Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Acarin
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 pm

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Acarin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:18 pm

This player escalated it instead of trying to resolve it. Not acting the way I did would have been very OOC, not an IC/OOC mix. My character wants to achieve an objective now through threats and intimidation that have been made clear to Navi so yes, being understanding here does compromise my rp. The intent here is not to show strength or be the bigger man against a bested foe and the combat situation is not "resolved" as it typically would be in some similar situations. Im not out to kill the character because I want to repeatedly kill the character. It's not even fun to kill Navi. That being said, my character has a simple demand and will keep pursuing it until achieved. I don't plan to play the merciful type nor should I have to. I have some very clear guidelines for how I'll be playing Acarin and I won't compromise that for meta actions or in the name of being understanding, unless those guidelines change based on how the naturally character evolves.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

User avatar
Lexx416
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Lexx416 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:22 pm

Acarin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:18 pm
This player escalated it instead of trying to resolve it. Not acting the way I did would have been very OOC, not an IC/OOC mix. My character wants to achieve an objective now through threats and intimidation that have been made clear to Navi so yes, being understanding here does compromise my rp. The intent here is not to show strength or be the bigger man against a bested foe and the combat situation is not "resolved" as it typically would be in some similar situations. Im not out to kill the character because I want to repeatedly kill the character. It's not even fun to kill Navi. That being said, my character has a simple demand and will keep pursuing it until achieved. I don't plan to play the merciful type nor should I have to. I have some very clear guidelines for how I'll be playing Acarin and I won't compromise that for meta actions or in the name of being understanding, unless those guidelines change based on how the naturally character evolves.
Really weird way to show you care about the community of the game bro.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."

User avatar
Karjus
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Karjus » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:29 pm

Acarin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:18 pm
This player escalated it instead of trying to resolve it. Not acting the way I did would have been very OOC, not an IC/OOC mix. My character wants to achieve an objective now through threats and intimidation that have been made clear to Navi so yes, being understanding here does compromise my rp. The intent here is not to show strength or be the bigger man against a bested foe and the combat situation is not "resolved" as it typically would be in some similar situations. Im not out to kill the character because I want to repeatedly kill the character. It's not even fun to kill Navi. That being said, my character has a simple demand and will keep pursuing it until achieved. I don't plan to play the merciful type nor should I have to. I have some very clear guidelines for how I'll be playing Acarin and I won't compromise that for meta actions or in the name of being understanding, unless those guidelines change based on how the naturally character evolves.
Well, if you're not willing to offer compromise in any regards to conflict then don't be surprised where that leads. I feel like all this is going to lead to is a constant cycle of kill/death with zero RP or enjoyment from either party. Frankly, why bother. It doesn't sound like you're enjoying it, or they are.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."

User avatar
Edoras
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Edoras » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:47 pm

The point I'm trying to make to you, Acarin, is that Cogg isn't going to shift -more- towards players being able to punish other players purely through mechanics than they are right now. If you want to play a character that is capable of strong-arming weak characters purely through game mechanics and not also through RP, then you're going to be disappointed. That's evidence by how you clearly think that "if you are trying to create a game where conflict is allowed, then not being able to drag a corpse is ridiculous." I understand why you're saying that, but Cogg isn't going to be a game where players are permitted to forcefully remove gear from other players.

I'm not saying that Navi's line of RP is valid, it's not. What I am saying is that the solution in Cogg is not going to be to give more mechanical ways for players to punish other players. If you want to play a character that is capable of strong-arming others even if they decide, as an undying, that they're not going to respond to death threats or even murder, you're going to have to play a character that is also capable of RPing your way to that end through things like blacklists or embargos, or through other RP-based means.

Acarin
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 pm

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Acarin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:50 pm

I'm sorry Lexx, but I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that because I want to play a somewhat merciless character and don't want to base my actions in game on anything OOC, that I don't care about this community? Just trying to understand the intent of your comment. I might just be really bad at empathy and not see it.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

User avatar
Lexx416
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Lexx416 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm

Acarin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:50 pm
I'm sorry Lexx, but I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that because I want to play a somewhat merciless character and don't want to base my actions in game on anything OOC, that I don't care about this community? Just trying to understand the intent of your comment. I might just be really bad at empathy and not see it.
I think that an inability to show empathy towards the players behind a character in a game that, by the code, is not a CvC free-for-all with high stakes and permanent punishments (regardless of the gritty nature of the setting) is directly contradictory towards an inclusive game community.

I also think you're arguing in bad faith, because you're attempting to consistently influence IC actions with OOC commentary, while creating needless drama. And that an unwillingness and inability to refuse to base actions on OOC factors is, in fact, awful for roleplaying and storytelling, and actually only good for wish fulfilment and bullying.


This whole mess leaves a really bad taste in my mouth (on both sides of the fence in this), and puts me off investing further into this community. Attitudes like this are exactly why I left the other game, and why I don't stick around games.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."

User avatar
Edoras
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Edoras » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm

Lexx wrote:This whole mess leaves a really bad taste in my mouth (on both sides of the fence in this), and puts me off investing further into this community. Attitudes like this are exactly why I left the other game, and why I don't stick around games.
I would ask you to reconsider your view on that topic. Situations like these are a guarantee in any game where players can harm each other, and I think that the overwhelming response on this thread has been very encouraging, especially Rias.

The existence of threads like these shouldn't turn you off: Rather, the consensus of the playerbase and staff (less so the specific players involved) should be what drives your view, and if I use that metric I'm very encouraged by this thread.

Acarin
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 pm

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Acarin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Lexx416 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm
I think that an inability to show empathy towards the players behind a character in a game that, by the code, is not a CvC free-for-all with high stakes and permanent punishments (regardless of the gritty nature of the setting) is directly contradictory towards an inclusive game community.

I also think you're arguing in bad faith, because you're attempting to consistently influence IC actions with OOC commentary, while creating needless drama. And that an unwillingness and inability to refuse to base actions on OOC factors is, in fact, awful for roleplaying and storytelling, and actually only good for wish fulfilment and bullying.


This whole mess leaves a really bad taste in my mouth (on both sides of the fence in this), and puts me off investing further into this community. Attitudes like this are exactly why I left the other game, and why I don't stick around games.
1. This is not a free for all and I'm not required to have empathy for other players in order to be reasonable in my approach. You are simply upset because I do not agree with how you think I should be as a player and a person.
2. I am not trying to influence anything IC in game. Everything I have said here that is IC related has already been said to the other player multiple times ICly in game. In addition, I did want to avoid drama and brought this up to Rias in a more private media specifically stating that I wanted to avoid drama. Apparently, I misinterpreted his response when I was told to voice it publicly. I have a course of action for my character and I am simply now defending it since I'm being accused of being a griefer and told that I'm wrong in my actions and should have behaved differently. I entirely disagree with you on your point about about basing rp on OOC actions and find your statement extremely contradictory. I can't discuss things OOCly because it will influence the IC actions, but I should base my IC actions on OOC things? This reasoning is extremely convoluted.
3) Sorry to hear that. I agree. Attitudes like this are why I left the other game as well. I hope you make the choice that's best for you and I'm sure if you decide to go, you'll be missed.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

Navi
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:07 am

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Navi » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:46 am

I'm sorry you feel that this has ruined your RP experience. I could go through everything my character did and explain my own RP reasoning for it. However, I doubt you'd care, and would probably respond with something else not entirely constructive. While I am a pretty good script maker, I can assure you in all of my time in combat, I have not been scripting.
I thank you for your help on the game channel. I'm sure you have been very helpful to others as well. My character was just doing the best they could to ignore your character's actions. Which, hey, if that's what spoiled your fun RL, I would then suggest just not interacting with me in an IC manner. I do hope you stick around, since COGG is a really fun game, and has really interesting players and personalities. There's more to do than kill players who have just been created.

Ephemeralis
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 am

Re: Moving player bodies to other locations other than the crypts.

Post by Ephemeralis » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:06 pm

I think we should endeavor to try and make things as fun as possible for each other, even during matters of conflict like this. There are plenty of MUDs where it is effortless to be a complete asshole to another player on either end of the aggressor-victim spectrum and we can make an earnest effort to not have COGG end up the same way by ensuring that others at least have a reasonable chance of retaliating meaningfully one way or another.

Post Reply