Game-Scry MUD listing

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Game-Scry MUD listing

Post by Rias »

COGG is currently at the top of the MUD listings on https://mud.game-scry.online ! If anyone feels like heading over there to give COGG more upvotes to help solidify its position there, I think that'd be pretty awesome. Its individual listing is here: https://mud.game-scry.online/game/cogg

I was able to get ownership of the listing, as someone else originally listed it and was kind enough to pass it to me. If anyone feels like writing reviews, that would be appreciated too.

Thank you to everyone who already upvoted COGG to get it in the top spot!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
rocode

Re: Game-Scry MUD listing

Post by rocode »

I think the following tags should be added if there is no limit: role-playing (RPE), in-game map (compass), and screen reader (the MUD is very VI friendly).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

rocode wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 am I think the following tags should be added if there is no limit: role-playing (RPE), in-game map (compass), and screen reader (the MUD is very VI friendly).
Done!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

I've added my upvote, and one more suggestion on the tags: add alpha as development status in addition to its current status of released.
rocode

Post by rocode »

nobody wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:06 pm I've added my upvote
As a note, you can add three upvotes to one game!
jerc

Post by jerc »

Ever so slightly off-topic, but what's going on with the TopMudSites listing? It seems to be stuck in "Awaiting Moderator Approval" for over a year now.

Always happy to throw upvotes at COGG on whatever platforms I can, but TMS is the one I've used the most over the years.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

nobody wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:06 pm one more suggestion on the tags: add alpha as development status in addition to its current status of released.
I'm actually debating this one. While there's a lot still on the development pile, I feel like the game has been done "enough" to be considered released at this point? I don't want it to be considered stuck in perpetual alpha like CLOK was just because there was always something else to do. Any thoughts?
jerc wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:16 pm Ever so slightly off-topic, but what's going on with the TopMudSites listing? It seems to be stuck in "Awaiting Moderator Approval" for over a year now.
I wish I knew! I've gotten to the point where I just assume TMC and TMS are both essentially defunct. Still sort-of-working, but I've seen a lot of people share the same opinion and say that they haven't been able to add new things (or get them approved) for a good while now.

I'm honestly okay with COGG not being frequently posted/shared about, and not prominent on the big MUD collection lists. I'm happy with our population, which seems big enough to feel healthy but small enough to still feel like a more intimate community and not overwhelming. Still though, seeing COGG at the top of *some* list was pretty neat, and it's nice to have it officially listed somewhere. Game-scry being a newer/smaller collection makes me more comfortable with COGG being on it.

None of the above to say I don't want people sharing COGG if they want to, though! I just think it's nice to have more people brought over in a more personal word of mouth kind of way.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:41 pm I'm actually debating this one. While there's a lot still on the development pile, I feel like the game has been done "enough" to be considered released at this point? I don't want it to be considered stuck in perpetual alpha like CLOK was just because there was always something else to do. Any thoughts?
If you can only pick one tag, released is not bad, if you can pick multiple tags it doesn't hurt much to add alpha or beta to communicate that the game is being developed and is still not mechanically finished. The major goal posts I can see having a substantial mechanical impact are:
- Release of Dominion: CvC is a big-ish change, and while CvC is technically already present, I'm guessing this will increase CvC frequency/volume in a sustantial way, which will be great for refining the various warrior (and non-warrior) classes for balance which could represent an additional moderately sized change.
- Finalizing the crafting mechanics/releasing crafting focused guild: If this is still intended to be a thing, it will likely reshape the market, for crafted goods and for labor. And it may be a big-ish change to the population of characters depending on how many opt to abandon their current guild for a one-time-move to the crafter guild.

All that said, the long term development to do list probably has years worth of stuff and different players will likely have different perceptions about how "big" any given change is, so it'd probably be fine to leave it as just released and maybe add a blurb to the wiki main page to indicate the game is being actively developed and will probably be continually tweaked so long as the developer has time and inclination to do so.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

nobody wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:15 pm
Rias wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:41 pm I'm actually debating this one. While there's a lot still on the development pile, I feel like the game has been done "enough" to be considered released at this point? I don't want it to be considered stuck in perpetual alpha like CLOK was just because there was always something else to do. Any thoughts?
If you can only pick one tag, released is not bad, if you can pick multiple tags it doesn't hurt much to add alpha or beta to communicate that the game is being developed and is still not mechanically finished. The major goal posts I can see having a substantial mechanical impact are:
- Release of Dominion: CvC is a big-ish change, and while CvC is technically already present, I'm guessing this will increase CvC frequency/volume in a sustantial way, which will be great for refining the various warrior (and non-warrior) classes for balance which could represent an additional moderately sized change.
- Finalizing the crafting mechanics/releasing crafting focused guild: If this is still intended to be a thing, it will likely reshape the market, for crafted goods and for labor. And it may be a big-ish change to the population of characters depending on how many opt to abandon their current guild for a one-time-move to the crafter guild.

All that said, the long term development to do list probably has years worth of stuff and different players will likely have different perceptions about how "big" any given change is, so it'd probably be fine to leave it as just released and maybe add a blurb to the wiki main page to indicate the game is being actively developed and will probably be continually tweaked so long as the developer has time and inclination to do so.

Largely agree with this overall sentiment, as well as these points. I love seeing people speak to COGG, but it's kind of frustrating and disheartening when new players show up, and start asking questions about the various unfinished systems (especially when advertisements and posts don't mention the overall state of development - I work in customer service and retention, and that's something I would consider a bit misleading if the company I work for did it).

I think crafting/quality mechanics (as well as the artisan guild) should probably be finalized (or at least much closer to finalized), and the Artisan Guild should either be released or make it more obvious (maybe give it it's own helpfile/wiki page) that it's a work in progress with a TBA ETA. Mistral Lake/Garrison/Open-CVC areas is also a big concern of mine - I feel like those will change the overall IC Social Dynamic of the game in a large enough way that it could frustrate people new to the game.

Some other areas of concern for me personally include Arcanists and Primalists still be fairly underdeveloped, and the skills that currently aren't active/usable. Primalists and Arcanists feel like they're lacking as many unique options and content as most of the other classes, and I feel like either appending a minor warning to each class page (ie: "Warning: This class is underdeveloped - but we're working on that") would help with that, if there's not a fairly quick timeline to more unique abilities and activities for them in the near future.

The skills are a bit trickier - it might take a while before Trade or Dancing is implemented. So I'm not really sure on what could be done to make those feel better - except maybe to create wiki pages/helpfiles for them explaining that they're waiting to be developed. It feels kind of bad though when a newbie rolls in and they ask how they can use the dancing skill, or play music, or learn a new language, etc.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Those are good points. I should probably also have at least blurb-pages for all the races/homelands before the game is considered "released released". I've added the Alpha tag for now.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO