Wealth management

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
nobody

Wealth management

Post by nobody »

From my re-reading of the discord, the main points on the wealth issue are as follows:
  • Money is an ever-increasing resource (it's easy (enough) to get, and hard to spend)
  • One-time purchases can take a large amount of riln out at once, but cannot balance long-term wealth supply
  • Repeatedly purchased consumables are planned (no specifics yet)
  • If PCs can craft these consumables, riln isn't being taken back out of player circulation, just shifted around
  • Equipment repairs and restorations (when implemented) will add potential recurring costs
  • Guild dues (when implemented) will add a recurring cost
I've been stewing but haven't come across any solutions that I love because anything that raises costs will likely hit new players (and new characters) the hardest, and similarly with anything that lowers returns on selling things. I do have some ideas though:
  • Vanity: players are often willing to pay for premium services that appeal to looking better. Maybe add hair growth, shaving kits, and a barber shop/salon (great place to overhear rumors too!). Hair growth is an annoying mechanic, but it would be a not-unreasonable thing to have. Characters on a budget will ignore it, or buy a shave kit/scissors (and gain access to it's limited style options), while characters with the riln to throw away will go to the barber shop for more interesting style options.
  • Society dues: Because societies are much more optional than guilds, societies can have much higher monthly dues.
  • Special training: I'm not suggesting increases to skill points beyond those available for leveling, but offering raised caps for very high prices doesn't seem game breaking to me. If you really want to be the best angler in the land but sadly your warrior training doesn't include slaying fish, well maybe another guild would train you, for the right price. Societies that offer training could also have significantly higher training costs (sometimes with appropriately higher-cap skill training available). There are probably exceptions (locksmithing, druidry, and sorcery come to mind), and maybe even exceptions to those exceptions for the right society.
  • Curse preventatives: Don't want to get resen infested, maybe drink one of these every time you go out to kill infested. Do they work? Yes, they do. Is not taking them a death sentence? Of course not - most of the time you'll probably be fine. And in the off chance you're not, a visit to the physicker will help you out, but it'll probably be significantly more costly.
Those are all I've got for now, I will continue to stew.
nobody

Re: Wealth management

Post by nobody »

With the addition of horses, there might be grooming tools to care for them, but also stables could offer a premium grooming service that boosts the mount's morale (helping their grit and combat rolls), and maybe allows alternative styles (cropped mains, braided tails, painted on war-symbols, etc.) that last until the horse is cleaned (or cleaned a few times, I dunno what'd be best).
Dennis

Re: Wealth management

Post by Dennis »

Some horrible 7 am ideas for wealth management systems
  • Player hair grows indefinitely and the only solution is to get a haircut at the barber once-a-week. Hair that hits certain length milestones become too long to manage and can result in tripping on your own hair, morale loss, and increases cleaning time significantly. (On the bright side, the super long human hair can be woven into things...?) with an age multiplier. Pay for your youth! The older folk smile and laugh at your uncontrollable hair.
  • Gambling house where the odds of winning are actually 0, it's just a money sink. (but make a big event around it where someone wins something cool! And put up a 'award' that anyone can see, but never win! Mwahaha!)
  • Inn room offerings! Everyone gets the regular inn room, why not rent our Executive Suite only 10x more expensive per nights stay. Maybe a small morale bonus for sleeping in it.
  • Cosmetic clothing damage over wear resulting in pickier players needing to invest more money into their appearances.
  • New hunting area only accessible if you go through a tollbooth, once going in, once going out.
  • Taxes on market goods that are billed monthly rather than taken out of each transaction so players are slapped with a bill for all the money they made. Failure to pay their bill means they can't sell to that market anymore. Operations licenses, here we go!
Other one time purchases that people might be interested in throwing their money into the riln sink for
A carriage you need 4 workhorses to pull. Can be sat on (drivers seat) and has permanent speed boost in wilderness travel. Has weight reduction on items so it can carry more and be less impacted. Has multiple seats (up to 3) so 2 passengers can sit on the carriage as well. (displays as sitting in carriage)
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."