Questions Regarding Game Release and Resets!

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Lexx416

Questions Regarding Game Release and Resets!

Post by Lexx416 »

Given that questions about the gaming being fully released, and there being a potential reset of skills and abilities, I thought I'd start a thread dedicated specifically to asking questions about this.

I'm going to start by posting the questions and responses I've seen on the Discord here.

Rias: On the subject of a character wipe/reset, I think I'll probably only reduce levels for people who chose a starting level above 1, when that was still an option. What do you all think?

Karjus: By reduce, you mean take us all back to 1?
Rias: No, I mean if you started at 5, and you're now level 7, you'd be taken down to 2. I'd only reduce it by the amount skipped at character creation, if that makes sense.

Irylia: would a full reset be an option? at least of abilities
Rias: So the levels you've earned stay with you. If you started at level 1, no effect.
Rias: Sure, there could be a reroll option as well.

Karjus: Oh, I forgot you're going to offer a starting level above 1.
Rias: I was, but it's no longer an option. It was handy for testing, getting people to test some of the higher levels
Rias: Could be a thing though for retiring characters. Retire an old character, get the option to boost a new character a bit rather than starting from level 1.

Irylia: so if we were to take that option would we have to worry about a reset later on or that would count as it?
Rias: @Irylia I'm not sure what you mean
Irylia: if we reroll or get our level reduced is there going to be another reset later we have to worry about?
Rias: Oh, no. I think it'll just be a cutoff date thing. Once we get to that point, everyone is reduced by any skipped levels, and you'll get a one-time option to reset your skills/abilities.

Shaula: I just want to make sure, are we going to lose our skill points at the reset?
Rias: @Shaula Only if you choose to do a manual skill reset. The only people who will automatically lose skill points are those who started at a level higher than 1. Like our friend Keleran over there.

That's an interesting thought though. If we're getting a skill/ability reset, will there be a guild reset?
(unanswered)
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Re: Questions Regarding Game Release and Resets!

Post by Rias »

I didn't plan on resetting guilds, but I could be convinced.

I did remember that I keep track of a character's lifetime earned experience, so I'll probably just reset levels to 1, re-apply the lifetime earned experience, and let that level people up for however much experience they've earned before the reset. So for people that started higher than level 1, they'll still keep all the experience they earned. Then I'll probably reset everyone's skill levels, but not practice levels, so skills that a character practiced up before the reset can be instantly raised to however high their practice and experience level will allow.

And I'll probably do this fairly soon, just to get it out of the way. My only real reason for doing it is the "started at a level higher than 1" thing, but I also know some people took skills and abilities they wouldn't have necessarily taken if we weren't still technically in testing mode.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Questions Regarding Game Release and Resets!

Post by Rias »

Here's what I'm going with as far as character resets.

- Guilds (and therefore classes) will be cleared. If you're one of those people who regrets the guild your character joined: rejoice. If you're not: just join the same guild again. Easy-peasy.
- All learned abilities will be removed.
- All learned recipes will be removed.
- Skills will be reset to 0, but not practice levels. All the skill practice a character has gotten will still be there, so skills can be increased back up to that level without having to grind practice.

When it comes to levels/experience, there will be two options.
- "Soft Reset": Reset your level to 1, but keep all experience you've earned. This will level you back up again based on the amount of experience you have. If you started your character at 1, this won't affect you, so no worries. This only affects people who started at a level above 1.
- "Hard Reset": Reset your level to 1, and remove all experience you've earned. If for whatever reason you want to start back at square 1, this is for you.

Money/inventory/bank vaults will not be reset. I reserve the right to confiscate anything produced pre-reset though, like buggy items, or items intended for testing only. Same goes for the possibility of riln decreases if I find anything was particularly exploitable, or produced way more than it should have, or something like that. I don't think I'll need to do either of those things, but I'm trying to keep my bases covered just in case.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO