Regarding Builders

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rias
DEV

Regarding Builders

Post by Rias »

We've gotten a good number of builder applications the past few months. As I've told some, the holiday season tends to be the busiest time of the year for me - at work, at home, and in-game. Sorry about taking so long to get back to anyone!

At the moment I'm having a time just keeping up with my GMs, let alone a team of builders, so I'm currently re-thinking how the whole builder role might work. It'll probably less an ongoing role (quotas were never enforced anyway) and more a volunteer-as-you-think-of-stuff sort of situation. Since the good old days many years ago in CLOK there's always been the general phenomenon where a builder comes on, they get set up with a builder account, they're given the rules and training on in-game building tools, they make a few rooms, and then they sort of peter out. The turnover can be pretty rough, so I'm thinking instead - at least for the time being - builders will just write up their room descriptions, item descriptions, etc. and email them in for a GM to then slap together in-game when the area concept and descriptions are complete. I'm currently wrangling someone into agreeing to be an initial concept considerer, proofreader, and nitpicker for me, so that can help cut down on stuff digging too much into the time I should be spending on development work and events and such.

We have our builder Trello board (that I often neglect and need to see if I can get said person I'm wrangling to take some charge over it). That can be used for putting up ideas and divvying out tasks and generally keeping all the building stuff somewhat organized. Most people seem to either already know Trello, or are able to pick it up easily and quickly.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Leopard

Re: Regarding Builders

Post by Leopard »

Hi there! I wanted to start with saying thank you for everything you do! This time of the year can be crazy with the holidays and life in general, so I totally get it! Regarding builders, I have a few suggestions you can think over as well to maybe and hopefully make things a bit easier for you! Rather than having people send emails or use a board and have a GM look over the items, you could find or promote a GM willing to take on the task of head-builder. This person would be in charge of the builder team and everything that comes along with it. This would mean less time you have to manage builders, and the access not getting taken away from the builder as well. I will say from a personal standpoint, I like to look over and see my completed work in the game how it is meant to look before it is released to players rather than drafting everything up in a message or board for someone else to create. I feel like this may help in the long run if you had someone to manage builders as this person could pass along info to you as needed without you having to always be in the day to day stuff, as it were. Please don't think I'm saying the ideas suggested were bad or anything like that, I am just providing my own thoughts and suggestions in hopes of helping the process become better for everyone!
Lukepop

Re: Regarding Builders

Post by Lukepop »

Hi, you mentioned a Trello board for builders that involves the work on different areas and what might be requested by the team. Since Builders aren't really a role now, would it be possible for that board to be made publicly visible if not editable? Thank you very much.