscious at 0, so pay attention!

When taking damage, if damage stacks up on a certain body part over and over, you might start openly bleeding. his results in further energy loss every few seconds, from 1 to 10, per bleeding wound. anyone can stem the bleeding, regardless of medical skill, via the 'bandage' command, but note that at a certain threshhold, you won't be able to treat the openly bleeding wound without a deticated Physicker with propper training to sew it shut.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Teri

Post by Teri »

You can get fatwood from pine trees which burns longer than normal branches with: Forage fatwood, with a handaxe/hatchet/throwing shard with woodworking/woodcutting/bushcraft of 25.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time