Possibly getting rid of the experience bucket

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Possibly getting rid of the experience bucket

Post by Rias »

I'm considering getting rid of the experience bucket thing, which can be confusing to people who don't already have experience (no pun intended) with that kind of system. Instead, experience would be earned immediately toward next level, and in place of the bucket, there'd be another character stat level that goes up as you get more experience in a short amount of time, lessening how much experience you get as that stat gets higher. And the stat goes down on its own over time.

So pretty much the same effect, except experience is earned immediately instead of going into the bucket, and THEN toward your next level over time. I think it'll still achieve the same desired end, while being much less confusing. I might be overlooking something though.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Spearman

Re: Possibly getting rid of the experience bucket

Post by Spearman »

Sounds just as confusing to me; granted, I have a lot of experience with the "bucket" thing.
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

I think I would like that better.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I think this would feel a little bit more immediately rewarding, but overall, I'm pretty ambivalent to either system.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

After further consideration, I've decided to keep the bucket. I do like the effect it has where you can do your experience-gaining activities to fill it up, then go do other things while it trickles into your lifetime experience over time.

However, there are no longer diminishing returns to filling the bucket as the bucket gets fuller. An activity that grants you 35 experience will put 35 into your bucket, whether it's at 0% or 99%.

And on that last note, it -is- possible for the bucket to fill over 100%, but once at or over 100% no more experience will go into it. So if it's 99% full, your next experience-granting activity might overfill it. This is not a bug.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO