On alt-hopping and login/logout messages.

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

On alt-hopping and login/logout messages.

Post by Rias »

I was thinking about the whole alt-hopping thing recently, and considering our alt limitation of 2 active characters total, I don't think there's really any issue with people switching as events demand - as long as it isn't rapid-fire or immersion-breaking.

For instance: If you're on your crafter character, and an invasion of hostiles occurs, you should feel free to swap to your combat character and participate with that alt. You should wrap up what you're doing with your current character first, though - if you're in the middle of a situation with other PCs, it'd be pretty tacky to just suddenly disappear on them to swap characters.

To this end, I've made a change to the login/logout messages. Instead of character-based, it's account-based. So someone logging into or out of their account is announced on the #who channel, but logging into/out of characters on that account is not. Hopefully this will lessen the negative pressure people might feel when an event starts up and they want to swap to their other character who's more suited to get involved. And ultimately, I think it's just a better situation privacy-wise in general.

What NOT to do: Join a hunting party with your combat character, then swap to your locksmith after to pick all the party's boxes, then swap back to your combat character to partake of the spoils. You shouldn't have your own characters helping each other, anyway. I'm still a little leery on the whole alt-hopping thing, but we'll see how it goes. One thing that I might do is put in an alt timer. If you switch from character A to character B, you can't log in with character A for a certain amount of time. But that's not a thing at the moment, just something I'm mulling over.

P.S. Yes, this is what caused the game to temporarily break. It's been fixed!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO