Fortify glyph

The usage of arcane glyphs and diagrams to power a wide variety of occult rituals.
nobody

Fortify glyph

Post by nobody »

Because
changelog wrote:
  • 12/30/20 General: Messaging when attacking barricaded portals will now include a rough estimate of how close the barricade is to being breached.
  • 12/30/20 General: Looking at or attempting to open portals that are barricaded shut will now indicate that they can be attacked to try and bash them open. (Some may be less obvious and not indicate this.)
and maybe also this
changelog wrote:
  • 12/30/20 Combat: The quality of armor items now has a small effect on their encumbrance rating.
I wanted to recommend a glyph that protects objects like a secondary layer of armor. I imagine it having a set damage absorbing limit (maybe equal to arcana or arcana/2?) as well as a time limit, but also only absorb a fraction of the damage on each hit, never 100% of the damage. That way an arcanist would be valuable during an active siege, but couldn't swing in and reinforce them days in advance, and also would be somewhat fruitless as a last ditch effort against a barricade that's already mostly beaten down.

This would be most useful (I think) with a change to allow draw occult small circle on <object> viable syntax and an additional activation glyph that activates once a circle is filled on the object it is drawn on. Drawing occult circles could have limits on size (and possibly material) that can be drawn on. For example, you could require that an object be large or huge in order to accommodate a small circle, for lore consistency and limiting unforeseen use cases.

For potential down-sides to using the fortify glyph, it might make armor more stiff (increasing armor encumbrance), and it might make fortifications more difficult to repair/upgrade (requiring more energy and/or RT per repair step). If placed on tools, it might also make them less effective (again requiring more energy and/or RT per step). An alternative downside would be some kind of occult feedback wherein the casting arcanist takes energy damage as the object is damaged (making an arcanist glyph-fortifying their own armor a risky proposition).
Rias
DEV

Re: Fortify glyph

Post by Rias »

Nifty idea. I like how some of the damage passes through so it''s not a 100% mitigation.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO