Considerate Antagonism, Theft, Etc.

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Prism

Re: Considerate Antagonism, Theft, Etc.

Post by Prism »

Howdy all!

So, I'm not a thief here-- but I was a pretty noteworthy one on clok, and I wanted to make a few specific comments.

Thievery by it's nature is going to cause conflict. But it's all in the execution. So, here's a few notes from a former thief, and how I chose to go about things in certain situations. This isn't a guide by any means, just what I did in particular, and how I managed to have the best experience as one as I've ever had.

-Don't steal for the sake of theft: Though not all footpads are the same, most have an angle in mind. Very seldom have I encountered individuals who maintain frequent success as thieves with rampant cleptomania in their minds. Steal with a purpose. Whether it's a need for something, a desire to make an impression, to make a few riln, or to offer a service for someone else-- Don't just steal it because it's shiny. Don't just steal it because it's the perfect oppurtunity. Steal it because you know what you're going to do with it after you do so.

-Don't just steal to see what's hiding inside someone's sheath/pouch/backpack: Self-explanatory. This is in poor form, really. I mean there's risk doing so, sure. So take on the risk if you really want to do that. But in my opinion, you should only be attempting to steal if you already know what you're trying to steal. Not out of curiosity if someone has anything good in their pockets.

-Consider your mark carefully: Success isn't 100%. Consider how your mark will react if you're caught. Consider how they'll react to catching you stealing the item in question. Consider whether they'll catch you at all-- their habits, their activities, the people they regularly associate with. Remember that there are always consequences to your actions, whether you're caught or not, and consider that you may be making your life more difficult by taking something that would otherwise have been better passed up.

-Have an escape plan in mind: Self-explanatory. This goes double for your back-up plan. What do you do if you get caught? What do you do if you get caught in a very specific way? What do you do if one person catches you but your mark doesn't? Consider these things carefully.

-Don't sh*t where you eat: Self explanatory, though a bit difficult at current. If you like where you live, don't ruin your chances of living their by stealing off of the locals. Do it outside of your house, outside of town. This goes with "watch your mark". If you want the oppurtunity to open itself up, watch them, listen to them. Not everyone stays in town forever-- and if they do? There are oppurtunities within that framework, as well. But it's risky. Just remember. We don't poop on the table. We eat there.

-Be honorable: If you steal something personal, or sentimental, or something that is obviously very, very cared about, consider an angle of how it can be returned to it's original owner for your financial gain. (Or otherwise-- any gain is gain.) As much as you might want that shiny for yourself, someone else probably loves it a lot more than you do. Play into that love-- make it your profit. Send an anonymous letter, leave a note in their pocket with instructions. Arrange a sketchy meeting in your local cemetary for proposed exchange of goods-- the oppurtunities are endless.

-Make it interesting: Taking the safest route is often the most boring, unsatisfying methodology-- obviously you want to ensure your own success as much as possible, but doing so at the expense of life's wild wonder and chance is certainly no fun for anyone involved. Half the fun of being a thief is the risk of being caught-- if there's no risk, it's almost as if there's no reward. I'm not saying hamstring yourself on purpose-- but I am saying don't always play it safe. Sometimes, risk/reward behavior, especially in regard to thievery, generates some insanely interesting RP situations. It might be safer to go for the pull attempt while they're knocked down, surrounded by infested, hood on their face, dirt in their eyes, half-asleep and screaming. But it's certainly a lot more suspenseful, dramatic, and thrilling (for all involved) to make that attempt around the campfire after the fact while all of their friends are too busy watching their drinks and reciting racey couplets.

Those are just my thoughts though-- don't sue me! I'm not trying to tell anyone how to play. I just wanted to chime in and talk about how I did in particular. Happy to answer any questions anyone has for me regarding such, as well. Or antagonism in general.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Handcart theft notwithstanding (since I think everybody agrees that it isn't especially interesting or fun as it currently stands), the current motley of thief players are all excellent at apparently taking losses, if recent events in-game that happened earlier today are any indication.

I wanted to mention that since most of the problem theft players in other games don't really have that trait at all, which gives me hope for the ones we have right now.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Ephemeralis wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:25 pm the current motley of thief players are all excellent at apparently taking losses
I have to agree. It can be tough to play a frequent lawbreaker as one will inevitably get caught eventually, so it's always nice to see a player stick through it rather than just proclaim the jig to be up and ditch the character. It creates some interesting story and growth for all involved, I think. It's like the philosophy of Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld and those types of games, where you don't just quit and reload when something bad happens. The hard times and tragedies and working to bounce back are part of the story, and part of the fun.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO