August 20th Voice Chat Log

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

August 20th Voice Chat Log

Post by Teri »

Questions and answers from the recent chat in the ooc lounge. I loosely applied Q and A, but only for the first set of answers from the log and kept from commentary from the end.

Q: Kenny asks, "I'm wondering, will the gods have temples, and can we worship more then one?"

A: Rias says, "The goal is to have some kind of temple, shrine, or whatnot every major Immortal. It's certainly possible to worship more than one, though singular dedication is more likely to be noticed and responded to."

Q: Kenny asks, "Ah I see. do we get perks for worshiping?"
A: Rias says, "I've not wanted to turn it into a mechanical thing, because then we end up with Immortals being "worshipped" just to fill out a particular type of build or something. I prefer it to be done for RP, and particular dedication may eventually result in some kind of blessing or boon that has mechanical effects, but what that might be isn't known or requestable by the player character."

Rias says, "Some Immortals may be more willing than others to tempt people over with promises of power. It's still going to be a rarer thing though, rather than just a mechanical choice someone makes to get certain abilities."

Q: Kenny asks, "Cool. I was also wondering, besides powder and flint pistals, will the tech advance in the future, from powder to something else?"

A: Rias says, "Exceptions might be the Harbingers society or the Anti-Nethrim group which are backed by Immortals and may give out a couple more standardized boons, but that's more the Immortals granting those abilities to their organizations than to individuals, and doesn't necessarily translate to a particular relationship between the PC and the Immortal. Hopefully such a situation would grow into that, though."

Rias says, "We've got both flintlock guns and pneumatic guns. I hadn't planned on anything further."

Q: Bonehead asks, "So, just from.tbe brief blurb I have read regarding Hesutu, he doesn't seem, as described on the wiki, a bad immortal. I've heard he is though. Why would some people consider him an evil entity?"

A: Rias says, "It should be noted that pages about the six new Immortals were written by a player, not staff. They're generally quite good, but don't necessarily have all the information. Hesutu has a bad reputation for his association with diseases, decay, and death, and having more of an interest in endings than beginnings. Endings are often resisted, and so Hesutu finds it necessary to weigh in more often on that side of things."

Rias says, "Addendum: The articles were written by a player based on information provided by myself on the BBS. The weren't just made up."

Q: Bonehead asks, "Ahh, I see. My other question isn't as crazy. How long has the Dominion been a political/Military force that survivors in the Lost Lands might have known about?"

A: Rias: The dominion is a quite recent development. Many attribute much of their early success to this: it happened fairly suddenly that they started absorbing other survivor settlements. Nobody knew to be worried about it at first, thinking these people are just coming in to help them survive, not realizing they are being assimilated into a larger highly authoritarian force that nobody had heard of before

Q: Belladana: Are going to see tattoos and if we would have the option for religious ones.

A: Rias exclaims, "Yep, I was just playing with tattoos yesterday when I was
updating the custom ordering system. Religious ones, sure!"

Belladana beams happily at Rias!

Rias says, "At the risk of blinding everyone here."

Rias takes off a brown-and-white tartan flannel overshirt.

Rias takes off a burnt-orange loose rimeveil shirt.

Rias says, "If you LOOK at me you can see my tattoos now."

look rias
You see a tall lanky brown-haired adult man with fair skin and blue-gray eyes, whom you know as
Rias.
He is about six feet tall and appears to be in the prime of life. He has shoulder-length straight
brown hair tied back in a ponytail, squinty blue-gray eyes, and a short beard and thin moustache.
His skin is fair and build is lanky.
Deep green curving druidic markings have been tattooed all over his exposed skin.
No obvious wounds or maladies.
He has the following visible skin markings:
left arm: a coiled snake tattoo
abdomen: a generic tattoo
He is holding a brown-and-white tartan flannel overshirt in his right hand and a burnt-orange loose
rimeveil shirt in his left hand.
He is wearing some horn-rimmed rectangular optics, a superduper OOC satchel (closed), a miniature
spiral galaxy (open), some loose blue denim pants bound by a leather belt (with a copper belt haft-
ring carrying a nerf bat attached), and some barkcloth bast shoes.

Rias says, "It's been worded as "skin markings" to also potentially accommodate things like scars or
birthmarks or whatnot."

Rias puts on a burnt-orange loose rimeveil shirt.

Rias puts on a brown-and-white tartan flannel overshirt.

Q: Belladana asks, "How many will we be able to get at once?"

Belladana says, "Or will it only be one."

A: Rias says, "There's no limit at the moment."

Rias says, "They have to be placed on one of your body locations, same as the combat hit locations,
and clothing covers them up."

Q: Belladana asks, "Last question. will we be able to look at the markings like other custom things we
get?"

A: Rias says, "So it's slightly limited in that you can't have, say, a single tattoo going from your
hand, up your arm, and down your torso or something."

Belladana pouts at Rias.

Rias says, "They're not currently look-at-able for additional detail, but that's planned."

Belladana says, "Kay."

Q: Darkangel says (muffled by a bandana-mask), "Sorry if it sounds like a strange question, But, would
it be possible for player characters to eventually get a particular job in a certain faction? e.g.
my character hopes to end up as a banker for the mistveil dominion."

A: Rias says, "I don't know that it would happen officially, as I don't think it's feasible to code in
mechanics for all the mundane jobs in the land. Handling of others' money and storage items could
get particularly dicey in the banker scenario. It might be more something to pursue as RP and
perhaps it could be eventually supported by NPCs through RP and such more as just a background fact
about a character."

Q: Darkangel asks (muffled by a bandana-mask), "Also, would dirty tricks be introduced in the future?"

Rias says, "Did you have some specific dirty tricks in mind? We've got Dirtkick, and a few others
have been suggested like the ever-popular groinkick."

A: Rias says, "But in general: Yes, the plan is to add plenty of additional dirty tricks, particularly
to fill out the repertoire of Marauders and Rogues."

Q: Darkangel asks (muffled by a bandana-mask), "Hamstring, eyegouge, footstomp. I'm just hoping for a reliable way to play a coward. on that note, planting items on targets doesn't work?"

A: Rias says, "Yeah, planting items has come up quite often. It's on the list, but it's been a lower
priority."

Rias says, "And those others are all great candidates for the Dirty Trick List."

Q: Vaelin says, "I'm just curious about the monuments in the halls of remembrance... will they be
statues, plaques, stone tablets or? I was not sure what to request ic so I sorta just threw in save
the kitchen sink."

A: Rias says, "They don't necessarily all have to be the same thing, but they're all going ot be pretty
small. No life-sized statues or tall obelisks or anything like that. Rather, stuff that can be
fitted into niches in the walls. They'll have a tablet/plaque/etc. for the person's name at the very
least, and additional words can be requested, but no novels. I should probably come up with some
standardized options and rules."

Rias says, "And of course the little items like you see with Dylan's, how it has the miniature
Stormholdt banner, some miniatures of personal items associated with him, and that."

Q: Isolani asks, "I've got two questions. Firstly: how common are the Pale in the Dominion? Like can
you just head on down to the pub and wave to ole Pale Jimmy and Pale Bobbingham, then have a nice
beer with Pale Sally and it's no big deal? Or are they very rare and typically only seen as
bodyguards or mixed in with military forces? And secondly: I'm sure this has been answered somewhere
before, but is it planned to have the ability to adjust your hair style? Tying it back, up into a
bun, letting it loose, etc?"

A: Rias says, "The Pales aren't extremely common, but they're not extremely rare either. Citizens of
Mistral Lake are likely to be familiar with them, seeing them on guard and patrol duty, and sure,
occasionally at the local tavern or fishing off the side of the town platform."

Rias says, "Ability to adjust hairstyle would be handy, for sure! Hair-adjusting items have been on
The List for a good while."

Q: You say, "The wiki article mentions Hesutu ensures life and health are balanced by entropy and
death. Does that mean they have godly influences on sicknesses, or droughts or other weather events
that could impact lives? Curious about anything regarding them. Also, I forgot how to check the
order of hands raised again for future chats."

A: Rias says, "Hesutu does appear to have influence over diseases and decay and all that. Not complete
and total control over it, as our Immortals are of the not-omnipotent variety, but he definitely
seems to have some significant mojo."

Q: You ask, "Blame bonehead for my reading 40k warhammer things, but there was a god of diseases that inspired the question. So Hesutu might not be able to start something, but maybe nudge things?"

A: Rias says, "Weather and the like, not so much direct influence, but still seems to have some ability
and/or resources to keep the cycle of the seasons going. His favorites are generally known to be
autumn and winter."

Rias says, "I'd say Hesutu can "start things" with diseases or illnesses if he wanted to."
You say, "Does Hesutu have any particular regards towards resen? They don't seem to die from the
disease, but become under the influences. Granted I don't know the lifespan of someone afflicted by
resen."

Rias says, "But Hesutu, like all the Immortals, doesn't always get exactly what he wants. He might
start a disease but the intended target(s) could potentially manage to fight it off. I still
wouldn't want to be in Hesutu's crosshairs, but just to say that he nor any of the other Immortals
are perfect in their spheres, and so they don't enjoy perfect successes or results."

Q: You say, "You noted the Khaldean's have pioneered vaccines in the recent wiki addition, so I'm sure
that throws wrenches in things."

A: Rias says, "The resen thing is usually considered more an infestation and takeover by another major
lifeform than a mere disease. Hesutu might have some influence over it, but he's generally
considered unassociated or ambivalent. I'd like to note that because Hesutu has an affinity for
diseases and the like doesn't necessarily mean that every one that occurs is by his will or under
his direction, or even noticed by him. Kind of like how Aranas is associated with lies and deceit,
but that doesn't mean that every lie or act of deception is caused, endorsed, or even noticed by
Aranas."

A: Rias says, "The concept of vaccines is still fairly new, but I think it's safe to say that some of
the more devour and zealous adherents of Hesutu find them to be worrisome and a way of getting
around the natural evolutions and endings."

Rias says, "(Er, devout adherents. Not devour.)."

Q: Vaelin asks, "How fast will the memory loss be with the veil of dreams when a faewyr steps in the
foreign land?"

A: Rias says, "Passing through the Veil of Dreams causes a very rapid memory-fogging. Most who have
experienced it would say you don't even realize it's happening until it's already happened, and it's
difficult to pinpoint any particular moment or timeframe for when it's "complete", but it certainly
happens quickly enough for it to be in effect before reaching any other landmass or anything like
that."

Rias says, "The exact boundaries of the Veil are also not known, so it's a difficult thing for
anyone to try and test."

Rias says, "I can just imagine Aphraen adjusting it every now and then, just to keep people in the
dark about it and from trying to figure out any kind of bypass or loophole in order to somehow pass
on the knowledge it's meant to keep secret."

Q: You say, "A follow up, for those passing through who are sailing, they don't choose exactly what
they forget. I'm curious how the trips are handle with wonky memories, or if the individuals who
aren't effect on trips directs things a bit."

Rias says, "Yes, that's why the voyages have those chosen favored of Aphraen who are immune, or at
least immune-enough, to guide the people back or make decisions or directions that require knowledge
forgotten by everyone else."

Q: You say, "Neat! I'm guessing Aphraen isn't going to yoink basic survival skills and sailing, but the
secrets as mentioned. I'm curious if any mundane things are forgotten, though."

A: Rias says, "Yeah, it's mostly Homeland Secrets and directions that are lost. They'll retain their
general skillsets, knowledge of their specific mission and cargo, etc. Or if their mission involves
the Homeland Secrets somehow, they'd still maintain the drive to do a specific thing even if they
don't remember exactly why."

Q: Vaelin says, "So, knowledge and news comes in, no news goes out with the veil up? I assume that's
how the faewyr keeps themselves updated with happenings in the world at least."

A: Rias says, "Generally speaking, it's a pretty effective selective filter with little in the way of
collateral damage. Aphraen did some good work with that one."

Q: Speaking to Rias, Darkangel asks (muffled by a bandana-mask), "So, the cloak is not just a cultural
conditioning?"

Rias says, "Correct. Incoming knowledge is fine, outgoing is what's affected."

Speaking to Rias, Darkangel asks (muffled by a bandana-mask), "Sorry about that, but, i was
wondering if the cloak is an actual thing, or a conditioning that the faewyr use? and, what
particular secrets does it selectively filter out?"

A: Speaking to Darkangel, Rias says, "Maybe! Is it the act of Aphraen, or is it just some really
effective cultural subconscious conditioning? Whatever it is, it's more than just people keeping
secrets really well. There's certain information I won't give to player characters about Tyr-Gwyrd
because their characters literally do not know - not just that they're keeping it secret."

Rias says, "Hah! I can't tell which secrets it filters, because nobody outside Draumfeldr knows
them, and no players have character that are on the inside."

Q: Darkangel asks (muffled by a bandana-mask), "Um, a bit out of context, but what's through that
hallway?"

Darkangel points at a hallway.

Rias says, "But its gnerally, at the least, stuff about the location and geography of Tyr-Gwyrd, as
well as some specifics about the governing and traditions of the Faewyr clans back home. They
apparently don't want all their deeper traditions known to outsiders."

Q: Rias says, "The hallway leads to the OOC Battle Arena."

Rias says, "Which I keep closed until we wrap up these meetings."

Rias asks, "I imagine it can be a little frustrating for players of Faewyr to have some of their
deeper background lore deliberately hidden, but I like to think it also lends a fun feeling of
mystery to their culture. Beyond just their homeland's location, what are they hiding, and why is it
so important to keep it hidden? Are they just really trying to keep themselves safe after the one
big historic betryal, are they extreme xenophobes, are they up to no good, are they guarding some
big secret to keep the world safe, is it actually just some weird effect of traveling between what
are actually literally different worlds and not just a separate continent?"

Rias says, "Anyway, I think we're all done with questions, so I'll turn off Conch Mode."

Speaking to Rias, Darkangel says (muffled by a bandana-mask), "For me personally, it just adds
another fun layer of mystery to the race's lore."

Speaking to Darkangel, Rias says, "I think it's fun to have that one culture that has the really
mysterious homeland that people know of, but don't really know -about-."

Rias says, "I suppose the Huecatn also qualify for that category."

Rias says, "Looks like my rambling put most everyone to sleep. But Conch Mode is disabled so
everyone can speak freely, and I've opened the hallway if anyone wants to go duke it out in the OOC
Arena."

Rias exclaims, "Thank you everyone for your questions, attendance, and interest in this game and its
world!"

Vaelin asks, "So. at least, the wiki article about the faewyr are just bits of what people in the
lost lands know?"

Darkangel says (muffled by a bandana-mask), "They do. :) i'm particular towards memory loss, though.
:) it lends a certain flexibility, if you're in a situation where you love the lore, but can't think
of a solid enough backstory."

Darkangel asks (muffled by a bandana-mask), "Also, would there be a helpfile on the Rhuidim?"

Q: Vaelin asks, "Also... this char is not undying... I'm not going to get bugged out and get killed in
the ooc arena, right?"
A: Speaking to Vaelin, Rias says, "Actual Death doesn't happen in the OOC arena, so you'll be fine."

Rias says, "Shoot. I need to grab the old Rhuidim one from CLOK and give it a once-over to make sure
there's nothing that needs to be updated."

Speaking to you, Rias exclaims, "I think I've almost decided on a course of action for my email
issues!"
(I did not actually remember to ask what that course was T_T)

Q: Vaelin asks, "Any chance we can get warhorses in arena one day?"

A: Rias says, "Arena warhorses could be fun."
Last edited by Teri on Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Rias
DEV

Re: Voicechat: Saturday August 13th 2pm MST (Post questions here)

Post by Rias »

I won't be able to make this today, I've got some family out visiting. Sorry! Maybe we'll do an in-game meeting tomorrow instead.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Re: Voicechat: Saturday August 20th 2pm MST (Post questions here)

Post by Teri »

(I had to resist a Hesutu heat death of the universe question while bumping this thread to reflect the title change to the 20th)
The wiki article mentions Hesutu ensures life and health are balanced by entropy and death. Does that mean they have godly influences on sicknesses, or droughts or other weather events that could impact lives? Curious about anything regarding them.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Teri

Re: August 20th Voice Chat Log

Post by Teri »

bump for adding notes to the first post
Navi

Re: August 20th Voice Chat Log

Post by Navi »

As always thank you to the note takers and the people asking the questions. And extra appreciation goes to Rias for sitting with us and answering them all!
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again