Acrobatics?

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
ocayucos

Acrobatics?

Post by ocayucos »

Is there anywhere to train Acrobatics skill?
Agelity

Re: Acrobatics?

Post by Agelity »

At the moment I think only a few trainers can grant skill up to 25 if you're able to learn it (bards, duelists, etc.), but there isn't currently a way to practice or utilize it much beyond that (maybe a small bump for graceful dodge if you have very little or no dodge skill).

Might not be a bad idea for us to come up with a few ideas on how it can work as a performance skill (earning riln like a bard) and as a combat or adventuring skill (maybe small bonuses to climbing certain things when unencumbered, minor dodge/parry chance increase for certain specializations, etc.). I'll see if I can mull some ideas over while I finish working today!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Any suggestions? Might be as simple as increasing when you do these jumps and dives, when you perform a tumble (for those who have the ability), and a few other actions. What other fun acrobatic stuff can we throw in there as part of the skill? Even if they're just for show and RP, like the Artifice sleight of hand tricks and whatnot.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

Some kind of performance option akin to storytell would be nice. The only ideas I've got beyond that and the falls is second story larceny work. Climb up, unlock the window, climb in. Acrobatics/climb or fall?

Edit to add: it be a lot to add, but being able to tumble (or climb) to the roof tops and jump between houses would also be adequately dangerous acrobatics.
Last edited by nobody on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

Let's see. We already have tumble and flip as abilities. Cartwheel, somersault, handstand?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

ocayucos wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 pm Let's see. We already have tumble and flip as abilities.
Hrrrrm. What if Tumble and Flip could be performed as the RP/show-only version by anyone with enough Acrobatics skill, while the abilities would apply them specifically to combat? Would anyone be bothered by opening up of the RP side of those to a wider group?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

I wouldn't be offended either way, but would tumble and flip abilities also grant the RP verbs or would they become reserved for people with acrobatic skill?
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

It wouldn't bother me either, I say do it.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I think the abilities would still grant access to the RP usage, even for people who don't have the skill. And maybe we'll add more impressive results for people who have invested in the Acrobatics skill.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

I'd love if most performance skills (or all) had something similar to storytelling where you can perform out in public areas (or in private). For performance related things, I think having a variety of options available to everyone could be nice (like the somersault, handstand, cartwheel, etc.), but only those trained in acrobatics can reliably complete them.

For performing I imagine you could start off with simple tumbling/somersaulting, eventually opening up to cartwheels, flips, and so forth. If performing within a group, have them play off one another (similar to how the Flip ability currently functions in combat). Maybe later on start to allow some more parkour related things (jumps and flips and what not off of buildings, benches, cave walls, a shield someone's holding, whatever someone might be able to plant their foot on and leap off in some cool matter).

This of course leads to all sorts of possibilities for failed tricks to result in hilarity (and pain), with successful ones providing extra riln or, depending on the environment, may some other added benefit beyond looking cool as heck (which is expected if you don't spread eagle into a lower body injury).

Leading off of the most recent posts, having tumble/flip opened up to the general public I think is a great idea, though I think I'd still prefer there being a more combat appropriate version that certain warriors/adventurers can take (combat acrobatics & advanced combat acrobatics....... or something actually creatively named). Acrobatics for style and fun, acrobatics for combat and survival.

I was also thinking whether or not acrobatics could also play a small role into climbing. Unsure whether this should be an ability like Graceful Dodge (some percentage of acrobatics contributes toward climbing) or a small passive bonus that maybe weighs rolls upward if you're particularly deft.

I like the larceny idea, particularly for rogues and other extra sneaky types that would prefer to not take the front door. Rooftop leaping sounds awesome, and great potential to have all sorts of effects based on success/failure (fall and get super injured, fall and maybe gracefully recover, barely make it but need to climb up because you're dangling against the edge of a roof, successfully make it and shimmy to remind the world that you're awesome, whatever else).