Account credits brainstorm

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Account credits brainstorm

Post by Rias »

At various points I've thought it would be nice to be able to award some type of credits to player accounts for various things, like exceptionally detailed and useful bug reports, honest bug reports about systems that were giving too much reward for an action, rewards for being "caught" roleplaying by a GM, etc.

I just awarded some of these credits to a player today, and I'm trying to think of what kinds of things they might be redeemed for. I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone has. In addition to various possible cosmetic options, I'm pondering over the idea of some options that wouldn't need any approval process and are instead a pre-set minor temporary mechanical benefit, like a slightly increased experience bucket drain, a slightly increased bucket capacity, slightly faster bad morale recovery, slightly slower good morale expiration ... stuff like that. I don't want them to be a massive impact, hence all the "slightly". Any thoughts on that?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Re: Account credits brainstorm

Post by nobody »

A customization style thing that wouldn't require any kind of approval is being able to receive a dye that isn't find-able as treasure. I don't know if you reserved any colors for event stuff, but that'd be easy-peasy. The only other mechanical things that I thought of are a minor boost in skill practice, or an instant unshelving (which is admittedly meta-mechanical, but still it is mechanical and it is minor).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Ooh, great ideas. Definitely adding them to the list.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Post by Navi »

Perhaps allow them to trade them for slight additional bonuses similar to those granted by the physicker abilities. Maybe even additional riln from bodies, increased chance to find lockboxes, better selling and buying prices at market, reduced craft time. The bucket drain bonus seems a little knee jerky to me though.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
nobody

Post by nobody »

Navi wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:48 am The bucket drain bonus seems a little knee jerky to me though.
I don't know that I'd call it knee jerky, but it does edge a bit close to the kind of rewards you find on pay-to-win muds.

I did think of another rather niche customization type reward. A hunk of rare wood that already exists in game but that cannot be found in the wilds/would have to be imported (rosewood, olivewood, etc.). It should be a hunk of wood large enough to make any hand held item (hilts, hafts, stocks, handles, etc.) but probably not big enough to make a piece of furniture (handcart, shed, table, chest, etc.).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

nobody wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:06 am I don't know that I'd call it knee jerky, but it does edge a bit close to the kind of rewards you find on pay-to-win muds.
To clarify, this isn't a paid/microtransaction system. These are credits (maybe I should call them "points" to lessen the chance of people assuming it's related to actual money?) one earns for being observed by staff while engaged in earnest roleplaying, or by submitting useful and detailed bug reports. Roleplay awards that grant experience bonuses are already a thing, and were a thing in The Other Game(tm), and I've never had a complaint. This would be extending that kind of reward to additional means of players making the game a better place, such as submitting said useful bug reports.

I'll also say I don't think I want these rewards to really go beyond cosmetic things and temporary minor meta benefits. That is to say: I don't want this to be a means of producing items (the idea of dyes being a possible exception, as dyes are purely cosmetic).
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO