Minimum per-skill investment

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Minimum per-skill investment

Post by Rias »

I've introduced a minimum per-skill investment, when it comes to calculating the grand total skill for a maxed character (assuming level 100). This minimum investment per skill is 100. What this means is that if you, for instance, have 5 points in the Acrobatics skill, that is still going to count as 100 toward your overall total potential skill point cap. To clarify: It will not count as 100 points toward your current level's allotment of skill points and prevent you from learning anything else that level. Only the overall skill point total assuming level cap (which is 10,000 points). So essentially, for any skill that you want your character to have, there's no reason to set that skill's goal below 100. To do so would be essentially throwing points away. At level 100, any skill you have should be at least 100, or you're wasting points.

I'm not sure I explained that well, so if anyone has any questions, ask away.

The intent here is to prevent people from investing a single point (or very few) into a skill just to unlock that skill's ability with a negligible investment cost. For instance, someone putting 1 point into every single crafting skill available to unlock all these different types of crafts for a tiny investment cost. I'd like to bring up the fact that originally in this new game system I came up with, each skill could be from 0 to 7. Having such low numbers seemed somehow unsatisfying, so I eventually just multiplied it by 100 to give us what we have today, with skill levels going from 0 to 700 instead. An unintended side effect was that characters could now invest a hundredth of the intended initial cost to unlock new skills. I've been pondering how to fix that for quite a long time, and this is what I've come up with.

I understand that some people might not agree with this implementation, and I encourage them to respond to this thread with their thoughts and suggestions for alternatives, keeping the above-stated original intent in mind.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Re: Minimum per-skill investment

Post by Lexx416 »

I like the idea of this, so far at least. As someone that has invested a bunch into Bushcraft, it kind of sucks that anyone (prior) could drop a single point and still earn the same riln as me.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."