On ESP Conflict, and how ESP will function as things develop

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

Re: On ESP Conflict, and how ESP will function as things develop

Post by Teri »

I found the policing of other people's rp very frustrating in recent times, especially as the policing flip flopped from being against someone's else ooc preferences up until it came to their own, and then they were okay with enforcing their ooc expectations on others. I think honest discussion of preferences can be fruitful and I attempt to remember when someone has commented on certain things, and wouldn't be opposed to someone telling me they weren't okay with my character personally doing something. We all have different ideas on approaching it, of course and it can take time to cultivate the balance being spontaneous and not.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
artus

Post by artus »

@zombie, I'm sorry for that chat message. I didn't mean to target you or anyone specifically. I just wanted to give an example by picking a random color as a center of attention, not specifically any color. But I worded the very wrong way and it came out as that. Sorry man. My fault.

Regarding the policy, honestly I don't really know how it's supposed to be worded or thought of in a way that doesn't press on people how to act and not act. I generally don't like the idea of rp police by all means. If I've done it in the past, sorry again. I'm a bit afraid to word anything at this point due to not wanting it to sound wrongg again. Will just leave it up to you guys to decide in the end. I got my point across, at least.
Rokal

Post by Rokal »

artus wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:33 pm @zombie, I'm sorry for that chat message. I didn't mean to target you or anyone specifically. I just wanted to give an example by picking a random color as a center of attention, not specifically any color. But I worded the very wrong way and it came out as that. Sorry man. My fault.

Regarding the policy, honestly I don't really know how it's supposed to be worded or thought of in a way that doesn't press on people how to act and not act. I generally don't like the idea of rp police by all means. If I've done it in the past, sorry again. I'm a bit afraid to word anything at this point due to not wanting it to sound wrongg again. Will just leave it up to you guys to decide in the end. I got my point across, at least.
Don't be afraid to speak out dude, sometimes it comes out the wrong way, all you can do is apologize and move on. People won't (or at least shouldn't) hold it against you. We're all mature players here and can move past such things. You had a genuine concern.

Everyone does, we're all part of this community and our words matter.

That said, back on topic, I personally think the ESP channels will be fine once there is range limits. Conflict is bound to happen on the game, and people can always chose to ask someone to meet up in person and talk it out and remove their ESP focus/pendant during said conversation. There are already ways around getting drowned out by others, and I don't think an ignore feature is the way to go about it, as Onasaki has said, I've seen it used to be weaponized to prevent someone from Rping on other muds and Rps.

Think of ways to encourage RP, rather than block someone out of potential RP.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Good morning,

A few thoughts.
- I like RP, and given that RP is made up by humans playing humans, there is going to be conflict. Nobody seems to be disagreeing with this.*
- Sometimes conflict can be annoying, or triggering, or whatever. And sometimes it tends to come from one person. I'm way too new to even start developing the idea of an opinion as to whether that is happening or from whom, so this is not a pointed elbow jab.
- If someone really doesn't like to hear the conflict, there are plenty of choices for them to make about the issue. They can filter out references to that color on their mud client side (not recommended and no opinion as to whether this is policy supported -- err at your risk). They can say "This is getting too much for me, I'll be at the inn." They can shut off access to the world and allow their character to be bitter about it (I do this irl, to the great delight of those around me).
- The faction division should fix a lot of the fallout of this particular question, though jury is still out on whether said fallout is a feature or a bug.

As to the question on how and whether a policy should come out of this:
- There are two ways that laws come up: because we as a society believe an ethical truth and the laws reflect that (think murder), and because those creating the laws think that it is important and hope that, by creating a law, what they view as poor behavior will be diminished (seat belts were probably the least argument-creating example I can think of, unless any of y'all are from NH). Right now, at least from ic conduct and ooc conversations, it seems like our community is fine with rp over the pendant; it would have to take some large majority to pop this issue up to policy-level. On the other hand, Rias, in his great Devy Devness, might decide that it's warranted. His game, his house, his rules.
- I personally would prefer not to see a policy, because with each policy comes an addition to the interconnected web of prevention and enforcement. I would hope that the staff can spend their time on the fun parts of gming (dreaming, coding, rping, killing players with Eldritch horrors), rather than deciding whether what someone said over the pendant was against a policy. I imagine they already have to do that, and policies already address that sort of conduct.

I like you all. This game is fun, and though the Staff's rockstar dedication has a lot (and I mean a lot -- wow do I love this game) to do with that, the community is something special too. I think it's an important conversation (so thanks Prism for creating the post), but I also think that, as the mechanics and the community and the characters begin to settle into whatever the next stage might be, things will likewise settle into a pattern.

* The reference to Nobody here means not a single person, not the loveable scamp with that username. Sorry bud!