Emotes and @ targeting

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Emotes and @ targeting

Post by Rias »

Just to let everyone know.

When using the EMOTE command and referencing other characters in the room (PC and NPC alike), use @ to target them. (example: emote glances at @frank before turning back to face @gertrude.) Doing so will ensure that the intro system is used accordingly, so everyone in the room sees the names that they know the targeted characters as (or default descriptions if no name has been assigned).

Hopefully that makes sense. I heard there was some worry that emotes were revealing names that bystanders potentially should not know.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Emotes and @ targeting

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: Emote messaging will no longer substitute "you" or "your" for targeted character names in the messaging said targeted characters see directed at them. They will simply see their own name as if in third-person.

This should help avoid confusing situations such as the following:

Let's say Ramza and Algus are in a scene, and Algus has just raised a crossbow. Ramza then writes the following: emote glances at @algus, wary of the crossbow he has raised.

Algus would see: "Ramza glances at you, wary of the crossbow he has raised."

From Algus' perspective, it sounds like Ramza is wary of Ramza's own crossbow rather than of Algus', because "you" and "he" don't match up as the same person in the second-person perspective.

There's other little stuff that was problematic, like you have vs he has, etc.

We'll see how this feels - it should make it a lot less stressful writing up emotes like the above that previously required re-wording things to sound right for the target (and worrying about whether you might unknowingly forget to take it into account). And as a silver lining, it'll be easier to note when emotes are targeting you if you have your own name as a highlight or sound trigger.

Feedback is appreciated, as always! It will likely feel a little jarring at first, so we'll be giving this a good while to settle in and allow people to get used to it in order to avoid making judgments based primarily on initial gut responses to a potentially controversial change to the RP scene.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Re: Emotes and @ targeting

Post by Gorth »

This is a great help to me. I've noticed my flow of RP slowing fast lately as I atempt to care more about the way the emotes look on all ends. This is what I've wanted for a long time. It doesn't perfectly match the perspective of the rest of the Mud, considering it's first person for combat and crafting MISC actions, but that's fine. You can't win them all, and my solution for making everythign first person would be highly highly difficult to make right, and probably drive people away from emoting in general, whih is the opposite of what you want.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.