Merchant customization ideas

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

Merchant customization ideas

Post by Teri »

Soo I was pondering this because a lot of people have questions or ideas for the merchants to customize but aren't really sure what to do. I'm curious for those who did customizations if they would be willing to post completed ones here for people to consider. Another idea would be for people mulling over future ones to post them here if they are interested having others take a second look.
Ones I have seen were gems encrusting metal objects, hoods being stitched onto cloaks, I personally got an ash haft swapped onto one of my javelins, had scales engraved onto a spear, have a knife with crushed pearlescent shell inlay handle, and an embroidered lockpick kit where I asked for lockpick to be removed from the short description so I would stop trying to pick it haha. I didn't come up with the kit description myself, but consider there is the short and the long description on your items.

You carefully examine a fishscale-embroidered soft sapphire leather kit (open)
The kit is made of soft leather that has been lined with a softer velvet and twice-folded and
secured with a gold clasp to keep small contents from slipping out of it. The front flap has been
embroidered with scattered clusters of royal-blue fish scales, outlined in golden thread. Scattered
across the scales are various tear-drop blue sapphires, looking like splashes of water. Inside the
pouch, several small leather loops have been sewn into the velvet, able to hold several small items
securely. A pair of thick leather straps make it easy to wear on a belt.
This item is registered to you.
It is open.
It is a small item, mainly made of leather.
It can be worn on a belt.
It is a container that can hold items of a size up to small, with a capacity of 15.
It is possible to close and open this container.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Karjus

Re: Merchant customization ideas

Post by Karjus »

A towering black destrier: A hulking brute of a beast, this stallion towers above all others of his kind with his withers rising higher than even most Giganti. A dull black coat is marred by a network of hairless scars across his heavily muscled form, with a particularly expansive one on his right flank where the flesh sinks in, puckered and hollowed, evidence of a long-ago scuffle with some fanged creature. On both his shoulders, mixed in among the marks of hardship, are obscure runes that appear to have been branded in a series of geometric patterns. Despite all this, the dark waves of his mane show a healthy and well-cared for sheen that is matched by his long tail.

It needs changing a little because it is a copy/paste of an old one for me but there is my horse.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Don't steal ideas. If you need help, please DM me. I'm happy to design something that is tailored for your character and original. =)

You take a closer look at a fine ash-rubbed whorled iron spear (keen-edged) that you are holding ...
Ecru white aspen wood forms the tall, polished haft of the spear. Intricate carvings of abstract lines, geometric shapes and the waxing and waning of the moon cover the surface. Depth is added to the carvings through a heavy coat of ash rubbed into the grooves. A spiral of whorled iron caps the top before narrowing into a keen-edged tip. A length of twilight purple sinew wraps around the mid-point to serve as a grip. One piece of sinew falls free ending in a long black raven feather capped with pearlescent shell beads.
It is comprised of the following major components:
a fine iron spear head (keen-edged)
a fine aspen pole
It has the following minor components:
a copper rivet (x2)

You take a closer look at a tooled ebon leather doctor kit labeled "Thorne" (closed) that you are wearing ...
Glossy black leather is tooled with a repeating rose vine design. The elegant sprawl of vines is covered with fully opened blooms that reveal a wash of vivid blood red. Smaller, unopened buds retain the natural dark stain within the hide. Polished silver thorn-shaped stays reinforce the bottom and line of the opening of the kit. A carved piece of rose quartz shard shaped like a perfect, curled petal is affixed to a hinge clasp that allows the kit to be secured.

a structured gabardine wool dress dyed in gradient viridian hues

a set of glazed enamel thorns in black and viridian hues melded around a gray crystal (opaque).
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

A few characters pooled their riln together to win the merchant voucher at the Octum festival. I won't name any names - those players can speak up in this thread if they like. Dylan contributed, and all he wants modified is his pipe. I'm still mulling over the exact design, but I thought I'd leave a note on the boards in this particular thread because I'll be gone until tomorrow, and we're all on at differing times, and working out who gets what and what those things will be might take some OOC discussion to avoid confusion, and we'll likely need help with those designs.

Thanks to the staff for running these events and for being patient with us!
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Short Description: a jolly-carved briarwood smoking-pipe

Long Description: The bowl of this dark-brown, varnished wooden pipe has been shaped to resemble a round, fat face with puffy cheeks, a bulbous nose, and closed eyes; in fact, the figure is in the midst of laughter, his lips parted in an easygoing smile. When the pipe is lit, smoke curls from behind the figure's wrinkled brow, as if his jovial thoughts might rise even to the heavens.
saladbowl

Post by saladbowl »

Fellborn (Event Staff): Admittedly, only a few people have posted so far. But if people have alterations they've done that they particularly enjoy, please do share them. Be an inspiration, and all that. I'd rah rah, but I'm not that sort of person.

You take a closer look at a blue-on-gold armorial surcoat in the area ...
A calf-length outer garment, often used to identify knights in battle. The pristine wool is dyed in blue and gold quarters featuring painstakingly detailed heraldic motifs. The blue sections hold three sheaves of wheat bundled by crimson. The gold features a white crane on one foot surrounded by small red lions in striding poses. Copper-gilt thread outlines the emblems and establishes wavy borders between quarters.
Old school canvas, new school paint. Here's the displayed arms. Note that this item has had a noun change as part of very special circumstance and staff generosity: historically knight's surcoats predate tabards by around 400 years, so here's hoping the Wyrvardn have them for sale. Thanks to everyone who helped with the final edits!
You take a closer look at a sun-bearing leather scabbard that you are wearing ...
A leather sword sheath that can be attached to a belt. Threaded just below the locket is a copper-gilt sun, small enough to evade most notice.
Just as you can spend tons of time poring over surviving tabards, referencing different styles of surcoats depicted in illustrations and studying what amounts to a dead science in free time (which ended up being super fun), sometimes it's best to keep it simple and communicated point concise. For this I searched up 'anatomy of a scabbard' to find out what the top part is called, then wrote the rest in under a minute.
You take a closer look at a fine iron-hilted engraved riversteel longsword (keen-edged) that is in a sun-bearing leather scabbard ...
A sword with a long, straight blade, wide crossguard, and a grip long enough to accommodate two hands if desired. The blade is relatively broad at its base, tapering to a strong point and featuring a pronounced central ridge. Carefully engraved from the straight crossguard down to the pommel is a bustling riverside town, the inhabitants' river winding through the hilt and into the fuller.
Part of this description was pretty much lifted 1:1 from part of a featured article on myArmoury. If you're writing about - or are generally interested in - weapons and armor and historical stuff its an invaluable resource. Here's a video discussing techniques for decorating plate armor, most of which apply to other metal items. I learned engraving and etching are different things. Ian's channel is awesome, and his videos have all sorts of goodness like weighing each component of his armor, mobility tests, and in-depth analysis of different helmet designs through time.

Remember that doing lots of research like this is optional, COGG a kitchen sink fantasy setting where almost anything goes. And be prepared with your short description and long description for staff running alterations. They won't write for you!
saladbowl

Post by saladbowl »

You take a closer look at a weathered leather portfolio that is on a small round pine table ...
Repaired battle damages of dubious origin saturate the portfolio's dark leather casing. Well-kept pyrography of an ant, crane, fox and jellyfish in marching order lay across the spine. Inside the portfolio are pinned reference sheets regarding knights, tactics of war and symbology. A blue ribbon assists in organizing contents.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Apologies for the Thread Necromancy, but I was urged to post my ideas after I mentioned I spend time writing down random restring ideas, so here's the two I've come up with so far. Any criticisms of my writing style or the like is appreciated. also note being blind means I don't actually know what a lot of these things are...supposed to look like, so I appreciate being able to run things by people like this:

The first I had was a pendant idea. Originally this was just going to be a jewelry accessory, but I loved the idea far too much:
A [color] Crystal Set on a Long Silver Chain studded with rubies: A beautiful chain of tiny, interlocked silver links, long enough to end low on the chest. Every six inches or so along the chain is set a small, bright ruby. The chain ends in a large [color] crystal, through which light seems to refract in odd moats of color.

I'd like it to be longer, with more detail on how flashy it is and how it catches the light, but my experience with expensive jewelry is admittedly limited.

The second one I actually just decided I didn't like my writing for enough to post here, so I'll ask for help here. I want to restring a dagger as affectively a Kukri. First thing...Kukris are really, really big, they're basically machetes, so it can easily be a scaled down version, I think 10 to 12 inches would still count as a dagger? Anyway, I don't want a knife for skinning, or eating, or anything, though Maya very likely will use it for those things anyway. I'd also like it to have a ruby set into the pommel, if at all possible.
Let me know any thoughts or ideas you all have, or just tell me my ideas are reddiculous and not possible, either one works. I'll probably post more ideas here, as well.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Teri

Post by Teri »

I tend to phrase things like this for the customizations, short description with the text for it, then long description. I either send a tell, whisper or if prepared write it in a letter to hand to the merchant, making it obvious part is the short, the second the long. I took go at writing one for your necklace below.

Short description: A ruby strung silver necklace trailing a [color] crystal pendant
Long description: A beautiful chain necklace made of tiny, interlocking hammered silver links interspersed with small, bright rubies. The eye-catching focus of the necklace is a drop chain extending from the middle that ends low on the chest, holding a [color] crystal reflecting motes of light.

Here is a link to merchant customization rules viewtopic.php?f=33&t=860&p=4271&hilit=merchant#p4271
As far as weapons you can't create an entirely different weapon type, only add things to an existing one. I've seen images inscribed on weapons, or gems added to pommels, but can't recall much beyond that.

I'll attempt to add some my other items sooner or later. All of mine were written with others helping and fine tuning them, or sometimes written entirely by them. A friend helped me with the short description on attempting your necklace, hah.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
darkangel

Post by darkangel »

Seeing this thread pop up reminded me of a few ideas I’d wanted to put out there, any feedback, criticism, and suggestions much appreciated.
Character 1
1. Short desc: An intricately crafted cobalt and Silber locket displaying a … color crystal.
Long desc: of masterful craftsmanship, the interlinked chain of icy-blue cobalt interspersed with links of the palest silver make the intricate heirloom stand out. Finely molded, each forth link cradles a carnation, the pink and scarlet blooms centered by a small teardrop ruby. A locket of intricate design hangs between 2 carnations, the frosted glass of the piece displaying 2 hazy shadows, with a … color crystal stark against the indistinguishable forms.
2. Short desc: a steel dagger rapped in ebony tendrils.
Long desc: appearing as if rapped in shadow, the hilt and cross guard of the dagger are intricately etched with whirling, twisting tendrils. With only a finely faceted opal in the shape of a carnation standing out against the blade.
3. A thorn rapped steel rapier etched with roses.
Long desc: etched upon the hilt and cross guard of the rapier, a series of gilded thorns rap around the stems of delicately engraved roses, the pattern extending just above the blade. Inset within the pommel, a finely facetted ruby catches the eye.
Character 2
1. Short desc: A delicate white-gold lariat cradling a bunny with a … color crystal in its mouth.
Long desc: intricately shaped links of white-gold hammered into leaves form a long silver lariat. Just above the heart of the wearer, hangs a tiny statuette of a prancing bunny, A …. Color crystal in its mouth.
2. Short desc: a Wechuge leather breastplate etched with an armored bunny wielding a hammer.
Formed from hardened Wechuge leather, this finely crafted breastplate features a detailed visage of an armored bunny etched in snowy-white thread. Expert craftsmanship portray its perked ears, while 2 faceted orbs of pink jade form its eyes. Clutched between the bunny’s paws is a Warhammer, the weapon raised in challenge.
3. Short desc: A steel pole hammer engraved with menacing bunnies.
Long desc: along the shaft, the haft of this hammer has been carved with etchings of several bunnies interspersed with tiny impressions of orbs of jade resembling clusters of hidden eyes. The head of the hammer is crowned with a regal looking bunny in armor, a hammer proudly raised above its head.