Tattoo Queries?

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Zombilicious

Tattoo Queries?

Post by Zombilicious »

With the possible upcoming tattoo merchant, I had some questions so I could be prepared with designs.

Will they be hidden under clothing layers or always visible?
How much detail will we be able to put into them?
Will they be colorable like Druid tattoos are when shown in the description?
How many tattoos can we get!
:verungnr_tentacles: :vodr_trident:
Rias
DEV

Re: Tattoo Queries?

Post by Rias »

Zombilicious wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:20 am With the possible upcoming tattoo merchant, I had some questions so I could be prepared with designs.
Q: Will they be hidden under clothing layers or always visible?
A: Clothing will hide them. The SHOW command can be used to show them to others even when covered though, assuming your character temporarily moves their clothing aside enough to show off the tattoo without actually removing the clothing piece.

Q: How much detail will we be able to put into them?
A: Like items, each tattoo will require a short description, but can optionally have a long description as well for when people want to take a closer look, or you want to SHOW it to someone.

Q: Will they be colorable like Druid tattoos are when shown in the description?
A: If you mean the ANSI colored text, then no. If you mean the description of the tattoo textually mentioning different colors (colored inks), then yes.

Q: How many tattoos can we get!
A: There's no overall tattoo cap, but for custom tattoos provided by a GM-controlled NPC, as usual assume one per appearance of that NPC. The GM can always decide to do more for people if there's time after everyone has had a turn, so if everyone shows up with exactly what they want in a nice copy-paste-able format, the tattooer will be more likely to have that extra time! So everyone be like Zombi and start getting your ideas ready now!

Q that wasn't asked by Zombi: Will there only be tattoos available when the GM-run NPC is around?
A to the Q that Zombi didn't ask: No, there will be some standard "off the shelf" tattoos that people can buy as well from the shop even when the NPC custom tattoo artist isn't around. I'm hoping to have a special Fasa-only area where Fasa characters can grab their tribal tattoo. These "off-the-shelf" standard tattoos can always be customized later when an NPC is around offering that service.

Another Q that Zombi didn't ask: Do we need to assume that these tattoos are newly-acquired at this merchant, and not ones from our past?
A: No, part of the service will be described as something along the lines of making existing tattoos more prominent or noticeable. This way, while mechanically getting the tattoo is new, the characters can be free to say they've had it all along and were just having it spruced up a little or whatever. So you could come to this merchant, get a tattoo, and still claim that the tattoo you just got is one that your character has actually had for many years or whatever appropriate history you prefer.

Yet another non-Zombi Q: Do they have to be specifically tattoos?
A: No, we could also make things like birth marks or scars or brands or whatnot.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Maina

Post by Maina »

Rias wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:36 pm Q that wasn't asked by Zombi: Will there only be tattoos available when the GM-run NPC is around?
A to the Q that Zombi didn't ask: No, there will be some standard "off the shelf" tattoos that people can buy as well from the shop even when the NPC custom tattoo artist isn't around. I'm hoping to have a special Fasa-only area where Fasa characters can grab their tribal tattoo. These "off-the-shelf" standard tattoos can always be customized later when an NPC is around offering that service.
Could a similar thing be done for Faewyr and off-the-shelf Ythwir brands? If not, I'm happy to try to catch the GM for it.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Good call, I'll be sure to include one!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

On the vaguely related subject of tattoos since you mentioned Fasa tribal tattoos, do Huecatn have any particular tattoo culture at all?
Teri

Post by Teri »

Chucking this in from the voicechat notes from the past evenin, somewhat overlaps with answers here already.

Q: My rambling tattoo question about specifics
A: Specifics: you will have to choose a spot of a single hit location. Clothing that you wear cover that hit location will cover the tattoo.
The one weird one is a face tattoo doesn’t show through a hat and he would like to change the mechanics so it does. One area only. Could be weird if it spans multiple hit areas unless he reworks it someday
Follow up: what about a tattoo spanning shoulder, arm and then hand.
Different areas can be done multiples times if it is suppose to look different each spot. Tattoos transitioning from like the face to neck or chest will be separate tattoo areas and multiple visits with the merchant if I understood correctly.
He will try to bring the merchant more often to give people the chance for the spanning tattoos, or depending on how things go, get back in line. I said the tattoos would be in very high demand and he was pleased and said good, spend your riln!

Q Tattoo-related question: is there anything to be said about the use and perception of tattoos outside of the cultures that have specific meanings (Faewyr brands, Fasa clans, druid bond-tattoos)?

A: Not really. Viali could be uppity about non members wearing them but not really issues about it.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time