Multiple Characters and the Market

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Acarin

Multiple Characters and the Market

Post by Acarin »

A week or two ago, I asked Rias about the policy around buying things from the market that were sold by another of your characters. There is a very clear policy that transferring items or riln between characters is not allowed. I could see that being a problem if consignment is required to sell something and you can set unrealistic prices to transfer wealth, etc. What about for items where there is a market price though?

Just wanted to post this for discussion and see what everyone's thoughts are as this is a gray area right now.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
nobody

Re: Multiple Characters and the Market

Post by nobody »

My rule of thumb has been if I'm stocking the market (selling like 10+ generally) then buying one with an alt is fine, but that it's still against the spirit of the thing to sell just one to the market and then go buy that with an alt. In general, if I'm ok with everyone having it, great, if I don't want the market to be flooded with them, I'm also not going to allow one of my alts to be the exception there.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I feel like given the size of the population I wouldn't want to limit what you can or can't buy from the market. Obviously using consignment to exploit and alter prices to benefit your alts is wrong. But market-price is what it is and if there are no alternative items available, I don't personally see a problem with it. Maybe don't go out of your way to specifically make things only for your alts and then sell them to the market (as Nobody said), but considering the characters will never know each other or interact, I feel like it's similar to just buying from a stranger. Your alt that made the item is going to be making and selling those items regardless because it goes into a town stock, so it's not really benefiting them - they make the riln either way. And the buyer just needs to get on with life. I also think that it would be really hard to tell if you were even buying your own stuff anyway unless it's craftmark branded or is the only item available, so it's likely unavoidable to begin with.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

nobody wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:40 pmMy rule of thumb has been if I'm stocking the market (selling like 10+ generally) then buying one with an alt is fine, but that it's still against the spirit of the thing to sell just one to the market and then go buy that with an alt.
I think that's a great rule of thumb for the time being. I'd still like to get more thoughts on the general situation though.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

And just to clarify, the bigger concern in this case is people making alts just to stock the market for their other alts, when that crafting/stocking role could be filled by a dedicated character instead of just someone's alt. Fair point to Irylia on the current population size though. And if the population gets bigger and people are filling the crafting roles because they actually want to rather than just to supply alts, the other people won't feel the need to make alts to do so anymore anyway, so it fixes itself I suppose.

P.S. I don't think anyone on COGG has made a character for the sole purpose of providing for their alt. It's just one of those worries you have as a developer.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

If you invest the amount of time that it takes to make a good crafting character, my guess would be that it would not be for the sole purpose of stocking an alt...

This game is time consuming. On the other hand, it feels weird to me that there is that artificial account barrier between 2 different characters.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Xandrea

Post by Xandrea »

Personally I very rarely consign anything to the market. I base sell them. There's not much between my characters I can really 'market trade' if you will but, my personal rule has been to never buy my own consigned items. Though I don't make certain things to sell on the market to explicitly buy with another character, I have general items that one character's made that later I've bought with another of mine.

I don't think that it shouldn't be allowed to happen. (Because I don't see any extreme cases that could be applicable at this time)

My second rule is that if I DO make something explicitly for one of my characters to buy, I let it sit on the market for a day or two so other people have a chance to snag it. Like Tailored goods. Which is really the only thing that one of my characters can make that the others can't. In my mind I'm being fair by waiting a period of time but, opinions is opinions.
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?