In-game chat to be disabled

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
nobody

Re: In-game chat to be disabled

Post by nobody »

That is a valid point. It also would do nothing for keeping the channel on-topic, and it would take even more work to have the volume info show up on all the third-party apps. So, yeah, maybe not the best.
Lexx416

Re: In-game chat to be disabled

Post by Lexx416 »

Acarin wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:33 am I'm not sure that annoying people further is a solution to reduce the level of annoyance that the channel causes. It's an interesting idea but having a bunch of warnings that players see may not be the right solution. You could have chat just shut off for five minutes in warning if people are using it too much... so basically have that on the backend but not visible to players.
Something like this seems pretty reasonable. I've played games where individual PCs are limited in how many messages they can send in a time frame, before sending messages becomes disabled. It worked something like, everyone had a tracker of 5 messages, and every time you sent a message, it ticked down the tracker. If you went over your message allotment, chat became disabled for 3 or 5 minutes. But if you didn't go over your allotment, your messages slowly recovered at a rate that was faster than the punitive "chat disable" function, so it encouraged people to be more thoughtful with the amount they were posting.

I think here the unfortunate side effect is folks could always just still go to Discord to bypass that restriction on Cogg, but it's something I actually really liked about that game's OOC stuff.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."