July 16th Voice Chat Notes

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

July 16th Voice Chat Notes

Post by Teri »

Post away.
Last edited by Teri on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Gorth

Re: Voicechat: Saturday July 16th 2pm MST (Post questions here)

Post by Gorth »

Where is the entrance to the Adventurer's Lounge (as in, which side of the Hanged Man entry is it)? Where is the door in the Hanged Man? I imagined the door being westfacing, probably near to the south side, so it lined up with the canyon wall. The corpse is next to it though. Which side of the door is the corpse on?

Do the benches in the Shadgard Commons have backs? Does the one in Stormholdt? Do the player built ones?

The fact that you can't survey while swimming makes me want to ask if there are any watery places with trees or other things that would show up in survey, jsut to taunt us.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Lore as written suggests that the world has exactly one moon; does that moon parallel the real world lunar cycle or does it have a different lunar cycle?
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Are there records of the first ever ESP transmission in-game that didn't occur for testing purposes? What did it pertain to?
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

We'll be doing this week's meeting in-game in the Mentor Lounge rather than on Voice/Discord. There'll be an announcement when the Lounge is opened up. Hope to see many of you there!

Duking it out in the OOC arena afterward will be available for those interested, just like last time.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Post by Teri »

Woot~ And keep on posting questions if you can't make the meeting, I will ask any written out here like usual.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Rias says, "Welcome everyone to our OOC meeting. Per the announcement, now is the time to bring up any COGG-related questions, feedback, and so on and so forth. We've got it limited to one person having the "floor" at a time to speak. To curb the chaos."

Rias says, "You can RAISE HAND to indicate you want a turn at the floor."

Teri says, "My first question is a very important one, written by mini rias. "Dear Rias Wearable bucket hat when? Love, the firstborn"."

Rias sighs.

Rias says, "Kids these days."

Rias says, "Maybe I'll show some nepotism and give them a special bucket helmet."

Gorth slowly asks, "The Hanged Man door is facing which direction?"

Rias asks, "From which perspective?"

Gorth says, "Leaving."

Rias says, "If you're inside the lobby, the entry door is to the northwest."

Gorth asks, "Sick. What about the Adventurer's Lounge?"

Rias says, "Northeast."

Gorth asks, "Oookaaay, last one. Which side of the door, when leaving, is the corpse on?"

Rias says, "To the right as you're walking out, probably."

Merin asks, "So I am curious to know when the gravest unjust of the game will be resolved. One that plagues many of us. One that we chose to overlook out of the goodness of our hearts. When will the emptiness of the Hanged Man's menu be resolved once and for all?"

Rias says, "I can't say for certain, but some of the venues in Mistral have some tasty food waiting to be sampled."

Rias says, "But I should get to the Hanged Man food soon(tm), agreed."

Rias says, "(And drinks)."

Rias says, "P.S. The HANDS command now shows a list of who has their hands raised in order from earliest to latest."

Khan asks, "In regards to policy, if a character is continually antagonistic through words rather than physical actions, is it acceptable to retaliate with a physical response? Are there any lines in this situation, at what point is it "griefing"?"

Rias says, "If someone is frequently poking and prodding at someone else verbally, I think it's acceptable to see that potentially come to physical blows. It's not something I think we can really have a perfect "rule" on with an exact statement of when it is and isn't acceptable. But as I often say: Don't act surprised when you poke a bear and it mauls you for it."

Rias says, "On the flip side: If someone is using this kind of thinking as an excuse, like "I didn't like the tone they said hello to me in so I stabbed them" then of course that's going to be an issue that we'll look into."

Rias says, "We trust players to be reasonable, and in cases where things get murky we as staff can always step in."

Rias says, "If anyone feels they're being aggressively targeted through some situation like this, please do let staff know."

Khan says, "How do you feel about throwing conflict RP onto people who haven't logged on for ages, but as soon as they're around they're the "excuse" for it? Like, well, XYZ is about, and it doesn't matter if they've done anything to me personally lately, it's my RP so it's their fault."

Rias asks, "If someone hasn't logged in for a long time, it's probably best to let any longstanding situations kind of get rehashed a bit before just leaping into physical violence, I think?"

Khan asks, "So, if someone is being a gobby crape as soon as you log on, just leave them alone?"

Rias says, "See if the conflict and the RP is still there to be picked back up, and if it seems so, continue on. But probably not best to have someone jumped the moment they come back when they might not even recall all the details of what was going on. Do approach them and the situation, but just kind of feel it out first."

Rias says, "If someone pops back in after a long time and jumps right back into it, then it seems reasonable to respond in kind."

Khan says, "I'm referring to just coming back in, and someone immediately starting on them without previous engagement since being about."

Rias asks, "Like Bob logging in, and Sue immediately getting on his case verbally somehow? Like on ESP or something?"

Khan says, "Sure, yep. No prior engagement, or anything beyond the whole acknowledgement that said person is online and around with the pulse thing."

Rias says, "I think if it's part of ongoing RP conflict that'd be all right? But also keep in mind that we're all here to play a game and maybe don't just dig into it literally every single time the person logs in, unless they've made it apparent they're interested in participating in that line of RP as well. I feel like nobody would want to be harassed immediately every time they log in, so I would recommend showing some restraint and giving them time to enjoy non-conclift play until they give some sort of pompt or opening or segue into it."

Traitress says, "Hello! Is there any timeline on uh."

Traitress asks, "Putting information on the races and regions up somewhere?"

Rias says, "She said the 'T' word."

Rias removes an unrealistically massive uberite banhammer from his miniature spiral galaxy (open).

Traitress says, "A lot of players seem to be walking around with the benefit of information from the old game. I managed to find enough to figure out what my character's homeland is supposed to be like sooooort of but uhh."

Rias says, "There isn't one, but there probably should be. It's an important part of the "onboarding" process so to speak."

Traitress says, "I don't know anything about what the religion there is like or anything."

Traitress says, "And my friend didnt even know what to pick because half the stuff she looked at was just blank."

Rias says, "Yeah, it's not great. I need to find someone to hold me accountable to putting up at least blurbs for all the races and homelands."

Traitress asks, "I will be sad if you don't do it, does that work?"

Rias slowly empties his lungs.

Traitress pouts.

Rias says, "Fine! I'll do it."

Rias says, "Oooh. Assuming you're interested in the race/homeland of the character you're currently on, that's the one that I'm constantly saying I need to post and then never do, because it's mostly done. Mostly done-enough, I should say."

Traitress says, "Also, we need craftable 100+ skill food. Baba booey."

Rias exclaims, "The T word, AND alluded to cooking!"

Marcuson says, "I've got two technical questions. There is a world cap on the number of quivering bowstrings. I've noticed that there are four crossbows on the market with quivering bowstrings attached. Do those count toward the cap? That might be a problem because those bowstrings do not despawn, as far as I know. On the other hand, it'd be a problem to have people storing the bowstrings at the market."

Rias says, "Yes, there's an overall cap of those bowstrings that can exist at once in the game. And huh, the market thing might be an issue. I'll look into that."

Marcuson beams. "Thanks! And here's the second question I had. You mentioned a few weeks ago that when people say to run metal through the furnace again in order to purify it, that they should not be able to do that. The only reason they can is due to a bug. What is the intention function?"

Marcuson says, "Intended function, rather."

Rias says, "Metal should be purified by hammering, and metal that's "too far gone" to hammer impurities from should be considered ruined and tossed."

Rias says, "Don't forgot to toss that flux in during the ore smelting."

Marcuson asks, "I see. So the intention is that charcoal should only be used during the initial ore smelting?"

Rias says, "Yep."

Leopard asks, "Okay so, physicker abilities! If a physicker has trained all the way up to 700 mostly to gain the max time of reflection that one can provide as possible, is any other sort of ability going to ever be put in place for those who did manage to fully train the skill to 700?"

Rias exclaims, "Yeah, it's safe to say at this point that all the classes still need a lot more abilities. Physickers have more concoctions lined up for future abilities, and of course suggestions are always welcome!"

Teri says, "Asking a question from bbs. 'Are there records of the first ever ESP transmission in-game that didn't occur for testing purposes? What did it pertain to?'."

Rias says, "Uh, it might be floating around somewhere."

Teri says, "I bet it was something dumb, like "is this dubious thing working?"."

Rias says, "Earliest ESP message I see: 'hello? h,hello? this thing work? hmm need to remember to pay my rent, uh, hello?'."

Rias says, "And then it's someone asking how to open lockboxes."

Rias says, "(The HANDS command now also shows who currently has the floor.)."

Lexx asks, "Druid stuff! Vitality says it will decrease "the duration of sicknesses" - does this impact the lethargic affect from the lockbox trap? Or does it affect anything currently coded in to the game at all?"

Lexx amends, "Anything coded into the game that players encounter, rather."

Rias says, "Vitality doesn't affect the lethargy poison thing, but that's not a bad idea. It'll affect diseases once diseases are a thing, which they sadly currently are not. (More physicker concoctions once they are!)."

Gorth asks, "Do the benches in the Shadgard Commons have backs? Does the one in Stormholdt? Do the player built ones?"

Rias says, "I've always assumed so. Need that back support."

Speaking to Rias, Gorth says, "The fact that you can't survey while swimming makes me want to ask if there are any watery places with trees or other things that would show up in survey, just to taunt us. Rias taunts us, Fellborn kills us, and Rilulth is perfect."

Gorth adds, "And Shewel is..ahm..uh..yes."

Rias says, "No underwater trees as of yet."

Firesong makes puppy dog eyes at Rias. "Music? Instruments? when?"

Rias exclaims, "When they happen!"

Eugor says, "Out of all the prime immortals who have wiki pages, it seems like Iarel's is written as if they were actually seen by people. Were there specific occasions when she has appeared to the masses in Ivial? Not asking for specifics unless you have something ready."

Rias says, "You can blame all the aspiring Dominionites. I'm trying to finish up Mistral Lake before diving into anything else that isn't a quick job."

Eugor says, "I am in no rush. I am eager for music and instruments."

Eugor says, "I would love them to be as well-thought out as everything else has been."

Rias says, "Iarel has a very close relationship with the Constantians where there are records of her appearing among the people via an avatar, and some rare especially-worthy Constantia individuals are said to have actually been in her true presence. The Viali generally consider themselves "after that time" when Iarel had become more distant, though you're of course always going to hear those claims of some people saying they were visited by her."

Eugor asks, "An avatar, is that where the imagery comes from?"

Eugor says, "I imagine that to be the case anyway."

Rias says, "Most likely. The true presence of a Prime Immortal is generally considered to be too much for mortals to survive experiencing."

Eugor exclaims, "You imply there are false immortals!"

Rias says, "Some Immortals are tricky, some mortals are tricky."

Chariot asks, "Thank you. Two quick questions here before I fall asleep on my keyboard...first, if Fasa tattooes are in the plan, which I heard at one point they are, how are they going to be like?"

Rias says, "Yep, we'll have the tradtional Fasa tattoos. I'll look through the material I have to try and find their original incarnations and work from that. It's definitealy an important part of their culture that shouldn't be overlooked. Probably an option for all Fasa characters to choose one from the "standard" clan list, and additional edits/alterations can be made case-by-case for those who have more in mind."

Chariot asks, "Wooya, good plan for my next rp! Second, and this is on someone else's behalf, is there a possibility of getting moddifiable multiwearable slot containers like back/belt quivers, to apply to something like back/shoulder basket and also wearable farm baskets alike?"

Rias says, "I'll have to think about that. I don't know that I want too much meta-maximizing of large wearable containers and inventory. We already haul around quite a lot of stuff on us."

Teri says, "I am asking Nobody's question from bbs then have a question of my own

Teri says, "Lore as written suggests that the world has exactly one moon."

Teri asks, "Does that moon parallel the real world lunar cycle or does it have a different lunar cycle?"

Rias says, "Same as ours, for convenience's sake."

Teri says, "For my question, I was curious if you had any bbs posts recently you had comments on, or anything you were intrigued by. I am putting you on the spot, but was kinda curious either now or by the next voice chat if any stand out."

Rias exclaims, "We've had some good huntable creature suggestions!"

Rias says, "The death stuff has really tempted me to get off-track, but I'm sticking with Mistral still."

Rias says, "And of course, the crackpot theories are a good read."

Rias says, "But I've honestly been kind of skimming the BBS recently, since I'm trying my best to focus on Mistral and I do get very easily distracted. Even little quick fixes/updates can add up to a big distraction."

Prism loudly shouts, "JUSTICE!"

Prism politely says, "Oh, sorry about that. They talk about my favorite people so much over there in crackpot theories that I was compelled."

Prism clears his throat. "Anywho. I did have a quick question. As I just posted one in the huntable creatures thread-- are you okay with suggestions for creatures that, well. Don't exist? Fun fantasy stuff?"

Rias says, "But nothing that's -too- "out there", as I like to keep my "mid-fantasy" feel and avoid straying too close eto "high fantasy"."

Prism says, "Awesome. Just making sure that was all okay to do. I feel like I had another question.. Buuut. Well. I suppose I'll just say I'm very very excited for spooky foggy places and am eager to see what things look like. Best of luck maintaining focus."

Gorth asks, "So Nether. When you toss it at people, does it move through the air? Is it a whip of nether? Or does it just appear around people's necks?"

Rias says, "When a sorcerer casts their nethery-spells, the nether travels from their hands as the point of origin toward the destination."

Rias says, "So it's a physical projectile. Hence blockable and all that."

Gorth asks, "So does it wobble at all? Or is it a sollid (looking) mass of darkness?"

Rias says, "It writhes and undulates spookily."

Gorth asks, "Does it bounce back from surfaces?"

Gorth asks, "So could you toss it at a barrier really close to your face and have a lil' bit come back and burn your eye out?"

Rias says, "No, it splats."

Rias says, "Unless the sorcerer had a specific spell/ritual that called for it to bounce for some reason. Or the nether was feeling cheeky that day and decided it wanted to bounce instead of splat, because sometimes nether just doesn't behave in the way you'd expect for who knows what reason."

Gorth asks, "When you channel , it's around your whole hand, right? What happens if you clap?"

Rias says, "It moves out of the way. It doesn't want to be squished between your clammy flesh."

Gorth asks, "Last question. Is the movement at all consistent?"

Rias asks, "Which movement?"

Gorth says, "The movement of the nether wobbling."

Rias says, "It doesn't appear to follow a specific predictable pattern."

Gorth asks, "It is random or arbitrary? Is it conscious as best as we can tell? You say it moves out of the way of your flesh. Does it appear to do that cause flesh gross? Or does it do that because pre-programmed function to avoid contact? Also, why does it avoid your hands and not other people's flesh?"

Rias says, "The question of possible sentience in nether is one you might want to an NPC Warlock or Rook at some point. It moves out of the way of the sorcerer's own flesh because presumably the sorcerer has an underlying directive of "by the way, don't eat away my own pitiful mortal flesh and blood" as they channel nether."

Zombilicious says, "This is fun. This code is fresh. I like this forum setting. However, it prevented me from hugging the companion cube. This was stressful."

A dull-gray large weighted storage cube emblazoned with a pink heart appears unphased.

Zombilicious says, "No, you love me, like I love you."

Zombilicious says, "Going back to Prism's earlier inquiry regarding us giving ideas for huntables: does this also count for insects that can be collected? I know I already made a moth, but could I also sent you spiders."

Rias says, "Please send me all the moths and spiders."

Zombilicious asks, "What about centipedes, bees, wasps, butterflies, normal flies, and ticks?"

Zombilicious says, "Look, I play an entomologist, I have to care about all the bugs, even the gross ones."

Rias says, "All bugs are beautiful."

Zombilicious asks, "How common is the term 'druid'? Obviously we have druidry as the name for the power they channel, but would most people equate the term 'druid' with a user of druidry or would it vary between cultures? For instance, would an Andhoytallr also be OK with being called a druid?"

Rias says, "They're probably accept it as a way for people to somewhat understand their connection while also feeling there's some nuance lost in simply being thought of as just another druid."

Zombilicious asks, "Would Faewyr be more comfortable being called druids?"

Rias says, "Yes, it's a very common and accepted Faewyr concept."

Zombilicious says, "Following up, Eugor also wants to know if the term 'shaman' would be accepted by cultures."

Rias says, "I'm not sure. I feel like there are some things to consider and potentially avoid with that particular term, and so I've generally avoided using it."

Zombilicious says, "What about 'witch'? Are witches viewed as more sorcerous, or could they just be anyone mystical, if witches are an accepted term."

Zombilicious says, "The actual word 'witch', not the B word."

Rias says, "I think 'witch' works as a sort of catch-all for someone who does mysterious and usually spooky/creepy occult stuff, and could apply fairly equally to practitioners of sorcery, druidry, or even arcana."

Rias says, "A lot of arcanists will try to sell you on the whole cold logical science of their particular branch of the occult, but at the end of the day it's still scribing mysterious symbols to call forth supernatural powers/effects."

Zombilicious asks, "We were discussing Yru the other day and someone said something about her connotations with being a Death Goddess. I was under the impression she was a goddess associated with sorcery, not actually death; does she have some deeper vibes with death, beyond necromancy, or is she strictly a Sorcery + Potential Necromancy Goddess Of Greatness? Does she get along with Undm?"

Rias says, "More specifically un-death. Association with death would be more as a means of getting to the former. Yru and Undm do not get along. They have very different ideas on the proper fate of souls that put them in direct opposition to one another."

Zombilicious asks, "With Yru's association with undeath, how does she interact with Hesutu, who also is not a fan of undeath?"

Rias says, "They have a strained relationship. Hesutu is generally confident that undeath can be put to an eventual end as well though. An annoying but ultimately feeble attempt to escape the cycle. Undead entities would be on his radar, but he's not out there crusading against them or anything."

Zombilicious asks, "How do Hesutu and Undm interact? Does the fact that Hesutu cares primarily about an end coming, rather than an end coming, give them any relationship or are they fairly ambivalent?"

Rias says, "Yru's definitely getting a lump of coal if Hesutu ends up with her as his gift swap recipient."

Zombilicious says, "We love coal here in Shadgard, so I dunno if that's a bad thing."

Zombilicious says, "It was Eugor's joke, laugh at Eugor's wit. I am not witty. I do, however, have pistachios."

Rias says, "I think Hesutu and Undm are generally pretty okay with each other on a personal level."

Zombilicious says, "Note to self, petition for Hesutundm babies. How does Hesutu feel regarding the Undying, considering the Undying do eventually die but do not immediately die."

Rias says, "The Undying aren't too much of a worry as they still do age and die of it, but they're still an interesting anomaly to keep an eye on and be wary of."

Rias says, "(And of course, may of them do eventually die their last death even before old age gets them, even if we don't have that happen to PCs for It's A Game Reasons(tm))."

Zombilicious asks, "How does Undm feel about the Undying?"

Rias says, "How Undm sees things is going to depend on who you ask. Is this a blessing/mercy from Undm? Is this an annoyance for Undm to have to try and deal with? Is this by Undm's design, is it a flaw in the design, is it the result of some monkey-wrenching? So I guess the answer is that the jury is out on that among Undm followers, and like all Immortals these days, Undm is bad about replying to emails."

Zombilicious says, "Undm needs to get some Gen Z followers who know social media."

Frisbee says, "Have you ever thought about adding trees that provide more resources than wood, like fruit, for example? I've always thought it'd be a fun activity climbing trees and picking apples, or whatever, and it might even be a minor point of conflict, like 'you stole my apples,' etc."

Rias says, "Yeah, fruit trees would be fun."

Rias says, "We do technically have juniper berries from juniper trees, and amberpearls (the latter not having any actual use yet)."

Frisbee asks, "They are pretty. Is that not good enough?"

Rias says, "Note to self, allow amberpearls to be strung on thread."

Frisbee asks, "Anyway. I just wanted to say thanks for the new primalist bonuses. I've been enjoying them extremely. Do you think it would be a sensible suggestion to add a thing to the bed of moss effect where you could expand the foliage for one more person, possibly at the cost of resources like energy or whatever?"

Frisbee says, "Like, I'd love to invite somebody and tell them let's stargaze together, or whatever."

Rias says, "Hmm, that might be kind of nifty, sure."

Teri says, "I had a follow up question about containers being modified, and thoughts on holsters for different locations. Hip, shoulder and so on. I made a bbs post about that and was curious after chariot's question. I had some rambles on hidden holsters too, but future future things. It only being on the belt made me want other locations."

Rias says, "Yeah, having holsters adjustable for different slots would be neat."

Traitress asks, "As a new player I am confused about the legality and social acceptability of magic. Sorcery is obviously illegal and anyone who messes with it is at least a little bit crazy, but so far I don't think I've met anyone who didn't assure me that Arcana and Druidry were actually totally kosher and anyone who thinks otherwise is being quaint. Is this just a case of a few players accidentally creating the illusion of global consensus in Shadgard? How much do the NPCs care, and to what degree do they outnumber the (mostly) Undying adventurers?"

Rias says, "Sorcery is the only thing that's outright illegal-without-question in Shadgard. As in, you channel it, you're now being sought for arrest."

Rias says, "However, the occult in general is met with wariness."

Traitress says, "So Arcana is like being a satanist in the 90s rather than the 1690s."

Rias says, "Drawing occult circles in town is going to potentially raise eyebrows and concerns, because the vast majority of Shadgard citizens, including peacekepeers/law enforcement, have no way of knowing what that circle is going to do."

Rias says, "Not to mention that the occult and supernatural are just weird and spooky and potentially unpredictable."

Rias says, "Druidry is similarly unsettling but not outright illegal. Stuff like walking around with great big claws, or powers that sap vitality from any nearby animals, might start making it onto new law bills though if they're just casually being thrown around within town."

Lexx asks, "What's the general sort of climate of Parr? Any notable exports, or specifically cool geographical features?"

Rias says, "Parr is three main islands, and lots of surrounding smaller ones. I'd say it's subtropicalish. It's not all palm trees and straight up Caribbean. Exports, uh... rain check. You people and exports! I imagine they have some local resources to export but it's really more about being the big international trade hub (and where trade rules are more like trade guidelines...)."

Eugor asks, "How did the people outside the lost lands first find out about the undying? Was there a first?"

Rias says, "They heard about it through the clearly insane rumors and rantings of crazypeople from that lawless backwater ruin country."

Rias says, "I think it's safe to say most of the outside world doesn't actually believe it's a thing."

Rias says, "And those that go in to investigate have this frustrating tendency to not be able to get back out."

Rias says, "And just because there has been some confusion on the topic: The Undying thing seems to be exclusive to the Lost Lands."

Eugor says, "Someone is requesting information on the family structures be added for the Nuum. I think you mentioned something about adding more racial information to the help system. Just a side note unless you wish to answer now. I know you're on a time crunch."

Rias exclaims, "Gotcha. I'll add it to my to-do list!"

Wish says, "Will there be a day when we can climb into the treetops and play tag in the canopies? (I'm a dreamer)."

Rias says, "Maybe in a particular area? The problem that always comes up with a general climbing trees mechanic is that it always leads to people wanting to ranged attack from safety, or at least be able to be untouchable by melee, and stuff like that."

Rias exclaims, "But a forested area of trees with an extraordinary number of conveniently low-growing branches, that could be a thing!"

Rias says, "Allrighty, conch mode disabled and chaos can now ensue. Feel free to hang around here, and I'll open up the hall to the OOC lounge and battleground."

Rias exclaims, "Thank you all for attending!"
Teri

Re: Voicechat: July 16th voice chat logs/notes

Post by Teri »

Thank you!