Chat/OOC Updates Pt. III

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
nobody

Re: Chat/OOC Updates Pt. III

Post by nobody »

artus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:10 pm Usually when people report lag, it's not a minor lag thattakes seconds to pass. Sometimes the net is really bad and they disconnect every 2 minutes in an rp. While it may be better explained in one on one setting, telling the crowd isn't gonna be easy especially when 6 people are in the room.
For me personally, if someone drops off and immediately logs back in, I will often ask if they need last lines repeated. In larger rooms though, and especially if you are dropping off and logging back in repeatedly, everyone in the room should already know you are having connection issues without having to be told.
artus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:10 pm Something else to bring to attention: afk at its current state has something that doesn't break it and things that aren't supposed to break it but do. I use hunger command to keep afk alive and it breaks afk when cooking doesn't. Not sure what command I'm going to end up using as universal keepalive for the soundpack, unless keepalive is implemented server side or something. It's way too easy for my net to stop loving me.:(
To clarify on this one, the commands cook and dive are active character actions but do not break afk status, and the ping command, which I believe is the preferred keep alive command, does break afk status and probably should not.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Bean wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:55 pm Without any disrespect, I got to say that this is a bit of a risky idea if it would be implemented. As somebody that comes from a few MUDs that did this, The only thing that seems to happen was that cliques formed much more quickly. It essentially had the problems of chat, but localized to a small, usually tight group. Once people know that others they might not think too highly of our not in the group, talking smack becomes a part of the chatter, and that just tended to breed animosity from my experience. Also, just like chat, plenty of people would actually get distracted from the world if Conversation started flowing ooc.

Essentially, it becomes an unmoderated exclusive group that tends to distract and detract from the experience.
This is more or less the conclusion we (game staff) ended up with when we discussed the possibility of group tells. It would especially go counter to our our goal of trying to keep people in the zone with their characters when in the game instead of being constantly distracted by OOC chatter, which is a big part of the reason for moving the #GAME channel outside the game itself.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

It would especially go counter to our our goal of trying to keep people in the zone with their characters when in the game instead of being constantly distracted by OOC chatter
That's true. And I did ignore that goal when I made the suggestion.

To Bean's point, I don't necessarily agree that migrating OOC communication outside of the game is less risky in regards to developing cliques.

If cliques are going to form, they are going to form regardless of how OOC communication occurs - although, given typical human behavior, I do agree that it is a fair assumption that less people will participate in OOC communication due to the additional hurdle of having to use an outside resource.

When it comes to cliques, cultivating a healthy culture within the game and community that opposes their formation is key - and that said, I recognize that this is exactly the goal you are going for with a change of this sort.

Also, I should have known you have already considered group tells.

Feel free to quote Anakin Skywalker to me, "YoU unDeRestImatE mY PoooOoweeRr!"
Prism

Post by Prism »

So, now that we've had some time with the new communication standards in place, I wanted to probe the community and see how people have generally been feeling about the game post chat changes.

Personally? I've been really, really enjoying the difference. I'm much more immersed in what i'm Doing, I'm much more actively invested in the things that are going on in character in general, and I feel like I've been able to really see people's roleplay thrive as a result-- even when i'm not directly involved in that RP myself. Any OOC messaging I've felt was needed was easily handled through a tell or two (spelling errors that were completely incomprehensible, etc.) and my focus during Rp interactions has been way more potently felt. (On my part, at least.)

I don't know, it just seems a much more upbeat vibe. There were times that when #Game was accessible client-side that it would sort of bring you down, or distract from things that were going on as previously mentioned in this thread, and now, especially with the lack of those distractions, you can really see how felt they were pre-chat changes by comparison.

That said-- it was mentioned that there was a possibility of the #game channel being accessible from the account screen post-account login, but pre-character login. which I think still could be nice for some people who'd like to take a moment and chat before they dive in-character. I certtainly don't think there's any rush in implementation of this feature, but feedback on it's consideration was worth putting forward, as mentioned by some other players.

TLDR: I like the changes. I'm comfortable with these changes. Consideration of making the #game channel accessible on the account screen post account login but pre character login is a cool idea, too. At least I think so.

Thank ya'll for taking the time to read my rambling though. Very interested in how others feel about the game post chat change, as well.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

I am enjoying the change. The experience has felt less like a perpetual pre-game lobby, and I have found myself more likely to break free of my eremitism to interact with others in-character.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Maina

Post by Maina »

I am very pleased with this change, though that's maybe obvious from advocating it.

I would like to suggest another update to help in OOC separation:

Remove the log-in messages. It is presently too obvious when you see an account log on then immediately say hello or pulse on ESP. I feel like, to avoid people treating characters differently by knowing I am playing them, I have to wait a while before roleplaying to avoid people piecing together who I'm playing.

If not removing entirely, at least giving the option to not announce your logins somehow.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Maina wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:25 am I am very pleased with this change, though that's maybe obvious from advocating it.

Remove the log-in messages. It is presently too obvious when you see an account log on then immediately say hello or pulse on ESP. I feel like, to avoid people treating characters differently by knowing I am playing them, I have to wait a while before roleplaying to avoid people piecing together who I'm playing.

If not removing entirely, at least giving the option to not announce your logins somehow.
Seconded. Sometimes I feel like a creeper being able to see that so-and-so just logged on, but they didn't pulse so I don't REALLY know, do I? And then there are times you just want to fly under the radar yourself. I'd much prefer a way to turn off login messages.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Delphine wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:36 am Seconded. Sometimes I feel like a creeper being able to see that so-and-so just logged on, but they didn't pulse so I don't REALLY know, do I? And then there are times you just want to fly under the radar yourself. I'd much prefer a way to turn off login messages.
So, in good news, you can stop seeing login messages, just use channels who to disable seeing them. Maina's suggestion is being able to opt out of being seen, which there isn't currently an option for. My feelings on that one is that people who are going to care are going to try to figure stuff out - it's a weird meta-game but people who want to play it will play it whether it is hard or easy. I've found I'm happier playing when I stop worrying about how others play and just find my jam.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

nobody wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:47 am
Delphine wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:36 am Seconded. Sometimes I feel like a creeper being able to see that so-and-so just logged on, but they didn't pulse so I don't REALLY know, do I? And then there are times you just want to fly under the radar yourself. I'd much prefer a way to turn off login messages.
So, in good news, you can stop seeing login messages, just use channels who to disable seeing them. Maina's suggestion is being able to opt out of being seen, which there isn't currently an option for. My feelings on that one is that people who are going to care are going to try to figure stuff out - it's a weird meta-game but people who want to play it will play it whether it is hard or easy. I've found I'm happier playing when I stop worrying about how others play and just find my jam.
That's what I meant: turn off login messages for yourself, as in, if you don't want for others to see you login, you can flag that as an option. And if you don't care, no big. Leave them on.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

Maina

Post by Maina »

Maina wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:25 am I am very pleased with this change, though that's maybe obvious from advocating it.

Rias asked for this to be bumped when I brought it up in VC. I can also make a new thread if necessary!

Some people like the log-in messages, so we discussed a compromise of being able to turn off notifying other players when you log in/out rather than removing all log in/out messages.