Voice Chat Notes From Saturday March 26th

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

Voice Chat Notes From Saturday March 26th

Post by Teri »

Voice Chat notes down below.

Q: If you channel nether while making a clay pot, will you make a whorled clay pot full of evil magic? Or will it just disintegrate?
A: Not if you aren't deliberately doing it but you might break your clay like it destroys most others things. Only sticks around as long as you are channeling unless it is a controlled situation or ritual.

Q: Is there an IC/Lore reason (that players/PC would be privy to) behind why a specific Avatars are associated with specific people for Druidic Commune?
A: Not really, people can say they chose it because they felt an affinity, or felt moved to make that choice. Designed by humans and is a utility

Q: What is the extent of the Undying's Healing as it pertains to subtle muscle damage and scarring. I.E. Do scars heal? If that's the case, would tiny skin imperfections, birthmarks, dry skin rashes etc heal as well? What is too little or too much to be healed?
A: General idea is vague. If you get a wound and if it has had enough time to become a scar it would stick around and same for ideas or long term disease. If they lost a limb and they didn't die for a long time and die later they would be missing that limb.

Q: Are there any plans for, if not custom, then a list of choices, such as in totem designs for clothing/leatherworking? I.E. a billowing, short or curve-hugging dress?
A: Wants to do it and more suggestion are helpful on bbs

Q: Is there any visible action, beyond the pendant lighting up, that indicates someone is speaking over ESP? I've had a few occasions of wanting to emote something related to my pendant. I believe a recent case was something like the following: emote shrugs his shoulders, offering in a bored tone, "No, he hasn't given me any reason to--" he pauses, glancing down at his pendant and opening his mouth as if to say something before shrugging again and returning to his previous line of thought. This works, of course, I was just curious if there was anything else I could do, especially if I had chosen to actually respond via ESP. (edited)
A: Talking out loud is picked up by the pendant

Q: What is the distinction between Pierce and Puncture in your mind? Additionally, how about Slash and Hack? Bludgeon and crush? Likely a couple similar sounding damage types I'm missing, I don't have a chart here of all of them.
A: A lot of the time he considered it the force behind it. Pierce is precise, and the puncture is the force with something heavy behind it like a polehammer.
Bludgeon and crush are similar. Less weight like quarterstaff, and crush is better for more armor. Hack and slash are different motions slash different movement hack is chopping where slash is sliding it across. Example from vc you chop an onion, you slice a tomato.

Q: I want to know about non-Lost Lands currencies. (personally, specifically khaldean/seven cities but i'm sure other people would appreciate information on other regions')
A:Khaldea was one of the folks that put a lot of effort connecting more of the world and the development of common language and riln currency. Hill folk just use riln and not historical forms of currency. Something more to be written up. There was an old Faewyr ones and it was in use in old aetgard until they adopted riln. There were those and vilali coins in other game.
later aetgard adopted riln idea from khaldea and agreed on it to bond with old aetgard, dev out of some other currency

Q: What are the extents of personal character customization plans in the future? I.E. Will we ever be able to customize our character's walking styles (Maya bounces west), higher level of description via look Maya command etc?
A: Maybe. But feels it knocks him out of the feel of things. Considering it, but meh. Would need to be convinced.
For facial features etc: Would be happy to add more if kept to a standard and without different writing styles. More hair description options, or nose, eyebrows, nails and nail polish. Give suggestions on bbs

Q: What does Nether taste like?
A:Would be too concerned with pain and agony. Do they taste the familiar. Spose they do but it doesn't take like cotton candy

Q: What do resen mushrooms/spores/steamstalks taste like?
A:Gross.

Q: There was a post a while back regarding hiding log in/log out messages. I know I have had some concerns about the possibility of people taking OOCly-motivated revenge across characters before on both COGG and The Other Game; I am generally more comfortable only having people know my alts if I tell them. Did you have any thoughts on this, either for or against?
A: Pondering it after this question. One can use logout instead of disconnect and it doesn't show when switching characters.

Q: To continue the sudden tonal whiplash: what sort of suggestions are more helpful? Less helpful? If there's any tips you have for how people can make the most effective suggestions, either with formatting or content, I'm sure we would all welcome them?
A: Getting suggestions at all is great. No preference but it is nice when people give suggestions like abilities like in existing formats.

Q: Will we have any ability to style/control the length of our haircut at any point?
A: For now a merchant thing, but likes the idea of something people could do. A system for hair length/beards

Q: Lorewise, how many Giganti on average are at the high range of height (6 foot 10 - 7 foot), the short range (6 foot, 6 foot 4 inches)? Do Giganti look down on the shorter of their kind in any way? Related, the Giganti are said to be proud. How often do they produce offspring of Mixed race, and are those who show signs of other races, non-giganti colored hair and eyes etc, similarly looked down upon?
A:most will be on the taller side and the shorter ones will stand out and be picked on but once in the more mature circles it isn't going to matter much. If they are disliked by the community they will make fun of them. If they were really scrawny, sure since they have pride in their stature and might. There is something about their physiology but they don't tend to produce scrawny people even if short they will be beefy. If it was to the point the giganti if there was something wrong with them but it was beyond the current limites
If you want to roleplay the smallest and scrawniest there is nothing wrong rping that.

Q: Can help reroll (or some other document) be updated with all the syntaxes of rerolls? e.g. brackets, ambush exclamation points, etc. As well as clarification on their meanings (is an ambush -3! in addition to the shown normal reroll value, or already included in it?)
A: That would be nice. Another one for the pile. the thing in parentheses is how much it was pushed down due to ambush.

Q: The new Nuum file is great! The description of the hierarchy made me curious: is social position by lineage or purely meritocratic or somewhere between?
A: Supposed to be by merit and who the leaders decide on, but also consider family or friends. A lot of nepotism. Interesting dynamic because when a leader switches they can change who they want but they can appeal to someone specifically, they don't want to show too much loyalty to one because they want to stay with the next and don't want to be booted out. They want to do a good job but not look devoted.

Q: What is the general break on 'arranged marriages for political benefit' vs 'marriage for love' across Arad? I suspect the Lost Lands are on the 'marriage for love' end for the most part. What is marriage like in Nuum, if it exists?
A:Not something he has thought about spec for nuum
Could see some nuum trying to impress and are sought after for occult prowess
It is a thing for Tol Rhun and Iviali and a lot of emphasis on bloodlines in Rhun

Q: How do people learn arcana?
They have things they try to be subtle but general education for common folk with occult
Example: Kids try this subtle, easy thing and the results are good for them having talents and bringing them in for specific talents and may take them under their wing for education if they seem very skilled and funnel them to useful things (note takers comment on funneling them towards things)
Another example: Hey kids, look at these paintings and they include diagrams and they can "ask what did you see or feel” or ask if something clicked or they got something from it. Kid understands there is a shape or form. They get really mesmerized or say they are getting headaches and not. People also have the means or other trade of goods or shady dealings to ask to test their children if they really want them to have opportunities.
(If a player looks at an arcane circle and they don’t know a rune, they won’t know what it is within it)

The glyphs we know in the arcana system are ones the Nuum know about. Depending on their jobs many maintenance workers would know the same ones taught in the library.They would be very picky about what they give out and don't want everyone knowing. Higher ups can request testing and have funds for it.

Q: Are ESP colors chosen by the holder of them or is it like a reflection of their mind or something spooky arcane?
A: It is similar to a druidry avatar question. It is chosen but they can say they were moved by a color or it called to me. Deliberately designed system that is chosen.

Q: When a sorcerer flings nether, punches people with nether, or otherwise interacts with nether are they touching it? If so, how do they not lose their hands? If not, how do they control it? Is it with raw force of will, a deep understanding of what nether is or something totally different?
A: The idea is that it is a combination unless it is specifically for a sition but it is coming out from the hands or wrists. Part from the cahneling/conjuring there is a period of time where it doesn't adversely affect you. You probably feel colder but it makes things cold around it and because you are conjuring ir for you and assuming you have aptitude it won't harm you. The longer you have it the longer you have for it getting out of control. Nether fist it isn't hanging out, it is a burst of nether and hits them. (note taker is envisioning hadoken)

Q: Are there any Dark Immortals that present as female?
A: 3 are presenting as female.

Q:The Harbingers going to be for a set collection of Immortals, or could a player invent their own local Dark Immortal from their home town or something?
A: Major dark ones are very vague and hands off, something village local would a local spiritualized belief in. When you get to that point and it isn't recognized or is maybe a primal entity. Numm had limited scope of minor immortals but that was specific to the nuum cities. something outside would be a very vague local village disbelief. Could be a backstory one, but minor. Harbingers are a very specific line up of immortals.
Is it acceptable for players to invent 'minor' Immortals? I believe there is lore in several places mentioning immortals of a single village or location.
Q. Maaaybe. Email about it first so it isn't wildly conflicting

Q: Or even a 'dark' interpretation of a not-traditionally-Dark ImmortalLike if a Harbinger Faewyr wanted to worship Iarel as the 'bringer of storms and natural disasters because she don't give an F'
A:: The goal of harbingers is to bring recognition to an immortal that isn't well recognized and is a very specific group of immortals depending on interpretations. Part of the reason harbingers are a thing is that their followers say they were dealt a bad hand because they don't get the recognition of other immortals. Darker interpretations likely not, because then it gets weird. Why is vandin giving harbinger powers when they are not typically associated and blurs things.

Q: How does ivial's justice system work, if you have a more specific idea of it than what's implied in some of the articles on viali/ivial?
A: Imagines they have an involved and entangled and obnoxious justice system with red tape and weird posturing and it is all very painful to get through things. They do try to be merciful. A lot of their big criminals they exiled.
Nuum and thol rhun are more likely to execute.
Giaganti they would tend towards execution or exile, it would depend on the tribe or clan and what the crime was.
Huactans: You can rot or be a sacrifice. They are pretty tough folks and can be aggressive but don't do a lot of killing even in wars but they are big on taking prisoners and showing they are better and can outdo the others. They try to get the other side to admit defeat or flee or take prisoners.
The other lands: Would likely more life in jail and exile.

Q: If you want to accomplish any in-character action that is not coded; some project or profoundly ill-advised activity with NPCs or something, what is the way to go about this?
A: Use the think command when rping things out.

Rambling on expectations and responses for goals:
Try to keep roleplaying it and get people behind you rping it but don’t let it become an expectation. Getting godly responses involves a number of factors. Wants to figure out a way to make it better. Keep at it after you do your thing, if possible, stick around for a little while after any thinks or prayers. He has had moments when writing a response characters have run off immediately. In the case of special stuff or features, he would love to do special things for everybody, but timing, focus and rp for the right thing can be years in the making.

Q: Are prayers to multiple immortals all right
A: Are acknowledged if there are multiple immortals, but likely some want to be the main focus.

Q: A question about having an impact on the town, or things communicate wishes to the town leaders to feel there is an impact in town
A: Wants to have town reps be present or in the town hall to ask questions and get a response. He would like to do more things like that to help the town be more alive and part of the town and for the town to have moments set aside to take ideas.
Does not want mail to nps again, it was too much.

Q: I looked at some older posts where it was considered Porto would be the faction instead of Shadgard. What led to it being settled on Shadgard? The imbalance between Shadgard and the entire Dominion has been discussed in the past, and now that I know about this 'Republic of Exiles,' I'm curious why (if?) Porto was decided against.
A: The other places were established and know what he could do with them and porto has a good amount of question marks about it that he needs to flesh out. Unfair for one faction to have sea access which is another reason emberlight is nice and between the lines and it is a port and doesn't want it to cut off from either faction

Q: any particular reasoning behind not being able to have some context on RPA's? I'd really love to know what I'm doing right. Usually I can theorize, but there's no way to be sure, especially when I play characters that do lots of things in a day that might possibly warrant one.
A: (I don’t have notes here, but discussion was about it swaying how people react to others knowing who was doing so and hard feelings it could cause)

Q: Is it intentional that South Balkr Pass have the Forest tag for the environment, but no trees that show up when one uses SURVEY?
A: Forgot to populate it

Q: Since (literal) bells are used for time-keeping, are these cast bells in a belltower, or a crier's handbell? If the former, are they rung manually, or are they clockwork? Could they be used by players to signal a threat, or announce a great occasion?
A: There is a bell at the shadgard town hall. We don't let people because they would be annoying

Q: Is there a courtroom, or makeshift courtroom, in Shadgard? Are criminals brought to trial, or is the Sheriff the last word? (edited)
A: There is a court that keeps it to major instances of things. Might not be fair but it is a frontier monster area post apoc location. If you were in ivial you might get something, but Shadgard it is what the sheriff thinks and what are they on duty at the moment. Lore wise mistveil and shadgard aren't fair or right and are imperfect things in a imperfect fantasy world.

Q: How does aiming work? I thought it was based on the end roll, but a roll of 300 vs 0 (100%) hit the leg when aiming at the neck, so it seems entirely unrelated.
A: it is it's own roll that doesn't show up anywhere otherwise the endroll would be stacking it too much.

Q: What's the Geography of Karnath like? We have some idea (hilly, sometimes mountainous region, referenced to in the Hillfolk helpfile), but it'd be nice to get some more ideas of what the region looks like, and what kinds of naming schemes they use for their towns, villages, and hamlets (and if they do have any larger cities, or any trade or port cities of note)
A: They have alebrook which is a big town but not a cit but a bustling towns and is the biggest town
They have a port town down south on the coast that is pretty big, lots of goods and trade. They have a scattering of towns elsewhere. Hills and mountains, low mountains until you get to the northeast and east and then mountains get bigger. They have some open grassland meadow scattered here and there. No massive plains part of why they call themselves the hill folk
There is snow melt, and it is a very idyllic kind of place, fortunate they ended up there, lots or rivers rolling through and some lakes and stuff. It snows at higher elevations.
Fey forest is northwest between western coast and mountains. Karnath has a lot of coastline
Everyone but nuum has lots of coastline

Quarantine wall in southeast going from mountains to coast to the Khladeans that they maintain. Khaldeans toss them goods and they are buddies
Names descriptive common names thing alebrooks briarwood springdale stone haven. Would be invaded without the quarantine and a small amount probably try. They get everyone together to beat people back
Not like the nuum giving super fancy names

Q: Another geography question! Ivial and Nuum are at war; what is the border like? How "hot" is the war?
A: It isn't super intense at the moment, people at the border are skimirishes but not in a constant state of conflict. The leaders are trying to wrap it up but it isn't a constant. There isn't a wall Viali would have a hard time pushing into because of the arid landscape. They have some forts and stuff out there. He is talking about recently built forts, not towering bastians of stone. The king of Iviali is facepalming the fact that there is a war, but there is a stupid Nordarida is a very controversial spot because they are blamed for starting the war, and the Count is going whatever and this is my right and this land is mine and is weaponizing fear and hate over the nuum taking slaves. both nuum and ivalia hate the count. The count thinks his land sucks and wants to get more land, mostly has scrub brush and pretty dry. Not many resources. Not valuable land but still land, but the count figures the only thing they can do now is get more land.
The Khaldeans are enjoying it probably

Q: So what do you feel about getting cooking to 1, and using tasks and for for EXP?
A:Thinks it is goofy but yeah it is up there with other silly things if they really want to, if that is their jam you do you.

Q: (What is the Welcomers' Treaty? I couldn't find further info on it when I looked
A: When the Viali first showed up from Constantia and the Fasa helped them get situated and survive and welcomed to the neighborhood the Viali kept claiming land and building walls and forts and defending it. Fasa went yo cut this out, we want you to survive and you are taking too much land. They had a little war the north of the landing on the southeast and it wasn't terrible because they liked each other and eventually the Fasa kicked their butts and Viali stopped and went: We are going to create a treaty, this land we were trying to take, this land is Fasa land forever. The Fasa went whatevs land is land, didn’t don't care about the land, but you gifted us this land we fought you from claiming in the first place? Whatever.
Fasa don't let nuum though?
Previously the nuum would try to claim the land, less you can't travel on this land more you can't claim this is your land. They think in general claiming land by other groups is stupid.

Q:Trade routes or outpost?
They are wary of the nuum making a tradepost. They are okay with a tiny port settlement. Any presence nuum have on the waters is from that spot. It is a favourite place for viali troublemakers to harass them.
What if an army tried to march from nuum? They won't like any marching but nuum could potentially go around the ivial border wall and try to flank the Viali.
Fasa and viali are buddies. They wouldn' run in and fight, but they would tip off the Viali.
The fasa do have certain areas they consider sacred that don't want other people coming into. Could be considered hypocritical that apply that to sacred spots.
The Fasa think any nation trying to take over land is stupid and stop any from trying near them. They have done things their way roaming with animals and stuff for a long while totally fine. They see big forts and claiming land, and see it leads to war or overharvesting areas or changing the landscape. Like walls, they don't like them. What gives you the right to some of this land is the general consensus of Fasa’s opinion on it.

Q: Are there any creatures respected in Nuum? The desert is a dangerous location, whether it be preserving your body's water or trying to kill what's trying to kill you. This is more for outskirt towns, none of the ones greatly protected from Arcane arts.
A:BBS it

Q:How big are brown worms?
A:They could swallow a horse?

Q: Are there any invertebrate Great Animal Spirits?
A: Yes

Q: One of the lore bits mentions the Old Kaldrgate Highway. Presumably, this is the east-west road leading to the abandoned canyon village. Is Kaldrgate a specific place? I thought maybe it was the abandoned canyon village, but now I'm not so sure.
A: Needs to eyeball it

Q: From what I recall on the Other Game, druidic powers/spells were limited in their function and scope re: insects. Is this still the case for Cogg? (edited)
A:Kind of. Can't recall if it was a no to insectes. It can affect insects but will affect them differently from other critters. Does affect lizards, insects and fish but may work in different ways or different limitations from other animals.

Q: This might be a reappearing question and if so I'm sorry, but Primal spirits, are they only felt through druidic means, or could a normal human accidentally stumble upon one. Clearly to one untrained they might think it a ghost or spectre. (Not mechanics more RP)
A:People could feel the effects of primal spirits without being a druid, but of course druids will sense or get a better read on them. If they are powerful, non druids would feel a presence or feel something is off there. depends on what the primal spirit is suited for. Very variable things. Not always detectable.

Q: Society question for Harbingers! While I understand societies are not at the forefront of your thought, what is the end result in a perfect world for Harbingers? Would a harbinger worship only 1 dark god or all the dark gods?
A: Could go both ways but more specific. Multiples of for the cause of the harbingers and not to the exclusions of the others.
The harbingers when it comes to all the immortals involved in it aren't buddies but they are realizing they could all fight alone and have no chance or we all understand the problem and cooperate if they work together and make it a bigger effort. Adherents understand as a collective they will have less problems working together.

Q: Can Brigandine Pants hide something small like tights or Trousers, so that I can get the excellent legs warmth without visibly wearing two pairs of pants? Secondarily, can Brigandine/padded Pants get bound by belts, so that people can actually see the pouch and sheathes I carry around?
A: Maybe
Will fix

Q: I often fill VC with questions I mostly want the answer to for character background reasons. I did see, in the scrollback on question , you offered to help people with their backgrounds if they needed it. Would it be easier for you to take a look at a background on your own time rather than having the questions here? Is there a preferred way to ask for this? Do you desperately regret making that offer in the past and wish it were wiped from the annals of history as a flood of work filled your inbox immediately?
A: Would love to help people with their backgrounds, shoot an email.

Q: Now that people have been booted from Shadgard, if they die, will their new body rise in Shadgard until a new location comes in? Does that mean they'll cause trouble breaking the law of not being allowed back in town?
A: There are respawn spots outside town.

Q: Might we see different kinds of climbs that require specialist equipment, in addition to a simple scale according to difficulty? For example, ice/glacier climbs/walks that require crampons, picks or alpenstocks? Or even 'caving' areas? Perhaps a more open ended way to put it: could you see it becoming more involved than it is now, or are you happy with it (especially regarding its status as a skill that doesn't require practice)?
A: Really likes those ideas, please give him ideas

Q: Will leatherworking have more stuff to be made, and will there be more animals to hunt for pelts?
A: Yes
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Teri

Re: Voice Chat Notes From Saturday March 26th

Post by Teri »

Bumping this with the voice chat notes from last saturday edited into the post above.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Teri wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:07 pm Bumping this with the voice chat notes from last saturday edited into the post above.
Greatly appreciate you taking the time to take and post the notes! :)
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Teri

Post by Teri »

Thank you and you are welcome!
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Teri wrote:Q: any particular reasoning behind not being able to have some context on RPA's? I'd really love to know what I'm doing right. Usually I can theorize, but there's no way to be sure, especially when I play characters that do lots of things in a day that might possibly warrant one.
A: (I don’t have notes here, but discussion was about it swaying how people react to others knowing who was doing so and hard feelings it could cause)
I kind of disagree with this, but I've been known to care a little less for such things myself, and I do admit I have a limitted experience with RP games. Even if I do wish, at least a way to opt into hearing reasons, I'll just bow to other people as I have no good points to add beyond...I want it?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.