Physicker ability suggestion: trauma response training

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
nobody

Physicker ability suggestion: trauma response training

Post by nobody »

Umbra wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:25 am imagine just taking a stab wound from a dagger to the stomach and just immediate death..
yeah you're dieing and in a horrible way but dont just fall over dead in my opinion not to mention they would only be healable by physicker or similar.
I'd love to see a physicker ability that triggers sometimes when a party member would die of a mortal wound (and not from exceeding the max damage thresholds):
  • Throws the physicker into roundtime (if the physicker isn't staggered, surprised, prone, etc AND if the ability triggers)
  • Rolls a medical skill roll based on the damage taken for the mortal wound, the total damage to that body part, and maybe even total damage overall
    • thus, it is easier to stabilize a person that's taken 40 damage in one hit to the chest vs 80 damage in one hit to the chest,
    • and easier to stabilize a person that has taken 40 damage overall to the chest rather than 40 damage in the latest hit but 90 to the chest overall,
    • and also easier to stabilize someone that only has one serious wound rather than one that is bleeding out in 2 or 3 (or more) different hit locations).
  • If successful, stabilizes the otherwise deceased character, leaving them prone and staggered, but not dead
  • Shouldn't trigger for damage that goes over the max damage limit (eg 100 to the chest), death from energy loss, and (obviously) shouldn't trigger on the physicker themselves.
The fact that the Physicker is getting roundtime and the otherwise deceased character is prone and staggered will still make the situation potentially quite dangerous, but it'd be a considerably better outcome for the party than just outright death. Plus, it'll really add value to dragging those physickers out of the infirmaries and into the action.

Example medical check mechanic:
Target difficulty = (mortal damage + total damage to area after adding mortal damage) * (1 + (sum of amount of damage per hit location /100))
So someone with 4 damage to a leg and nothing else taking a dagger to the chest for 40 damage would have the physicker rolling against (40+40)*(1+44/100) = 80*1.44 = 115
While someone with 80 damage spread across non-chest areas and 20 damage on the chest prior to that 40 damage hit would have the physicker rolling against (40+60)*(2.4) = 240
And someone with 360 damage spread across non-chest areas and 20 damage on the chest prior to the 40 damage hit would have the physicker rolling against (40+60)*(5.2) = 520

Might need tweaking, but that should at least properly convey the idea I'm suggesting.
Talyn

Re: Physicker ability suggestion: trauma response training

Post by Talyn »

I really like this idea, reminds me of Medical checks in D&D when someone is close to death. Technically would be like they're in negative hit point range but your healer saves you just in time. Maybe a drawback would be morale hit for the nearly killed companion but hey you live in the end.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Oooo, I'm digging this idea. Maybe some kind of tier benefit to unlock the added bonus of auto-dragging them one room away if possible. Field medics, go!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Guess I'm going to have to start killing the physiker first...

Also, I think this needs to result in an energy drop to unconcious for the wounded person (just not death). I get saving people but the point of a mortal wound is that you did vital damage they can't survive. At a minimum, they would be in critical condition. Someone is not just going to be staggered after a dagger is driven into their head.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

or just have nightblades or a certain society with an ability that increases crit threshold making it really hard for the physicker to heal. I get it doesn't need to counter assassin like characters but it would help parties some. That or well that's just the downside of being a combat physicker in a CvC situation. You're going to get picked off quickly.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Yeah... I mean that would be a very significant counter against nightblades that do low damage and rely on crits but not impact other warriors much... so clearly I'm against it.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

or perhaps this only applies to certain locations of crits such as the chest and abdomen. The more I think about it, yeah if you're given a mortal wound to the head very little is bringing you back. However, I think a chest wound could in theory not kill you so instantly unless the blade is literally driven into your heart.
-NotRias
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Mark does not let you select location and picks the most vital area. Vital areas are well defined right now and armor class is based around chest being vital. We would have to change some definitions here... and this relies on the premise that a physiker could stabilize a wound that ordinary caused death quickly (meaning... within seconds).

I could live with some nightblade specific mortal wound buffs... see blade twist post... opening a wound further on impact to do more damage or so that it's harder to treat/physiker-block.
drawstring pouch (open).
Umbra

Post by Umbra »

A bit off topic but relevant to the idea of people assassinating the Physicker... in clok we're all aware that stealth is broken example you can guard yourself from melee and ranged sneak attacks and intercept ranged sneak attacks but not melee, Ive not tested if it is to work the same way in cogg or not but if I succeed my perception I would like to be able to guard against it even if it had to be a guardian ability
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

To go further off topic... I hope there is some sort of bad luck immortal that harbingers can align with that gives the ability to temporarily reverse people's abilities... for example... physikers end up harming instead of healing patients and guardian abilities backfire and result in greater damage to target when guarding (shield to the face accident while guarding). Maybe berserkers accidently focus on defense and their attacks weaken. Duelists get clumsy and land on their face every time they try to flip...
drawstring pouch (open).