Multi-Componenet Item Squash

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Multi-Componenet Item Squash

Post by Rias »

Originally, multi-component items maintained each major component as an individual item in the database. This was neat and afforded some great conveniences from the development side of things, but exacerbated item bloat considerably. For instance: Every arrow in the game meant the database had to store an arrowhead, an arrow stave, and arrow fletching separately. Yuck.

I just pushed a code update that squashes all the additional components down into the single primary item. All the individual item data is kept though, so it *shouldn't* seem like anything is different to players. The conversion went surprisingly smoothly on my test server, which always leaves me a little worried because I end up wondering if I just didn't account for whatever might still end up causing a problem. But here's hoping it'll just be nice and smooth! Please be extra vigilant for weirdness and wonkiness with multi-component items, and report bugs with the BUG command.

This took the database item count down by quite a lot and will mean a less rapid rate of item bloat going forward, so I am very happy right now. On to the next item bloat/server performance project!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO