Voicechat: 4th June 2022 2pm MST

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
tulpa

Voicechat: 4th June 2022 2pm MST

Post by tulpa »

Q: Maina: What determines the roll and CR of nether wells doing their thing? The CR changes each time (despite not being a visible roll?) and the roll doesn't seem to be based on a single skill. Why does channeling in a netherwell increase Risk, which is generally for stealth stuff?
A: He doesn't remember. Doing risky sorcery things can accumulate risk, that includes Nether wells. It doesn't seem to be based on a single skill. All sorts of things apply, but it's not one where he's going to flat out say what applies. There is some RNG in there. There'll always be a challenge, it's never going to be 'i'm super good and untouchable'; the intention is it's always going to be dangerous no matter how good you are.

Q: I've asked about exports/imports to the Lost Lands before, but I'm curious if there are any notable exports or imports among the nations.
A: Raincheck. A BBS question, probably.

Q: Seeing two recent books titles, which nation might be known for alchemy?
A: It's going to depend on your definition. The Khaldeans like to mix things, strengthen metals, things like that --- if you're thinking lead to gold, that'd be Khaldeans (not that they're turning lead to gold. just kind of that alchemical changing metals and things like that). If we're thinking like modern fantasy game alchemy like potions and things like that, that would be the Huecatn.

Q: What might be some Giganti views on mining gems or metals?
A: That's kind of a big part of their whole thing. They're big into being in or under the mountain, mining its resources, and the various blessing of the Mountain Father that have been put there. There is a thing where the giganti like gems and stuff a lot, but the mountain father doesn't really. The idea is that the Mountain Father is more into kind of, natural gems yes --- but polishing them up not. It's more of a Giganti thing than a Mountain Father thing. They like their fancy metalworking. They'd be the ones that'd be really good at making alloys and stuff like that.

Q: Any particular opinions about the Giganti exporting gems or metals?
A: Yeah, that's a big thing of theirs, that's something they would do. For other cultures, it's a big thing if it's Giganti crafted.

Q: Is there anything you can tell us about the general cosmology about the world COGG is set in, that our PCs might know about? I know we don't have plane-hopping magic (and I don't ever expect to), but are there (whether scholarly or folkloric) accounts of other worlds, the afterlife, etc., beyond what is already listed on the wiki?

Specifically, I was thinking about the afterlife in general in regards to like... A punitive afterlife (akin the modern concept of "Hell"), but that led me to think about general non-terrestrial cosmology. Any weird other worlds you can tell us (even apocryphal) info about? Does Undm ONLY decide if a soul passes on or stays, or do they have purview over the "location" a soul goes in the afterlife?
A: We're going to make that one a BBS question.

Q: Will it ever be possible for PCs to interact with Temicotli in some way?
A: Maybe that's what the esp network is? that'd be something that potentially PCs could think that they might be utilising. But Rias doesn't like to confirm or deny some of the weirder cosmic stuff.

Q: Is the never page still a thing here?
A: No. But he should go look at the other one and see what's on it.

Q: In-universe, if someone made a large enough stack of shaol glyphs, could it work as a railgun?
A: He doesn't think so, it doesn't do anything other than make someting float.

Q: How do the Nuum view Vandin?
A: BBS. That's his new thing, just draggin' everything to the BBS. Vandin is one of the things that the Nuum aren't trying to quash. By the way, we all say Vand-IN, but it's really Van-DEEN. They're not like 'We revere this Immortal, it's more like this Immortal helps us store and retain knowledge and share it with the people we want to share it with. There's this being, it has these benefits that we can utilize. It's all about the storage and dissemination of information.

Q: has Nuum ever come into physical contact with Immortals, battles?
A: It's safe to say there are stories that allude to that, but no solid examples, e.g. Iarel stepping all over them or whatever to punish them.

C: The immortals appear to be extremely hands off generally, as a side-note.

Q: How kosher is it to run around wearing the faction tabards?
A: That was actually a thing that came up when that shop was made. There shouldn't be a Stormholdt one in there, a tabard that could be acquired by different means. He doesn't know that Stormholdt would love someone walking around wearing their emblem when they don't have anything to do with it. Someone from Stormholdt's like, 'Oh, i don't recognise you'. But for the other ones, they wouldn't realy care as much; they'd take that more as kind of like advertisement: "Oh hey you like the library", it's like a souvenir. The Stormholdt one is probably the only one where he wasn't sure. If you're wearing a Dominion tabard, it's like "Hey, I support the Dominion', rather than i'm an official Dominion spokesperson. For the Harbinger ones: you don't have to be a Harbinger to wear the symbols of a particular Immortal. If you're specifically a Harbinger, they'll have their own identification symbols or whatever, beyond this general symbol everyone has access too.

Q: Is the term ser specifically Viali?
A: It generally seems to fall in line with that, but it's maybe not exclusive.

Q: So it's safe to assume that, outside of the festival, IC, whatnot, an NPC might realistically actually reasonably obtain a tabard whenever. Perhaps if they had it commissioned, or they grabbed one off the shelf? Like, not player accessible, but "in lore"?
A: Oh yeah. It's not like these are coming out of exclusive shops or workshops within these places. For instance, if I said 'Hey I've got a tailor merchant that's turned up and theyre doing alterations', if you wanted a tabard altered and an Immortal's symbol on it, that's fine. Unless it's so official a symbol that they feel they don't have the right.

Q: Is it generally accepted that the light from the moon comes from the sun?
A: Yeah he thinks the Khaldeans have been spreading that idea around.

Q: Is there any plan to establish a justice system? How would that work, if so? I know we have a board for wanted posters, but is there a way for players to report crime? Do we have an end goal of how crime is meant to be handled?
A: the automated one exists; very crude right now. can't make decisions on what seems reasonable or not, if the conditions are right you get accused for this crime. sometimes weird stuff happens, it'd be nice to make things nicer, but not a high priority. ideas for how to do that are always welcome. when it comes to non-automatic stuff, it's something we should probably have some kind of means for dealing with. on the other hand, they really don't want to be playing moderator constantly and settling these things all the time; can be extremely time consuming and crazy for them. e.g. you go into the wilderness, bob kills joe. joe goes into the sheriff, where'd it happen, outside redrock, oh sorry that's out of town limits. can't enforce justice outside of town limits. good to know if players report this maybe. if bob then keeps ganking people all the time... something will probably happen if he keeps hanging around shadgard. maybe need to expand mechanic to report thieves persistently, go into jailhouse etc.maybe ability to report crime, even if it wasn't against you. don't want people to feel helpless, having sponsored players that can act as militia can get really hairy really fast. the people that want in on it for the wrong reasons... it just gets really difficult. it comes with all sorts of issues both IC and OOC, accusations of nepotism etc. etc. might have to be a mechanic where you can come by and dismiss charges if the victim. thinking off the top of head.

Q: Does the Resen affliction pass to aquatic lifeforms?
A: We could say that people have heard about it.

Q: How do the Resen-infected react when a character chops down a Steamstalk or similar interactable mushrooms in an infested area?
A: They get pretty grumpy about it. But there's an element of 'Are they attacking me because they're attacking me, or because i chopped down the steamstalk?'

Q: There are behavioral questions I often come up with that I'm not sure are appropriate for Voic Chats like this. Is there a better way to ask these?
A: These [above] questions, sure, they're fine to ask.

Q: What woods, metals and feathers do Bandits, Liberi and Infested use for arrows and sling bullets, et cetera? Things that vanish after being used.
A: The cheapest stuff available. That, and it's the way it is so people don't game it, sort of.

Q: How do Liberi react when you kill Sirens, how do they react when you run them ragged? I.e., how crazy do they GET?
A: That's more stuff that you just kind of have to see if it actually happens in the game. They're legitimate questions but NPC behaviors can differ depending on the situation, or on the GM running the thing. If you've got just a huge list of Qs, put them on the BBS.

Q: I think the general understanding of laws in Shadgard is that if it happened outside the gatehouse, the authorities won't get involved. Am I correct in thinking this? Is this sort of mentality going to be similar for the Dominion outpost, Mistral? Can this be considered a reason for leaving for the Dominion, since the expectation is that they are far more strict about law and order? How would a player run group dedicated to executing vigilante justice for matters outside the gates of Shadgard be viewed by the town and the proper authorities? Or another way to phrase it would be what consequences can you think of that a group such as this might face?
A: That's going to depend on the vigilante group. We had one in CLOK, some people thought they were awesome, some people hated them. It's just going to depend on what sort of impact they make; on the result from their actions. It's definitely a thing he could see happening in Shadgard. Someone mentioned shadgard outriders: that's one group. Shadgard aren't sweating over the fact they don't have legal jurisdiction outside of Shadgard though. If they actually want to do something about it they will. On the mistral side, it's all law and order supposedly. We also have the deliberate scenario where they have their hands full outside the playable area. They're busy elsewhere, they're stretched thin, so they're not this constantly present cracking down on everyone. They'd want to handle everything on their own, but because a lot of their manpower is essentially elsewhere they could contract out. He thinks mistral will have a similar system, it's going to depend on the scenario, results etc. If you killed someone out in Valeria, they might technically be a citizen but if they're not particularly known to them, it's going to be 'Sorry it's outside our jurisdiction.' If it was like, someone with a high standing in Mistral Lake, however, or someone who made a lot of donations, they might care a bit more and intervene.

Q: What does Mistral think of pistols? Related, are they like, occult is my god and use it for everything, or are they just occult freedom.
A: Pistols are just another weapon I guess. They're fine with that. They have their occult stuff they like to make use of. Mistral Lake is not going to be some super extreme arcane magical menagerie every step you take as you walk down the street, however.

Q: Will Mistral scoff at technology over occult?
A: No, they're practical people. If it works it works. He doesn't know that the towns are going to have equivalents of the same thing, e.g. steamworks in Mistral --- it would water down the differences.

Q: Might there be other uses for pneumatic steam apparatus?
A: Sure, but he doesn't want it to be anything game-breaking, or invalidate skills, or be crazy. Please suggest ideas for other uses for the machinery. Bear in mind this is 'make it work', flaky tech --- not incredibly intricate steamwork stuff.

Q: Do the Khaldeans have any particular viewpoints on Kebyet?
A: He doesn't have anything in mind but will have to think about it.

C: [promissory] Notes are not stealable, by the way. We just didn't want that, it could be horrible for players.

C: Escape methods are a main thing for Rogues, a flavour thing. They're not supposed to be warrior-tier combatants. He doesn't want them to be combat experts. On the other hand, he does see them being capable if they choose to go that route. They're obviously not Marauders.

C: Adventurers are like the "middle" guild; they can kind of go in any direction but are not like the experts in either direction.
Last edited by tulpa on Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Teri

Re: Voicechat: 4th June 2022 2pm MST (Post your questions here)

Post by Teri »

Moving questions from last week to here:

Maina: What determines the roll and CR of nether wells doing their thing? The CR changes each time (despite not being a visible roll?) and the roll doesn't seem to be based on a single skill. Why does channeling in a netherwell increase Risk, which is generally for stealth stuff?

1: I've asked about exports/imports to the lost lands before, but I'm curious if there are any notable exports or imports among the nations.

2: Seeing two recent books titles, which nation might be known for alchemy?

3: What might be some Giganti views on mining gems or metals?
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Apologies if this has come up before (I did a cursory search, and couldn't find anything but if someone else does please let me know).

Is there anything you can tell us about the general cosmology about the world Cogg is set in, that our PCs might know about? I know we don't have plane-hopping magic (and I don't ever expect to), but are there (whether scholarly or folkloric) accounts of other worlds, the afterlife, etc., beyond what is already listed on the wiki?

Specifically, I was thinking about the afterlife in general in regards to like... A punitive afterlife (akin the modern concept of "Hell"), but that led me to think about general non-terrestrial cosmology. Any weird other worlds you can tell us (even apocryphal) info about? Does Undm ONLY decide if a soul passes on or stays, or do they have purview over the "location" a soul goes in the afterlife?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Serity

Post by Serity »

In-universe, if someone made a large enough stack of shaol glyphs, could it work as a railgun?
Teri

Post by Teri »

From a random comment recently: How do the Nuum view Vandin?
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Serity

Post by Serity »

How kosher is it to run around wearing the faction tabards? I imagine Stormholdt wouldn't be too happy about it, at least at the festival, but I'm also wondering how the others feel, considering "wearing a faction tabard" *typically* means you're officially representing them, especially the guards.
blythe

Post by blythe »

Is there any plan to establish a justice system? How would that work, if so? I know we have a board for wanted posters, but is there a way for players to report crime? Do we have an end goal of how crime is meant to be handled?
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Asked by Baako, who was too lazy, AKA forgot, to put it on BBS himself.

Does the Resen affliction pass to aquatic lifeforms?

From me: Not sure if you're willing to answer this in the given format but, how do those with Resen react when a character chops down a Steamstalk or similar interactable mushrooms in an infested area?

There are behavioral questions I often come up with that I'm not sure are appropriate for Voic Chats like this. Is there a better way to ask these?

What woods, metals and feathers do Bandits, Liberi and Infested use for arrows and sling bullets, et cetera things that vanish after being used.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Will it ever be possible for PCs to interact with Temicotli in some way? I've been kind of fascinated with it lately. I could see powerful occultists using it to travel from place to place in Arad -- not that that would ever be available to PCs -- but maybe we could use it to send messages across long distances, scry distant locations, or similar bizarre and dangerous things.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I think the general understanding of laws in Shadgard is that if it happened outside the gatehouse, the authorities won't get involved. Am I correct in thinking this? Is this sort of mentality going to be similar for the Dominion outpost, Mistral? Can this be considered a reason for leaving for the Dominion, since the expectation is that they are far more strict about law and order? How would a player run group dedicated to executing vigilante justice for matters outside the gates of Shadgard be viewed by the town and the proper authorities? Or another way to phrase it would be what consequences can you think of that a group such as this might face?
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again