What do you think about

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Talyn

What do you think about

Post by Talyn »

So, this was discussed and not many know it but your character has thoughts too! The command is THINK so what do your character think about? This is a hard one because many people don't know what to think, or if they should. Now, the think command makes your character seem more alive, I mean we all have thoughts but what do you think about? Some people think about anything and everything. How does a situation make you feel? Did that mean spider worshiper threaten you? Think about it. Maybe you are staring awestruck about a massive building or lake. Think helps the GM's understand how your character works, since all thoughts are Logged and go directly to the GM's.

These are just a few examples that Baako does for think. I am definitely no expert at the think command and in fact I forget it's there at times.

think I should really give an offering to Aranas. Who's going to be my next prey

think this woman doesn't know what the heck she's talking about. I'm done with this, Aranas take her soul.

think I wonder if so and so(npc) is around. I have something unguent to talk with them about (Keep in mind that the think command is not a GM bell. For your safety and the sanity of the GM's don't abuse it)

If anyone else has examples of how best to use the Think command I would love to see them. They don't have to be what your character actually thinks for sake of Privacy but it helps give ideas to newer players or those who might not actually use the think command.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Teri

Re: What do you think about

Post by Teri »

Two among my recent dozen thinks were calling Baako an idiot last week.... >.> but some of my thinks are before and after doing stupid things, character plans, and going wth at times.
"I might end up dying later fer this,"
"Someday I'm going to be able to give coydog this ball"
"I probably shouldn't have done that."
"This note is weird and interesting."
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Remember, think isn't the summon a GM bell. Don't think things like "I wonder if XYZ NPC is available to talk to me right now."

Thinks are for thinking!

I often think snippy things I wouldn't say out loud, either in response to esp conversations that I'm not involved in or something I'm witnessing.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

A while ago, my thoughts were far and few between, mostly just comments if someone did a weird thing, or the occasional WTF at the GM's events and what have you.

But recently, they've gotten a little more elaborate, due to my character being wrapped up in a bit of...things. Sometimes I pair thinks with prayers, or similar. But I try to temper it because I don't want to spam the GMs, and people don't want to listen to Maya's thoughts all the time. Ick.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

I use my thinks mostly for foreshadowing (to give the GMs a clue as to what sorts of shenanigans my character is going to do next), narrating/explaining something my character just did or is in the process of doing for context, interacting with a GM plot, and then the OCCASIONAL bit of snarky/savage commentary, but only if I think the commentary in question helps flesh out my character or otherwise gives insight into her personality a bit. And even then, I try to make sure it's at least a little amusing so it might give a GM a good chuckle (hopefully).

So for example, I wouldn't ever have her think, "Gods, this man is useless," but I might very well have her think something like, "Gods, this man is about as useful as Roen in a brothel," or something.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I usually do thinks both to signal to a GM "Hey, here's some things I'm trying to do", especially in relation to "rituals" and "rites", or whenever my character has an opinion they may not verbally (or publicly) express (probably very similarly to Delphine).

Examples:

think Well, I hope that [REDACTED] enjoys this offering of [REDACTED], I worked hard at it!
before doing some RP/Emotes involving an offer to an Immortal/Spirit/Etc. (with other relevant thinks peppered in there)

think That SoAndSo really likes to run their mouth.

think Look at ThisPerson - just walking around covered in blood with a dagger around town. That's so strange!

think Typical, arguing on the town board again.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Prism

Post by Prism »

So I personally think about a lot of things. Everything from what has been mentioned already to much more obscure and personal stuff. I have a lot to say about this, but here's a few quick thought examples while I have a moment.

"I wonder what father would think if he saw me now."

"One day, they will refer to me as Crispy. One day, I will break, and they will die."

"What is my fate, that I find myself lingering upon this plane? If death lacks finality-- what of the beyond? What of the current? Am I even who I was before?"

"The winds blow, the rains fall. Quite an auspicious eve."

"...I'm so sick of bread."

"Vodr help me, I'm going after it with a dagger if it breaks my line again."

I believe my point has been soundly made-- don't be afraid of your thoughts. Embrace them. Don't *spam* it obviously, but don't feel like you're being too verbose, either. Express yourself. It builds character.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
HeckTurtle

Post by HeckTurtle »

I am very bad at remembering to use the think command. When I do remember to use it, though, it's usually for these sorts of situations:
  • something my character is planning to do if it's something I plan in advance (she can be pretty spontaneous)
  • something my character wants to do, but feels hindered by something else
  • internal struggles, because she rarely ever expresses these to other characters
  • when her actions/conversations with people don't line up with her thoughts or beliefs
  • showing the progress of character development, doubting things and then resolving those doubts through some means
  • things that are just on her mind
Generally, while doing these, I attempt to avoid more mundane situations, e.g. for wanting to do something but feeling hindered by something else, I won't do: "Man, I really need to get all this thread woven, but I'm feeling so lazy right now." Unless it's also used to express something less mundane that could also explain other things my character has been doing (or not doing), e.g. "I need to get all of this thread woven, but I've been so tired and demotivated as of late. And there's so many other things I need to do. I can't be bothered." This might be paired with other thinks scattered here and there that might clarify why my character has felt demotivated and so on. This is mostly personal preference, though--I would say to do as you're comfortable with!

Hopefully this may have given someone a better idea on what to use the think command for, if they had some doubts about it. Everyone has great thoughts, here, and the suggestions have also been helping me get ideas!
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

I use the THINK command to flesh out my character, give color commentary on a situation, or provide a basis for future action on my character's part (whether that action is immediate or merely a potential one). Here are a few examples for Dylan:
  • You think to yourself, "Ain't sure 'xactly what I'm s'posed to be seein' in the lake. Maybe it only works for Giganti. Still thought I'd take a peek."
  • You think to yourself, "I reckon some folks just need a good-old ass whoopin' 'fore they learn any sense."
  • You think to yourself, "Ain't this the strangest damn thing. The two o' us here in the weaver's place, makin' thread!"