Let's get things rolling

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Let's get things rolling

Post by Rias »

I know there are still a lot of rough edges on this game, but I really want to get things rolling in the game event-wise. I keep telling myself to hold off because of said rough edges and I always want the game to be a little more complete first, but I just can't do that anymore.

I've been writing down a bunch of event preparation notes lately. I want people to start feeling invested in the game and in the world. Feeling involved and like they're making an impact. To that end, I have some requests for the players:

1. Start thinking up that backstory. I'd love to know what kinds of characters are out there and get some insight regarding their motives and goals and stuff like that. I'll have a form up soon(tm) that can be used to submit backstories. Maybe an in-game method, too.
2. I know that previous request relies on having enough information to think up said backstory, so if there is world/race/culture lore that's missing from the wiki that you need to know for your backstory (or just for your curiosity!), let me know here what it is so I can add it for you and anyone else who might benefit from it. I know I need to particularly get the race and homeland articles filled out for every option.
3. Let me know of any other missing game pieces that you think need to be prioritized and implemented in order to make the game feel fun, fulfilling, and like it's worth getting invested into, instead of just playing in a sort of "really just here for testing" mode that we've been in so far
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Re: Let's get things rolling

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm1. Start thinking up that backstory. I'd love to know what kinds of characters are out there and get some insight regarding their motives and goals and stuff like that. I'll have a form up soon(tm) that can be used to submit backstories. Maybe an in-game method, too.
I would love to have an in-game method for saving/tracking background, IC goals, and notes.
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

This is great to hear!

In terms of backstories, I know I've been curious to hear more about Khaldeans and Khaldea in general, especially their relations with other nations. The page on the Viali was great, which I'll definitely be referencing when creating that particular backstory.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

I think one thing that would really help, is the finishing up of descriptions for some areas. Or potentially just locking them off for now until you're ready to do so.

But guess I need to sit my butt down and think of a proper backstory as my character concept has changed a fair bit.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
nobody

Post by nobody »

I've started working on background details in my head, but wanted to ask some questions about the scope of backstory you're looking for. My roleplaying background comes from tabletop, and some years ago I stumbled across a background tool I use when I'm trying to make properly detailed and lively characters. I've most recently found it detailed here, but I'm including the highlights below:
Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
With that in mind, my scope questions are:
  • Are you interested in character (IC) goals and player (OOC) goals?
  • Should we include or exclude named/specific NPCs?
  • If include, should we stick to those you already have around town?
  • How much liberty should we take in including/creating new external entites (NPCs, organizations, places, etc)?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I do think I should mention at this point that while I'm very interested in hearing character backstories, I can make no guarantees that they will be brought into play. It's great information to have ready should an opportunity arise to play off it, and it's excellent for getting insight into the character and their motivations and whatnot. One downside to MUDs though is that they don't have quite the level of connectedness as, say, tabletop games with a controlled group of players who tend to know each other on a far more personal level and have a greater level of connection to everyone in their group outside the game itself.

So I guess what I'm doing is making a disclaimer that having a character backstory etc. does not necessarily mean it will be actively brought into the game and its events. It certainly might! Don't write it up with expectations of arcs being tied in and fulfilled, though. I'm looking more for insight into peoples' characters, rather than plot hooks to use for game events (though having the option for the latter is always nice).
nobody wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm Are you interested in character (IC) goals and player (OOC) goals?
Yes, I'd love to hear both.
Should we include or exclude named/specific NPCs?
Please exclude any established and named NPCs. Just as I won't assume the backstories, personalities, and past actions of players' characters, players should not assume the backstories, personalities, and past actions of mine.
How much liberty should we take in including/creating new external entites (NPCs, organizations, places, etc)?
I'd say definitely don't make up anything to specifically fly in the face of established lore and norms (the evil monk/templar (and self-righteous evil is still evil) is a popular one that is a pet peeve of mine, for instance). With self-invented organization and NPCs and such, players shouldn't assume they have ties to major established groups or NPCs. If there was an exceptional band of warriors or mercenaries or something in a PC's past that isn't in the lore documentation, that's fine. The player just shouldn't claim said group had official ties to the Viali throne, or that they were responsible for a major historic event, or something like that. In general, players should avoid assuming the existence any major towns or historic events or prominent historic figures of their own invention. I realize this can be frustrating with the lack of details currently available. I'm happy to work with people, but to start it's okay to have general ideas that are lacking specific details, and I can work with players to fill in those missing details when time and opportunity allow.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

Roughly how old are Shadgard and Porto D'esilio? The wiki currently states "It has been nearly 100 years since the Plague struck" - does Shadgard pre-date the Plague? Does Porto D'esilio? My primary motivation in asking is to determine whether the oldest playable age (80) could have been raised in either of the major settlements or if one would have to be younger, and roughly where that cut-off would be?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Shadgard was around a good while before the Plague hit. I'm working out the details of Porto D'esilio's history now, but I can definitely say that it does not predate the Plague, at least as a proper town. An 80-year-old could probably have been born there in its early days though, I suppose. But don't run with that quite yet - as I said, still working out the details.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO