Voicechat notes 8 Oct 2021

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
nobody

Voicechat notes 8 Oct 2021

Post by nobody »

So, very big caveat, I missed almost *all* of tonights voice chat, so instead of my normal notes, I read through the text channel to find those questions which are summarized below and hopefully people on the call earlier than I can answer what they recall and maybe add some of the voiced questions.

- Should rain disrupt diagrams drawn with anomalum chalk?
- Can GMs approve craftmarks, or is that Rias only?
- Talyn's parry defense question(s)
- Will Porto open for this Octum?
- Is defense penalty from encumbrance a flat rate or percentage of roll reduction?
- Is there in game lore about dusklamp's keep?
- Possibility of metalworked silver/gold jewelery?
- Are there any other jewelry items from attaching?
- if we have locksmithing, are we going to be able of making locks? as in, taking a container and crafting a lock to put on it?
- What do amber pearls do? What do Amber Pearls taste like?
- Do we get to choose the starter town eventually when [NotShadgard] exists or everybody starts in shad? (historically the answer to this has been that Not Shadgard will be RP to enter, at least at first)
- Q: clok/cogg differences. A: mechanical differences, some lore differences, and OOC culture differences
-- for this last one Rias elaborated that he likes the non-game related chatter in the off-topic channel, which is not accessible from inside the game but which can be reached by any of the linked third party chat platforms (discord, element/matrix, IRC). Rias enjoys bridging the chat platforms, so if you need one added so you can access off-topic, let Rias know. The game channel, which is the ooc channel accessible from within the game, is supposed to be game-related stuff most of the time so that new people's intro to the game isn't a description of what someone ate for lunch, or what book/show/other game people are really loving right now. All of those things can have a place in the community, but that place is the off-topic channel.
- The chat bridge is probably caching Discord nicks, so when people change their nick in discord, the bridge doesn't uplate. Could we have it pull live or 1/day update that cache?

I ignored most of the <thing when> questions, but of note:
- scalpels when? And
- NotShad when? (after Octum this one will be Rias' primary focus)

There was also a notable quiet side conversation (text only) about ooc fallout for ic actions, and ooc consent before ic actions that is likely worthy of its own post.
tulpa

Re: Voicechat notes 8 Oct 2021

Post by tulpa »

These are the ones I caught. I confess I couldn't get my head round Talyn's question about .. a thing to do with manipulating defense rolls, but I gather Rias will press some buttons, make some beep boops and have a think about it.

Q: Should rain disrupt diagrams drawn with anomalum chalk?
A: That's reasonable to assume. Will look at it.

Q: Can GMs approve craftmarks, or is that Rias only?
A: Not yet. It is something to be worked out and made possible.

Q: What is the schedule for Octum merchants, is that going to be posted IC or OOC? What's the method for communicating their schedules outside of the game?
A: This will vary depending on the GM running the merchant. Rias, for his part, will be posting a calendar of events on the main website, as well as a BBS post and updates on Twitter.

Q: Will Porto open for this Octum?
A: Ehh no.

Q: Is there in game lore about dusklamp's keep?
A: Yes (Tulpa: I don't remember if this was elaborated on in discussion, I don't think so).

Q: Possibility of metalworked silver/gold jewelery?
A: Yes, with time. Hilt/pommel decoration was also discussed.

Q: Are there any other jewellery items from attaching?
A: Rias will have a dig around. This came out of a discussion about shells and their uses (we can already wear them on a necklace, it seems!)

Q: When will there be bonuses for parry while using specific weapons, e.g. swords?
A: Something on the cards. Swords, quarterstaffs will give a parry bonus, although it's not yet clear if this will be a reroll or addons.

Q: What about drug use/smoking in game?
A: There will be smoking pipes. Other examples may exist at some point, but Rias doesn't really want it to become a major theme as that wouldn't be quite right for the setting.

Q: Can pruning be put in for farming, to help mitigate/fix a missed day's work?
A: Mending to make up for absences would be a cool thing. There was some discussion of what it might mean to leave a field "fallow" to allow the land to recuperate. Also falling trees/storms &c. are an attractive idea, but shouldn't just be a giant drag or long sequence of irritating disasters inflicted on players.

Q: What's the vision for high level construction?
A: Rias would like them to have more to do than just build farming structures. He dislikes the idea of freeform construction (just building whatever, wherever) which would be chaotic and messy, but he's open to ideas for new feature suggestions. There are plans already, with the faction content, to make it possible to construct/repair barricades, town walls and improve defences. These are easily managed because they're in designated places. Structure durability is something Rias wants to have, in order to make sure construction workers continue to be useful/have something to do.

Q: If we have locksmithing, are we going to be able of making locks? as in, taking a container and crafting a lock to put on it?
A: That's interesting, sure. File it under probably.

Q: Could there be introductory/hobby tasks in town for different professions, as a way of showcasing different activities, e.g. shearing, without players needing to dip/unlearn skill points into them to try them out? (Linked to Nobody's forum post about an interactive tutorial as well as Navi's post on Town Tasks.)
A: Sure, something like that could be a thing.

Q: When is thief planting going to be switched on?
A: It's a tricky one. It will be, but can't say as yet (when it's ready, basically).