Occult Glyph Ideas & Tiering

The usage of arcane glyphs and diagrams to power a wide variety of occult rituals.
Agelity

Occult Glyph Ideas & Tiering

Post by Agelity »

Originally I was thinking that having certain occult diagrams be available as "recipe points" (similar as crafting), just exceedingly expensive comparatively, but I'm not sure how I'd go about it. Honestly, more abilities would probably be fine here. But, in the spirit of hashing out some ideas I've thought of the following:

Arcana skill rank tiering:

1-100:
The only available activator glyph is beldi, with a small circle + line for shapes. Basic glyphs locked behind abilities. Only requires 1 skill point to get, anything up to 100 exclusively increases duration.

101-200:
Can create a larger circle for a base that allow for group buffs; Bards and non-Arcanist scholars can have some additional benefit here. Arcanists have access to new exclusive glyphs as well.

201-300:
Can create 1-2 more lines that allow either activator modifiers or simultaneous glyph casting (for when those super sneaky types want an all-in-one diagram for the terlu + uyto buffs). The more glyphs within the circle the change it can horribly backfire. Arcanists have a natural resilience and thus a lower chance of this occurring. Arcanists can also access activator modifiers as part of the diagram: one to slightly increase effectiveness for significantly less duration, one to increase duration at slightly less effectiveness, another to decrease the likelihood of a multi-glyph activation backfiring. Allows for an activator, a modifier, and 1-2 other effects, or potentially an activator + 1-3 effects with a decent likelihood of an activator glyph + 3 effects leading to some unfortunate consequences. Perhaps taking some time with the glyph creation was worthwhile after all, eh?

301-400:
New activator that activates after a certain (adjustable?) time upon entering the circle. New shape includes a double-line that prevents any who aren't in your group from activating the glyph, and another that's a dashed line that does the opposite. An ability available to Alchemist and Arcanists allows them to affix certain glyphs to objects (including scrolls for the ol' portable glyph). Another ability for Alchemists in particular that allows objects to activate the glyph and obtain certain effects (like potions or precious stones/metals) to interact with the occult in unique ways, perhaps at 400 skill. For Arcanists at 400 skill they can now affix minor glyph effects to weaponry. Always a chance the weapons may not work the way you wish unless it's done by a competent Arcanist (the occult can't be too convenient).

401+:
Perhaps at a higher skill level Arcanists can eventually affix specific glyphs to their bodies that activate when certain things happen (if they're hit with a deadly attack it activates and minimizes the damage, potentially staggers the offender and puts both into some RT). For Alchemists (depending on their skill level potential) this could unlock some neat options for any transmutation effects, or just be used as a gate to unlock abilities that allow those effects. Running out of thoughts beyond this point.

Other shape + base ideas could include:

- A square that allows a glyph to activate only when a certain word is spoken (for ease of access, a few finite options to choose from, maybe an option for customization at higher levels and a chance it doesn't work... not sure how easy it'd be to not exploit or cause the server to suffer from occult effects)
- A triangle that allows the glyph to be activated multiple times depending on the energy invested into it (doesn't stack)
- Additional circles (like a ripple in a pond) that could have a similar effect to powering up the intended glyph effect but a high chance of it backfiring and no option to actually minimize with modifiers; high risk/high reward, like we're gambling back in Porto D'esilio
Agelity

Re: Occult Glyph Ideas & Tiering

Post by Agelity »

The tiered abilities idea that Rias floated inspired me to review this thread and reconsider some of the ideas I laid out. I was thinking that tiering could still definitely work for Arcanists, just not as I originally described. My question would be whether it should be tied to all glyphs, types of glyphs, or separate abilities that can be tiered that change the effects of ALL glpyhs. Example:

Occult Diagrams

Tier 1: Exactly how it exists, available to everyone and unlocks ore glyphs for certain specializations, plus you get Distyr which is pretty convenient if you aren't a Druid or want to carry torches/lanterns all over the place.
Tier 2: Available to Arcanists, Warlocks, Alchemists (eventually), maybe Bard & Physicker as well. Grants an extended duration and affects all members of a group when someone steps into the circle. The "buff" tier.
Tier 3: Available to Arcanists. Augments the abilities so that they are a little more effective (Distyr is one illumination level higher, Terlu causes you to be extra stealthy, etc.), lesser chance of negative effects happening for any future glyphs where that may be a possibility.

My thoughts are that limiting the tiering to specific abilities allows more ability point distribution for additional glyphs, or anything else really, while making it obvious who is more knowledgable with the occult: Arcanists in particular, but other Scholars + Bards might have a good idea how to utilize them in creative ways... except for Primalists who are too busy being cooler than the other Scholars anyway. Completely unbiased opinion, of course.

For Arcanists in particular, I also thought having access to some "field" type of glyphs would be really unique (like an anti-nethrim field that causes damage-over-time to any nethrim within vicinity of the area-wide effect, or one that grants a minor invisibility effect for group members). Takes some time to set up, so more of a preparation spell and maybe with additional resource costs (whatever it may be). To be used by much more skilled Arcanists, maybe also eventually tied to guild rank depending on the effect (like, 500-700 skill level appropriate skills would maybe require higher guild rank).
nobody

Re: Occult Glyph Ideas & Tiering

Post by nobody »

I was inspired by seeing this post and wanted to throw in some suggestions for glyphs.

Force glyph:
  • allows raw casts based on the arcana skill that deal bludgeon damage, duration of ability to use raw casts based on duration
  • combines with distyr to outline foes to penalize their stealth and add illumination to the room for any foes hit (duration of light should be less than normal for distyr, maybe cap at 15-25 seconds?)
  • combines with solca (vocal projection) to make subject unable to whisper (whispers are broadcast to room like say)
Galvanic glyphs (fire, electricity, acid, cold):
  • combines with dorun (warding sphere) to shield against same damage type (fire shields against fire, etc.)
  • combines with force glyph (above) to reduce damage and change type to match the galvanic glyph
Warmth glyph (or maybe combination of distyr + galvanic fire): warming buff that essentially halts further adverse effects of cold while active (doesn't help enough to warm/thaw out, so time in freezing environments is still limited, but less limited), use also accelerates nutrition decrease rate

Kinetic activation glyph (activated with kinetic impact, intended to be traced onto weapons):
  • combines with galvanic glyphs for flare effect, activated on first hit after (or alternatively as a single-use flare effect)
  • combines with existing standard glyphs (distyr, iquaj, solca, terlu, uyto) to activate those effects on the target